American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Very Nice Christmas Idea

Hi fellow roadies,

What I am about to post is not truly road related - but I happen to think it to be a great idea. Being retired military I know what it is to be away from home over the holidays and little things, such as this, mean more than anyone can ever know.

This one came from a classmate of mine - I think it's a great idea. Might be the best 39 cents you ever spent.

When making out your Christmas card list this year,

consider adding:

A Recovering American Soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue, NW >> Washington, DC 20307-5001

And, don't hesitate to share this if you think it's

as good an idea as I do.

Blessed, peaceful Christmas!

• 10 months later...
Alex,

What a wonderful idea.

I have already passed this on to a few other hobby lists.

And have yourself a safe and Merry Christmas.

Sad to say, I heard from several people that their effort was returned - either "not our policy to distribute this" or "wrong address" - sounds like govm't BS to me.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Sad to say, I heard from several people that their effort was returned - either "not our policy to distribute this" or "wrong address" - sounds like govm't BS to me.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

I read your excellent suggestion, and thought I would send a gift subscription of American Road....until I read your follow up. I tried to get through to our local Madigan Veterans Hospital via the internet to learn how they would treat a subscription gift. No luck, the server timed out.

Why don’t we make it a little crusade to get through to the right people to make it possible to send something like a subscription. I can understand why they might discourage random gift giving because someone has to check each gift and do something, and if it caught on, someone would have to make some decisions that might be unpopular, etc. It is easier to just reject everything.

But a magazine subscription is benign, it requires no review or decision, it can pass from person to person, and it doesn’t spoil. It brings pleasure for weeks or months (until the pages are worn out), and in the case of American Road, it offers an upbeat and positive perspective.

Are we game to see if we can break through to an enlightened decision maker in the bureaucracy? If so, do we start at the top, bottom, or at both? Or perhaps there is an organization that has cracked the barriers and will help. I'm ready.

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Sorry to be a bit behind on things. Lots going on here at magazine headquarters. We're trying to get the Winter edition on press and Amber, Pat and Jennifer's daughter, was VERY busy posting new products, gift sets, and holiday sales to the store this week!.

Anyway, I read the posts re: sending something to our men and women in the armed forces and wanted to see if we can work together to make something happen. If people are interested, we can donate some magazines to send to our soldiers oversees and/or back from overseas & now recovering from injuries. We would likely need some help covering shipping. I'm not sure how to go about making this happen, but we are ready & willing. Let me know if you have any idea how to coordinate something like this. We do have a base nearby. . . but, that's the extent of my military knowledge.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Becky

Alex,

I read your excellent suggestion, and thought I would send a gift subscription of American Road....until I read your follow up. I tried to get through to our local Madigan Veterans Hospital via the internet to learn how they would treat a subscription gift. No luck, the server timed out.

Why don’t we make it a little crusade to get through to the right people to make it possible to send something like a subscription. I can understand why they might discourage random gift giving because someone has to check each gift and do something, and if it caught on, someone would have to make some decisions that might be unpopular, etc. It is easier to just reject everything.

But a magazine subscription is benign, it requires no review or decision, it can pass from person to person, and it doesn’t spoil. It brings pleasure for weeks or months (until the pages are worn out), and in the case of American Road, it offers an upbeat and positive perspective.

Are we game to see if we can break through to an enlightened decision maker in the bureaucracy? If so, do we start at the top, bottom, or at both? Or perhaps there is an organization that has cracked the barriers and will help. I'm ready.

After my initial post I came up with an idea. We will donate $1 from every incoming order to our on-line store between now and December 31 toward the cost of shipping magazines to our service men and women. You may also donate money specifically for this purpose—please contact me directly at becky@americanroadmagazine.com.

Best,

Becky Repp

After my initial post I came up with an idea. We will donate $1 from every incoming order to our on-line store between now and December 31 toward the cost of shipping magazines to our service men and women. You may also donate money specifically for this purpose—please contact me directly at becky@americanroadmagazine.com.

Best,

Becky Repp

Sounds good to me.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

TennesseeTraveler

Memphis, TN

Wow! I am absolutely overwhelmed. We have a wonderful American Road family.

Within minutes of sending out an announcement via our e-newsletter, I received a generous donation of $100 toward the cause to get copies of American Road magazine in the hands of our service men and women. Many thanks to William Truesdell of "The Management Advantage" in Walnut Creek, California for this contribution. These funds will go a long way toward meeting our goal of shipping at least 250 magazines. Any funds beyond what is necessary to ship these initial copies of American Road magazine will go toward shipping future editions and/or providing other gifts to remind the men and women serving our country of-or get them in touch with-family and home.

:)

Thanks everyone,

Becky Repp

Best,

Becky Repp

Hi gang,

I'm thrilled to report that we have received two additional donations - one from Hank and Kris Hallmark and another anonymous donation from "one of our frequent American Road Forum members." Many thanks. We now have $175 toward shipping costs. We will provide information on the number and distribution of the packages.

Best,

Becky

Hi Gang,

Here's the update.

After multiple phone calls, I have the addresses of two platoons in Iraq - equaling 35 people - for whom we will be assembling care packages that include copies of American Road magazine (we will send multiple copies of different issues to each platoon - so that they can circulate different reading material). We are including in the packages other care items that these men & women requested: popcorn, various books, candy, protein bars, lotion, hot chocolate packets, DVDs, etc.

