American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Levee Restaurant On Us 51, Portage Wi

Quinn, Natalie and I recently made our Easter trek up to Northern Wisconsin...enroute we were able to take some of US 51, which is very well promoted these days in Wisconsin with the "Explore US 51" program...when we got to Portage, we stopped at an excellent little greasy spoon called the Levee Restaurant...it is an old truck stop from the 1940's, and the interior looks like it hasn't changed much from that time...the food (we had breakfast) was fantastic, and, from the pies sitting on the counter, it looks like they have some great pie! It is named for the Wisconsin River Levee which is right across US 51 from the place...It is a great place to stop taking your "highway 51" trip, and I recommend it (and taking US 51 from the IL border to Portage and points North...Tsingtao Kip

Quinn, Natalie and I recently made our Easter trek up to Northern Wisconsin...enroute we were able to take some of US 51, which is very well promoted these days in Wisconsin with the "Explore US 51" program...when we got to Portage, we stopped at an excellent little greasy spoon called the Levee Restaurant...it is an old truck stop from the 1940's, and the interior looks like it hasn't changed much from that time...the food (we had breakfast) was fantastic, and, from the pies sitting on the counter, it looks like they have some great pie! It is named for the Wisconsin River Levee which is right across US 51 from the place...It is a great place to stop taking your "highway 51" trip, and I recommend it (and taking US 51 from the IL border to Portage and points North...Tsingtao Kip

Thanks for the tip! But how does a guy pass up homemade pie? Must be it’s a lot easier to come by in Wisconsin than it is out west!

Never been into that area. I took a look via Google Earth. It looks like heavily farmed prairie country.

What are the highlights of a drive along US 51 in the area? Streets and Trips shows several small towns centered on the railroad that spill over to US 51 when it runs near the rail line. What are the small towns like?

Your post led me to visit the Wisconsin Department of Transportation site. Some states, such as mine (Washington) provide on line access to a photo data base of every foot of state roads, usually with the view ahead and to the right. I didn’t find that in Wisconsin, but I did discover an interesting program they call Rustic Roads.

They have identified over 100 rural roads with special character. I clicked on a few and they sound like terrific side trips on any two lane trip in Wisconsin. I looked for one along your route on US 51 and the route described below popped up as an example.

rustic20image.jpg

“Rich in heritage, Dyreson Road travels through fertile farmland and wooded areas. The road offers an excellent view of Lake Kegonsa as it crosses County B. Historic Dyreson Bridge over the Yahara River is the site of early Indian and pioneer crossings and is adjacent to ancient Indian effigy mound sites. Nearby wetlands provide glimpses of native waterfowl, fish and wildlife. Also located on the road is Dyreson House, an early Wisconsin homestead listed in the Wisconsin State Historical Society’s Inventory of Historic Places.”

(I have included the Ken Zingg photo of the Dyreson Bridge from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation Site)

That’s some 2.9 mile stretch of road! And many of the others are as interesting. Bravo to Wisconsin. A great idea!!

Thanks for the post and Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

• 2 months later...
Your post led me to visit the Wisconsin Department of Transportation site. Some states, such as mine (Washington) provide on line access to a photo data base of every foot of state roads, usually with the view ahead and to the right. I didn’t find that in Wisconsin, but I did discover an interesting program they call Rustic Roads.

They have identified over 100 rural roads with special character. I clicked on a few and they sound like terrific side trips on any two lane trip in Wisconsin. I looked for one along your route on US 51 and the route described below popped up as an example.

Never miss a chance to cruise one of those Rustic Roads. That is a great drive. I am especially fond of Snake Road, just west of Lake Geneva and off Wi-50.

• 2 years later...

Be sure to go to http://www.explorehwy51.com and put the Levee in as a Best of Hwy 51. You can even send in a bit about your Hwy 51 adventure for the Share Your Story part of the website.

Sites along the way include:

The world's biggest can of chili (Beloit), penny (Woodruff) and Corkscrew (Hurley- or close to largest corkscrew...it's big!)

Little Bohemia in Manitowish Waters (used in film Public Enenies with Johnny Depp)

UW Madison

Pumpkin on silo (Janesville)

Home Of Sterling North (Edgerton)

John Muir stomping grounds (Waushara County)

Point Brewery (Stevens Point)

Ginseng fields in Wausau area

and lots more!

Order a freee passport and journey journal at their website- cool stuff!