American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lincoln Motor Court Gone

One of my all-time favorite motels, the Lincoln Motor Court in Cheyenne, has just been demolished. We've got to spread the word on the value of these places to the traveling public!

Brian

I've not been on the Lincoln west of some bits in Illinois so I'm not familiar with Cheyenne's Lincoln Motor Court. I saw the post and jumped to the conclusion that the Lincoln Motor Court near Bedford, PA, had gone down. I've never stayed there either (my one chance ruined by a lousy navigator - me) but I have looked it over and intend to spend a night there when I get the chance. I certainly don't want to downplay the loss of the Court in Cheyenne but must admit to a little relief to learn that the Court in Bedford is still there.

Sorry for the scare! The Bedford cabins (built 1944) are indeed precious and still there when I passed by two weeks ago. The Cheyenne motel was formally Lincoln Court. It looked more typical of a 1950s motel, but apparently traced back to a cabin camp of the 1920s, as seen in sepia postcards. Garages were added next to each cabin and eventually joined under one roof - when we stayed there, the room sizes seemed to indicate which were original and which started as a garage. Along with a pleasant setting, sign, and playground, it still had what was called the state's first outdoor, in-ground swimming pool. The business eventually expanded into the adjacent Hitching Post Inn, and until that hotel answers my email, I'll guess that few travelers chose the motel over the huge inn (though decades old itself). An internet search finds an application last Fall to split the property and apparently remove the old motel for a new hotel. There are other vintage motels along this stretch, but if the LMC can't make it, the others won't last long either. Route 66 fans have convinced most business owners and town supervisors along their road of the advantages of preservation. The Lincoln needs similar public awareness to stem the tide.

Brian,

So was the Lincoln still a good place to stay? I know it's one thing to lose a classic motel that's seen its better day, but to lose one that's still well-maintained and has good clientele is a tough one to lose.

Our family loved staying there, and our van had problems while in town so we were in the room a lot. Some online reviews of it are negative, but we've learned to take these lightly: many motel reviewers have no tolerance for the smallest irregularity, inconvenience, or old fixture. (Unlike me - I adore and photograph any bathroom with vintage tile, sink, and lights. The Rail Haven on 66 in Springfield, MO, comes to mind.)

In this case, guests had to go next door (a 20-second walk) for amenities like the restaurant or indoor pool. But we liked the cool styling and landscaping, nice sign, play area with climb-on stagecoach, the outdoor pool looked great, we had no problem using the laundry, and the staff was glad to talk about its history.

For my book after 2007's Roadside Attractions - 2008's Lincoln Highway Companion - I try to list a couple places per state to stay or eat. The Lincoln Motor Court will be the premier stop in the east; Cheyenne's Lincoln Court was to be the premier spot in the west....

Sorry to hear the news. Some places are so far gone, demolition is the only answer. When something like this happens, it's unexcusable.

Guess that's one place I won't get to stay when I get around to driving the whole road.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

• 2 weeks later...

This is indeed sad news. I would encourage anyone that as soon as they catch news that a historic motel is in jeopardy (one that is not too far gone to save) - let us know. We can always start a letter campaign and get media attention for it. Additionallly, we anticipate that the American Road Foundation (which is moving forward) will be able to be of assistance in these matters as well.

Best,

Becky