American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Foamhenge In Virginia

I thought it might be only one of those urban legends of roadside attractions, a replica of Stonehenge but made out of huge blocks of styrofoam. But it really does exist. And it was free to see, just drive into the lot and walk right up. Unlike the real Stonehenge, at Foamhenge you can get right up and touch. If you are heading south on Rt 11 it is about 1 mile before Natural Bridge and the equally enjoyable Monster Musem. We braved our tour of the Monster Museum to the end, with the unorthodox use of the light on my daughter's mobile phone to guide us through the pitch black maze. If you aren't brave or devious enough to get through the maze you are greeted by a huge chicken statue at the alternate exit. :P

I thought it might be only one of those urban legends of roadside attractions, a replica of Stonehenge but made out of huge blocks of styrofoam. But it really does exist. And it was free to see, just drive into the lot and walk right up. Unlike the real Stonehenge, at Foamhenge you can get right up and touch.

Back in 1976, when visiting the "real" Stonehenge, you could still walk up to and touch the stones. It was an amazing and awesome site, but some tourists could not respect the history, so now you cannot approach the structure up close.

255Stonehenge.jpg

This is how the site looked with tourists. I did not want to remember it with people all over, so I underexposed another shot to get the more mystic appearance here:

259StonehengeUnderexposed.jpg

A lot of great two lane roads to travel in the UK too.

Both are creations of Mark Cline, who makes giant fiberglass creatures at his Enchanted Castle Studio, just north of Foamhenge, same side. He's a great, crazy character who loves his work. Foamhenge was his April Fool's prank in 2004, and don't miss his Escape From Dinosaur Kingdom next to the Monster Museum/haunted house. Here's the website: http://www.enchantedcastlestudios.com (though no more tours - the original site was burned down by those worried by his fascination with monsters).

Brian Butko

www.brianbutko.com