American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Heading South From Washington Dc To Savannah

Aussie Lady

Hi

We are arriving in NYC on the 30 March 2007 and collecting an RV the following morning, heading south to Baltimore for a couple of days to visit friends and then onto the Capital for a full day or two. We have been to DC on a previous trip to the States, but still more to see. From DC we are heading south to Savannah - any suggestions on what to see on our way down, places to stay, etc. We plan to spend three days in Savannah, then head North West to Asheville to the Great Smokey Mountains, any suggestions, again, where to stay, what to see, etc. From there we will make our way to Cincinatti to visit friends, then back to NYC.

We are two middle aged women, so not really into the extreme sports, such as hiking, skiing, etc, but love scenery, wildlife, whales, a touch of historical stuff, would really appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Kris

Hi

We are arriving in NYC on the 30 March 2007 and collecting an RV the following morning, heading south to Baltimore for a couple of days to visit friends and then onto the Capital for a full day or two. We have been to DC on a previous trip to the States, but still more to see. From DC we are heading south to Savannah - any suggestions on what to see on our way down, places to stay, etc. We plan to spend three days in Savannah, then head North West to Asheville to the Great Smokey Mountains, any suggestions, again, where to stay, what to see, etc. From there we will make our way to Cincinatti to visit friends, then back to NYC.

We are two middle aged women, so not really into the extreme sports, such as hiking, skiing, etc, but love scenery, wildlife, whales, a touch of historical stuff, would really appreciate any advice.

Cheers

Kris

In Savannah you could visit the battleship (WWII era) USS NORTH CAROLINA. Also in Savannah is a good resturant, 'The Lady & Sons" - web site @ http://www.ladyandsons.com/

Have a great trip.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

(PS - don't forget we drive on the wrong side of the road up here - or maybe it's the right side!! hehe)

Wow. That's a pretty cool trip you've got coming up. Since you've been to DC before, you're undoubtedly aware of the vast array of stuff in the various Smithsonian museums. The Museum of the American Indian is pretty new (2004) so you may not have seen it. Definitely worth while. Be aware that the American History Museum is closed for major renovation. A little south of DC is US history in a large dose at Williamsburg with Jamestown and Yorktown nearby. The Colonial Parkway that connects all three is a fairly nice drive, too.

South of there, I know that you're going through some beautiful history drenched territory but I'm stumped in coming up with real specifics. With the mention of Ashville, the Biltmore Estate ( http://www.biltmore.com/ ) immediately comes to mind but I have to confess to never having been there. Even if you are restricted to expressways (How big is that RV?) you'll find that I-40 through the Smokys is better than most. Are you planning any sightseeing time on the Ashville-Cincinnati run? What about Cincinnati-NYC? As the trip gets closer and even as it progresses (We're talking a goodly amount of time here.) more specific question may come up. Give the forum a shot at those too, if you can.

BTW, you had an extra 't' and were short one 'n' in Cincinnati but not to worry. That's how just about everyone who doesn't live here spells it. I believe I got it right after living here only a few years. B)

• 1 month later...

The Outer Banks of NC are a definite stop. You can see where the Wright brothers flew their plane and the Lost Colony.

If you get by any place serving Carolina pit-cooked bbq, stop in. This is pork done in a vinegar base. That, along with the necessary coleslaw, hushpuppies, and sweet tea, is a real taste treat. Personally, every fork full I put in my mouth has to have equal parts bbq and coleslaw.

Farther down, by Wilmington, NC, is the Battleship North Carolina, a great old downtown and riverfront. If you like flowers, check out Orton Plantation and the city might be having their azalea festival then. Also, you'll be able to visit Fort Fisher, site of the largest amphibious operation during the Civil War.

Right by the SC-NC line, the small town of Calabash has the best shrimp I've ever tasted.

Then there's Myrtle Beach. Check out the local Beach Music scene, and I'm not talking about Beach Boys music.

Hi

Cheers

Kris

Another 2 cents worth from Maine - you might want to take a walkabout thru my daughters web site @ http://www.geocities.com/sumpnrottn/LadysC...venturePg1.html

This site documents a trip she took a couple of years back with her favorite dog (Rottweiler) Lady. To calm any fears anybody might have about Lady, she was a certified therapy dog - the first and, so far, only Rotty so certified in the Memphis area to go into nursing homes to visit and raise spirts of the "old folks".

Unfortunately, we lost Lady in January - she was around 14½, 15 years and it was time for her to leave.

Anyway, this trip site of KC's has some great information on eastern North Carolina.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr