American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 40/booneslick Rd

rudkipon66

In working on our little trip, I have come across old maps of Missouri from 1918 and 1920...they have what was then the National Old Trails Rd and the Midland Trail following the path of the Booneslick Rd. from St. Charles to Booneville...US 40 straigtened out a couple of "curves" (the Booneslick went through Fulton and back up to Columbia, US 40 does not; the Booneslick also went south from St. Charles through Cottleville, then headed North, meeting up with Old US 40 at Warrenton)....anybody know when the route that became US 40 was completed and these "curves" were cut off? Just curious...Tsingtao Kip

The internet seems almost unaware that The Midland Trail existed anywhere outside of West Virginia. But Dave Schul ( http://www.marion.ohio-state.edu/fac/schul...al/midland.html ) indicates it went through Jefferson City (a US-50 town) and so does Mark Everhart's poster ( http://www.users.uswest.net/~everhart/highways.htm ). Mark says his map is more or less a 1924 snapshot. Not sure what date Dave had in mind. Could you verify that the 1918/1920 maps ran the Midland on the same route as Boone's Lick?

A 1925 Nation Old Trails Road map seems to pretty much match the Boone's Lick Road route that Dan Rothwell has in his book which is the sum total of my Boone's Lick Road knowledge. I'd guess that 1926 version of US-40 basically overlaid the NOTR in Missouri and streamlined things later. I bet the people in Fulton & Cottleville, just like the folks in Santa Fe, knew when it happened.

Well, it seems my guess was completely wrong. I knew better than to assume that US-40 initially followed the NOTR and it seems that Fulton & Cottleville are two places where it did not. I just checked out a mid-1920s atlas and it shows both of those towns being bypassed by the new US route. The atlas shows no copyright date but it brags that it has the "New Federal Numbering System" and it shows what we know as US-66 as US-60 so I figure 1925/26 is about right. Three types of roads are marked: paved, improved, & unimproved. The path through Fulton (i.e., Boone's Lick Road & the NOTR) is marked as improved while US-40 is unimproved. Cottleville does not appear on the 192X atlas maps but US-40 certainly appears to go straight to Wentzville without the southern curve required to pass through Cottleville. This impression is reinforced by a 1925 NOTR map and a 1935 atlas which do show Cottleville.

But here's another question. US-40 originally ran through St Charles. It now runs directly from St Louis to Wentzville. So Fulton & Cottleville were never abandoned by US-40 because they were never on it but St Charles was. When did that happen?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it seems my guess was completely wrong. I knew better than to assume that US-40 initially followed the NOTR and it seems that Fulton & Cottleville are two places where it did not. I just checked out a mid-1920s atlas and it shows both of those towns being bypassed by the new US route. The atlas shows no copyright date but it brags that it has the "New Federal Numbering System" and it shows what we know as US-66 as US-60 so I figure 1925/26 is about right. Three types of roads are marked: paved, improved, & unimproved. The path through Fulton (i.e., Boone's Lick Road & the NOTR) is marked as improved while US-40 is unimproved. Cottleville does not appear on the 192X atlas maps but US-40 certainly appears to go straight to Wentzville without the southern curve required to pass through Cottleville. This impression is reinforced by a 1925 NOTR map and a 1935 atlas which do show Cottleville.

But here's another question. US-40 originally ran through St Charles. It now runs directly from St Louis to Wentzville. So Fulton & Cottleville were never abandoned by US-40 because they were never on it but St Charles was. When did that happen?

Only 6 more days until the annual "Sweetheart Cruise" from St. Charles, MO to Boonville, MO on the old Booneslick Trail route. (Mary Sue and I created the Sweetheart Cruise idea several years ago after suffering a severe case of February cabin fever. We invited cruisin' friends to drive old 66 from STL to Dwight, IL, have dinner at the Riviera, and stay the night. Early group breakfast on Sunday and then cruise back on 66 with a trip-ending stop at the Luna Cafe in Mitchell. One year we spent the night in Pontiac at the Downtowner after a great dinner just across the street from the courthouse and the motel. The annual cruise interest gradually dwindled and we stopped making any plans until Kip took up the banner and now maps out the cruise. Thanks, Kip.)

Anyhooo, this year's cruise will begin at the historic courthouse in St. Charles on February 17th and will meander through St. Charles and Cottleville before hitting "the country" to Wright City, Warrenton, Jonesburg, High Hill, New Florence, Williamsburg, Calwood, Fulton, Millersburg, Columbia, Rocheport, Franklin, New Franklin, and Boonville. During the 126 mile cruise we will be looking for DAR markers, Katy Trail, etc. before enjoying dinner, beverages, and road tales at the Stein House Cafe in Boonville where we will spend the night.

If you would like to cruise along with our small group and want more details, contact Kip at:

rudkip@sbcglobal.net

Happy Trails.....Bliss