American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

What In The World Is A Horseshoe, And Why Would I Want To Eat One

RoadDog

On the occasion of Barack Obama announcing his presidential run outside of the old state capitol in Springfield this past Saturday, the Chicago Tribune ran two articles, one on the significance of the building, and the other on the city's cuisine, notable the horseshoe. More on the food later.

Of interest in the old state capitol was Lincoln serving his one state legislative term in the building 1840-41. It was a Lincoln and the Long Nine who were instrumental in getting the capital moved from Vandalia to Springfield. It is also the site of his famous "House Divided" speech during the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Also, after his assassination in 1865, his body lay in state here before being buried at nearby Oak Ridge Cemetery.

Two other, little known facts are that the ill-fated Donner Party left from here back in 1845. Plus, in 1838, close to 850 Pottawatomie Indians passed through during the Trail of Tears.

There was also an article about the cuisine of the capital city. For any of you who have never had the pleasure, the big thing is the horseshoe. This concoction is the very pinnacle of eating and consists of a piece of toasted bread, covered with your choice of meat, usually hamburger, but also you can order it it with buffalo wings, shrimp, beef, sausage, or many other items. That is then covered in a cheese sauce mixed with french fies. Now that just has to get your saliva juicing and cholesterol pumping.

One popular place to get it is Springfield's oldest sports bar, Sportsman's Lounge, dating from the 40s. They specialize in a grilled pork tenderloin horseshoe.

You can also get a smaller portion called, get this, a ponyshoe. I've even seen breakfast shoes at various establishments as well. Two other great places are D'Arcy's Pint and Charlie Parker's.

If you like Italian, the place to go is Saputo's with their popular, and very secret, garlic sauce.

Located north of town is one of the Maid-Rite restaurants. They are famous for their "Loose Meat" sandwiches and date back to the 1920s. Allegedly, this is where the first American Drive-Thru was.

They didn't mention one of my favorite places (and where we had our very first horseshoe) Norb Andy's, located just a few blocks from the new capitol. It is rumored that many political deals were cut here over the years. You dined and drank downstairs at this establishment dating back to the 1850s. Unfortunately, it has been closed since summer. Hopefully, they will reopen soon as I need to have my Norb fix.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

We got the impression that Norb Andy's is permanently closed when we talked with Springfield friends last September at the Route 66 Festival. Always liked the place. Don't forget the Coney Island when listing cool places to eat. Is it still open?....Bliss

On the occasion of Barack Obama announcing his presidential run outside of the old state capitol in Springfield this past Saturday, the Chicago Tribune ran two articles, one on the significance of the building, and the other on the city's cuisine, notable the horseshoe. More on the food later.

Of interest in the old state capitol was Lincoln serving his one state legislative term in the building 1840-41. It was a Lincoln and the Long Nine who were instrumental in getting the capital moved from Vandalia to Springfield. It is also the site of his famous "House Divided" speech during the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Also, after his assassination in 1865, his body lay in state here before being buried at nearby Oak Ridge Cemetery.

Two other, little known facts are that the ill-fated Donner Party left from here back in 1845. Plus, in 1838, close to 850 Pottawatomie Indians passed through during the Trail of Tears.

There was also an article about the cuisine of the capital city. For any of you who have never had the pleasure, the big thing is the horseshoe. This concoction is the very pinnacle of eating and consists of a piece of toasted bread, covered with your choice of meat, usually hamburger, but also you can order it it with buffalo wings, shrimp, beef, sausage, or many other items. That is then covered in a cheese sauce mixed with french fies. Now that just has to get your saliva juicing and cholesterol pumping.

One popular place to get it is Springfield's oldest sports bar, Sportsman's Lounge, dating from the 40s. They specialize in a grilled pork tenderloin horseshoe.

You can also get a smaller portion called, get this, a ponyshoe. I've even seen breakfast shoes at various establishments as well. Two other great places are D'Arcy's Pint and Charlie Parker's.

If you like Italian, the place to go is Saputo's with their popular, and very secret, garlic sauce.

Located north of town is one of the Maid-Rite restaurants. They are famous for their "Loose Meat" sandwiches and date back to the 1920s. Allegedly, this is where the first American Drive-Thru was.

They didn't mention one of my favorite places (and where we had our very first horseshoe) Norb Andy's, located just a few blocks from the new capitol. It is rumored that many political deals were cut here over the years. You dined and drank downstairs at this establishment dating back to the 1850s. Unfortunately, it has been closed since summer. Hopefully, they will reopen soon as I need to have my Norb fix.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog