American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Is New? American Roads (plural) Forum A Good Thing?

I stumbled across a forum with the name American Roads (plural) It seems to have a purpose nearly identical to this American Road (singular) forum. Are we enjoying a wealth of opportunity, a division of interest, or an intentional or unintentional near duplication of names? I just want to Keep the Show on the Road so I suggest we discuss it.

Dave

I stumbled across a forum with the name American Roads (plural) It seems to have a purpose nearly identical to this American Road (singular) forum. Are we enjoying a wealth of opportunity, a division of interest, or an intentional or unintentional near duplication of names? I just want to Keep the Show on the Road so I suggest we discuss it.

Dave

I am not sure if it was intentional or not, but it seems that it is a duplication and probably not necessary to have another one so similar, but that is my opinion for what it's worth.

I used to be an Administrator on a forum named PC Pitstop, which is a support forum for the PC Pitstop diagnostic test website, but also for PC users to get help with a variety of PC issues. Both the website and forum are very busy sites.

Elsewhere on the Internet is a website named PC PitStop. Notice that the only difference in the name is the capital letter S in PC PitStop. It seemed pretty obvious to us that this site was created after the PC Pitstop site, because the only difference in the address of the two websites was a hyphen in pc-pitstop. But due to the fact that it was basically just an online computer parts store, and not the same type of website the owners decided that the name of that site didn't harm PC Pitstop in any way, so they didn't worry about it.

Later a website that was also named PC Pitstop appeared on the Internet. This one however, while basically an online computer store like the other one, was using the PC Pitstop logo that the owners had paid someone to design and had a registered US Copyright on, thus it was a case of Copyright Infringement.

Even though the type of business was different, they were clearly using the PC Pitstop logo without the owners permission. So the owner contacted them, made a few threats about legal action if the logo was not removed, and after awhile they changed it to one of their own. I don't know if they made one themselves or if they "used" someone else's image, but the Copyrighted PC Pitstop logo was removed as requested.

So I would say that unless this other website does the exact same thing as American Road, and or they have taken and used any Copyrighted material that belongs to American Road, I wouldn't worry about it. But if they have... Git a lawyer and go git 'em!