American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

April 2007 - Forum Photo Contest - Calling All Photographers!

Jennifer

Good day everyone!

It's time for another American Road Forum contest! This contest will be a photo contest, and we want to see your best travel / road trip photos! The contest will span the next two weeks...here's how it will work:

-Week One: In the first week of the contest, submit your best road trip photo by replying to this thread. To post a photo in a message, follow these steps: Find the "File Attachments" link below your post area, then browse to a photo on your local computer. (Make sure the file size is below 500K (preferably below 250K, and 800 X 600 ppi)). The photo can be any type of "road trip" photo you wish - landscapes, cityscape, small town main street, diner, motel, bridges, whatever! Describe the photo as you wish, but at least include the subject matter and the location. Deadline: Tuesday, April 10, 2007

-Week Two: In the second week of the contest (starting Tuesday, April 10, 2007), I will post a poll listing each of the entrants and the subject/location of their photo. Then it's time for you - our forum members - to decide on the winner! Vote for your favorite photo and on Monday, April 16, 2007, I will close the poll.

The photo with the most votes wins a prize, and we will display your photo on the home page of the AMERICAN ROAD website!

One photo entry per member, per contest, please.

Good luck and have fun!!

Good day everyone!

It's time for another American Road Forum contest! This contest will be a photo contest, and we want to see your best travel / road trip photos!

This photo was taken in January 2007 at Meteor City, Arizona along US 66 as a meteor came screaming in from the west! Just kidding!! The photo was taken into the sun on a winter day. Thus the bit of snow on the ground.

The whole mood of the photo fits a place called Meteor City! I like the lens reflection near the left rear of the classic truck and the purple sun rays.

The store is a Route 66 classic. Along a wall is the longest Route 66 map in the world. Meteor City is about 14 miles west of Winslow, Arizona. on Route 66.

ARCMeteorCity800.jpg

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

Jennifer,

Just checking. You want to limit the contest to just one photo per member, that is “your best road trip photo”. No multiple entries from a member. Right, or not?

Dave

You are correct; one photo entry per member, per contest, please! But, as we will have more photo contests, you'll have more chances to enter your terrific photos. Have fun! :)

Choosing one photo is really tough. Should I go with the wide-open spaces of a western or Great Plains two-lane, the coziness of a country lane through the West Virginia mountains in autumn, or the colors of a meadow nestled in the Bighorn Mountains. I think I'll go with a two-lane through the Rockies.

This photo is from my trip across US 20 as the route climbs through the Shoshone National Forest between Cody, WY and Yellowstone NP. It's one of many scenic sections of US 20. (I think I have a picture taken from the same spot a few years earlier when I drove US 16, but back then the road was much narrower and curvier.) I really enjoy following two-lane roads as they wind through the mountains like this.

post-852-1175710381_thumb.jpg

I had a tough time selecting a photograph from my archives. Should I go with the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, or Fountains Abbey in England (seemed to miss the spirit of the contest) or even something from the Grand Tetons. Too many photos are on my computer.

I decided to use a photo that is also already in my Reese's Pieces photo gallery. Not to far off of Route 66 in Albuquerque NM is a shopping area named Old Town. This area is 300 years old, and features some great architecture, wonderful galleries and shops, and some good dining as well. Being from PA, the adobe structures were very romantic, and after a relaxed lunch, learning the history of Alfredo's Coffee House from Alfredo, I saw this entrance to a group of little shops, and felt it portrayed the mood of the district very well. I hope you agree.

post-104-1175778990_thumb.jpg

post-1679-1175781782_thumb.jpg

This image of a RV was taken along the Highland Scenic Highway (Rt 150) in the Monongahelia National Forest, Pocahontas County, West Virginia. The Highland Scenic Highway is a National Forest Scenic Byway with the Rt 150 section starting at the Cranberry Glades Botanical area visitors center along Rt 39/55 and travels 22 miles across mountains with elevations approaching 4,500 feet to US Rt 219 near Marlinton, West Virginia. It is especially beautiful in the autumn, but closed to traffic in the winter months.

I took this picture last year of the Mackinac Bridge. I am standing on the St. Ignace side. There is a great look out from that side, just had to do a little hiking for this pic. I was really happy with the way it turned out. I will be going on my first Rte 66 trip in less than a month. I hope to take some wonderful pictures and memories home from that.

:rolleyes:

post-1682-1175799781_thumb.jpg

Dear American Road:

Please accept the attached photo as an entry in your contest. Here are the details...

Title: An Old Fashioned Drive

Time: Spring 2006

Photographer: William H. Truesdell

Subject: Model A Fords and California Orange Groves

Thanks.

Bill Truesdell

post-1680-1175804230_thumb.jpg

This is a classic motel sign on Central Avenue (Route 66) in Albuquerque. The shot was taken in 2005, when there was talk about razing the motel to put in some condos. I felt lucky with the light, getting both direct sun on the sign and a dark cloudy sky behind. I cropped it tightly so that the details of the colors could be appreciated, and for dramatic effect.

