American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Top Twelve 2007 Destinations

RoadDog

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has just published their 2007 list of distinctive destinations.

I've been to Woodstock, Illinois, quite often, and drove through West Hollywood, Ca., but haven't been to any of the other sites which also include Charlottesville, Va., Chatham, Mass., and Durango, Co.

For the complete list, go to:

www.nationaltrust.org

I'd be interested if anyone has any comments about the others.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has just published their 2007 list of distinctive destinations.

I've been to Woodstock, Illinois, quite often, and drove through West Hollywood, Ca., but haven't been to any of the other sites which also include Charlottesville, Va., Chatham, Mass., and Durango, Co.

For the complete list, go to:

www.nationaltrust.org

I'd be interested if anyone has any comments about the others.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

You are a keen observer! Thanks for the tip. One of the destinations on this year’s list is Ellensburg, Washington. Ellensburg is definitely worth a stop, and it is working to recapture and preserve its heritage. However on my last visit, I don’t remember seeing any recognition of the Yellowstone Trail, which went through Ellensburg.

1915 Ellensburg Garage Ad:

http://www.pair.com/davepaul/americanroad/garage.jpg

The westbound Yellowstone passed through Ellensburg from the south because the route before 1925 swung in an oxbow from Spokane to Walla Walla, Sunnyside, North Yakima, then northward to Ellensburg before turning west to historic Cle Elum and over Snoqualmie Pass to Seattle.

The whole area is rich in road lore and many of the old routes still exist through pristine countryside, along sparkling rivers, and through historic towns. They rank among the most scenic and interesting in the Northwest.

Section of 1917 Auto Club Strip Map of Roads in and around Ellensburg:

http://www.pair.com/davepaul/americanroad/ellensburg1917.jpg

The old roadbed of the Yellowstone Trail between Ellensburg and Yakima still exists, little used, and partially dirt, but in good condition. Not surprisingly, it was an old wagon road of the late 1800’s. If anyone asks, I will post the detailed 1915 and modern directions in the Yellowstone Trail section of the forum.

Let's Keep the Show on the Road!

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

I've visited many towns on the list posted by the National Trust. Each one is special in its own way.

One thing I'll say about New Orleans - is be prepared to break your diet. I think I ate my way through the city. New Orleans is rich in history, tradition, and cuisine! I was there for a week and I must have gained 10 pounds! But, it was worth it.

:D

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

Great Po' Boys (I'm sorry that the Popeye's chain chose to drop them), but...Ooohhh, those muffaletta sandwiches!!!!!!! This is the original Dagwood Sandwich. You can still get one from where it was invented., Central Grocery on Decatur Street.

I don't know which I like better, the olive sauce or meat.

To make a sandwich for six: loaf of Italian bread, cup of olive mix, one-fourth lbs. of Mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, ham, hard salami, and mortadella (whatever that is).

Definitely not a sandwich for the week of heart.

You can find out more info at:

www.colorpro.com/sandwiches/muffuletta/history.htm

Wonder if I can get some place to deliver right here in northern Illinois?

Keep on Eatin' Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

I've visited many towns on the list posted by the National Trust. Each one is special in its own way.

One thing I'll say about New Orleans - is be prepared to break your diet. I think I ate my way through the city. New Orleans is rich in history, tradition, and cuisine! I was there for a week and I must have gained 10 pounds! But, it was worth it.

:D

Becky Repp

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

mortadella (whatever that is).

Mortadella (the real Italian variety) is a salami made from pork sausage, though it's a little unique because of its spices. I have seen "American style" mortadella, which I think seems more like bologna.

My favorite Italian deli meat is prosciutto anyway...a great sandwich is on Italian bread: prosciutto, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and oil & vinegar or Italian dressing...mmmmm! And by "fresh mozzarella," I mean the kind you need to get in the specialty cheese area; it's a soft, pure white cheese, typically packaged in water....not the aged kind.

Jennifer