American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Last Call For Lh Travel Tips

My follow-up to Greetings, called Lincoln Highway Companion, will publish in Spring 2008, but the deadline to hand it to the publisher is looming in February. This guidebook will have a lot less text but bigger maps and some large photos.

Last year, I mentioned to this group that I also will list a couple places per state to eat and sleep. I especially like people's first-hand accounts of visiting these places.

I've gotten wonderful tips, some by members here, ranging from diners in NYC to a luxurious vintage hotel in San Fran, but I still have a few gaps in case you have a top-notch place you want to tell everyone about:

WY

NE

Western IA

Eastern PA

NJ

I know of restaurants and motels in these areas, but I prefer to use first-hand accounts from others to make it more fun and interesting. (And do you really want me to comment on homefries with cheese from coast-to-coast?) These can be short - 10 to 100 words - saying what you liked so much. www.brianbutko.com has an email link if you'd like to contact me and help spread the word on your favorite Lincoln Highway eatery or accommodations.

As you know, one of my all-time favorites, the Lincoln Motor Court in Cheyenne, was just demolished, so there's no better way to save such places than to send customers their way.

Thanks,

Brian Butko

I'd like to recommend the Lincoln Inn in Dekalb, Illinois, if you don't already have too many places to eat in the Land of Lincoln. You can sit looking out at the old road and have the greatest fresh-baked toast anywhere I've ever been.