Title: El Vado

Photographer: Berry Ives

Date: Fall 2005

WVFoto, great shot of a great road! My wife spent a year living in DC about 2 years back and we would do a road trip every time I got out there (did blue ridge, skyline, a lot of WV, amish country, etc). I love it out there!

Thanks,

I love visiting the western US it is so different from anything here in the east. If I'm out there for very long I miss the green mountains and valleys of our eastern mountains. We have to wait a little longer and look a little harder in the east for those great photo's...but they are here. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of my favorite drives. I try to get on it a couple of times a year.

Steve

WVFoto, great shot of a great road! My wife spent a year living in DC about 2 years back and we would do a road trip every time I got out there (did blue ridge, skyline, a lot of WV, amish country, etc). I love it out there!

post-257-1175895256_thumb.jpgHere is my entry for the photo contest. It is a photo taken of "Cool Springs" in November 2005, one of my favorite places on Route 66.

etchr66 :)

So many great photos already!

My photos is from Gatlinburg in the Smokey Mountains in TN. It was our first family holiday, along with my brothers and my parents that we've had in over 25 years. We drove down through Virginia and into Tennessee along the 321 to arrive into Gatlinburg. A much more scenic way to arrive than the 441 and less busy. Our chalet was way up along a winding road to the top of a mountain. Our neighbours informed us that they had seen a mother bear and her cubs going across the drive of the chalet earlier that day. The view from our chalet was magnificent, as this picture shows. post-1531-1175940361_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken last summer at Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge, along the Chesapeake Bay, south of Rock Hall on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. State road Route 445 ends right at the entrance to the refuge! It is a great birding and outdoor experience for folks of all ages. My 6 & 8 year old had a great time exploring the trails, softshell crabbing, and seeing their first bald Eagle! Kent County, Maryland is ranked as one of the "Best Places to Live in Rural America" for the Southeast Region by Progressive Farmer magazine. It is off the beaten track into rural Maryland, which most folks don't even realize exists 1 1/2 hours from Philly, DC, and Baltimore. We live nearby and take it so much for granted!

post-1698-1176144066_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken at the junction of U S 45 and U S 61, Clarksdale, MS - It's the cross-roads where legend says Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil so he could be the best bluesman in the world.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

post-349-1176153204_thumb.jpg

Edited by hester_nec

Soulsby's Shell Station, Mount Olive IL, Old Route 66

My buddy Larry Cox and I have taken an annual road trip for the last four years. While we have hundreds of pictures, one stands out in our minds, it was taken just behind a perfectly restored old shell service sation called Soulsby's Shell Service Station located on old Route 66 in Mount Olive IL. The Route 66 trip was our first road trip and we both remember the tree growing up between the ramps that used to be used to service the cars when Route 66 was in its hey day. I have many pictures of the Shell station but the tree growing up in the middle of the ramp has left a lasting memory with Larry and I.

Hope You enjoy it!

Ed Koschka

Good day everyone!

It's time for another American Road Forum contest! This contest will be a photo contest, and we want to see your best travel / road trip photos! The contest will span the next two weeks...here's how it will work:

-Week One: In the first week of the contest, submit your best road trip photo by replying to this thread. To post a photo in a message, follow these steps: Find the "File Attachments" link below your post area, then browse to a photo on your local computer. (Make sure the file size is below 500K (preferably below 250K, and 800 X 600 ppi)). The photo can be any type of "road trip" photo you wish - landscapes, cityscape, small town main street, diner, motel, bridges, whatever! Describe the photo as you wish, but at least include the subject matter and the location. Deadline: Tuesday, April 10, 2007

-Week Two: In the second week of the contest (starting Tuesday, April 10, 2007), I will post a poll listing each of the entrants and the subject/location of their photo. Then it's time for you - our forum members - to decide on the winner! Vote for your favorite photo and on Monday, April 16, 2007, I will close the poll.

The photo with the most votes wins a prize, and we will display your photo on the home page of the AMERICAN ROAD website!

One photo entry per member, per contest, please.

Good luck and have fun!!

For the photo contest: This is a photo of the abandoned Palmer Hotel in Afton, Oklahoma on Route 66. It was taken from my museum across the street and photoshopped to make it look like a watercolor painting. There's not much left in Afton, but there are still plenty of Route 66 travelers who pass through and many stop at my Route 66 museum and visitor center.

post-488-1176225256_thumb.jpg

Abandoned mining shack. This photo was taken 2 years ago on my return trip back to Ohio from the National Lincoln Highway Convention in Ely, Nevada. It was taken from the Mosquito Pass 4wd roadl east of Leadville, Colorado. This pass is an old stagecoach route to Denver and is one of the highest roads in the USA at about 13,000 feet.

post-1686-1176242812_thumb.jpg