If we have any money left from the donations that we have received after assembling these packages, we will identify another platoon. We still have magazines available to donate (we mentioned that we could donate at least 250 magazines for this purpose- we will attempt to identify a source where we might send one package for mass distribution.

Thank everyone for your help!

Becky :D

We're just about done packing up the boxes to ship to the two platoons in Iraq. We need one more thing. . . a few letters to include in the package. I'm putting cards in each box from American Road staff. But, it would be wonderful if we could get a few letters (I could print them out if you email them to me at becky@americanroadmagazine.com) it would be icing on the cake. As a matter of fact, I understand that letters are one of the most requested items from these men and women serving our country. We are in a hurry to get these out . . . so, even just a short note would suffice.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi Gang,

Here's a brief update:

Half of the boxes were mailed to the platoons today. The rest of them will be mailed tomorrow. . We received a great deal of assistance—generous donations of money, goods, and time from American Road Forum members, subscribers, and staff, including:

Beverly Greer (Mich.)

Hank and Kris Hallmark (Calif.)

Louis Leurig (Md.)

The Management Advantage (Calif.)

Michelle McCollum (S. Car.)

Several anonymous donations from individuals all over the USA

South Carolina National Heritage Corridor

Tom and Patricia Repp (Mich)

Thanks everyone!

Half of the boxes were mailed to the platoons today. The rest of them will be mailed tomorrow. We received a great deal of assistance—generous donations of money, goods, and time...

Thanks everyone!

Thank you Becky and staff for making this happen. A true Christmas spirit story...

We are all blessed that you have made this forum and community a possibility, and an reality.

Edited by Dave Reese

Hi fellow roadies,

What I am about to post is not truly road related - but I happen to think it to be a great idea. Being retired military I know what it is to be away from home over the holidays and little things, such as this, mean more than anyone can ever know.

This one came from a classmate of mine - I think it's a great idea. Might be the best 39 cents you ever spent.

When making out your Christmas card list this year,

consider adding:

A Recovering American Soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue, NW >> Washington, DC 20307-5001

And, don't hesitate to share this if you think it's

as good an idea as I do.

Blessed, peaceful Christmas!

It was on the NBC Nightly News tonight that you cannot do this. Here is the explanation and some alternatives.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp

It was on the NBC Nightly News tonight that you cannot do this. Here is the explanation and some alternatives.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp

During our research we found these other alternatives:

http://www.packagesfromhome.org/

Anysoldier.com

Treatanysoldier.com

On another note, guess what? Pat learned that Shelly Graham (a well-known Route 66 photographer and friend) has a sister stationed in Iraq. We're sending her a package as well. And, if we have enough funds - we will send care packages to her entire platoon. Jim is getting the information for me right now.

Happy Holidays!

Becky

Hi Gang,

Jim Ross supplied me with the number of other folks deployed with Shelly Graham's sister - there are six of them deployed to assist a chaplain. We're sending goodies to all of the soldiers and the chaplain. We'll get their care packages out this week.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Together we will have shipped to over 40 brave men and women currently serving our country.

:D Becky

• 3 weeks later...

This just in from one of the platoons:

"Ms. Repp, I would like to Thank You and all the people that supported us with gifts and packages I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Thank You."

Sincerely

Sergeant First Class

Richard Perez

I've attached the photo that he sent of his platoon, too.

Thanks everyone! Your support for this project made a difference to these soldiers serving their country.

PC240298.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This email (posted below) just came in from the second platoon to whom we sent packages. I confess, I got teary-eyed reading it. I am still overwhelmed by everyone's generosity - making it possible for us to send the packages.

Thank you!

Becky

Mrs Becky Repp,

I am 1SG Sua Peni M of Charlie Battery, SFC(P) Perez 1SG, I am humbled by you and your organization's generosity and support to our Soldiers. Our Soldiers enjoyed and appreciated every package and gift you sent us during X-mass and Holiday, it has helped our young Soldiers fill the void during these trying times.

It is citizens and organizations like your's that have definitley boosted our morale and make this deployment a little easier for our Soldiers.

If you could send us your mailing address, we seems to have forgot to save it with all the excitment opening our packages.

Again, thank you for all your prayers and support.

God Bless and God Bless America.

Sua Peni Mene

1SG, USA

Charlie Battery, Fires Squadron 2SCR

• 1 year later...

We are reviving Alex' idea from two years ago. We are working to send care packages to our military men and women. See the info below:

Help Us Send Care Packages to Our Service Men and Women

Many of you may recall that two years ago we sent gift packages filled with personal

care items, gifts, and copies of American Road magazine to three platoons serving

overseas in harms way. The donation made by American Road combined with donations

made by our readers and advertisers resulted in gifts for almost 50 people serving

in our armed forces. We still continue to receive letters of thanks indicating

that the gifts, letters, and cards sent did much to boost the moral of the recipients.

Regardless of where you stand politically on war, we encourage you to help us send

packages demonstrating our appreciation for the great sacrifices made by our military

men and women.

You may donate in one of three ways:

Call 1-877-285-5434 x1

Send a donation via PayPal to becky@americanroadmagazine.com (specify that the donation is for Military Holiday Care Packages).

Send check or money order to American Road; c/o Military Holiday Care Packages; PO Box 46519, Mount Clemens, MI 48046

Donations must be received by December 7 to allow time to purchase the care package

items, package, and ship them by December 11 for arrival by December 25.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and generosity.

We are reviving Alex' idea from two years ago. We are working to send care packages to our military men and women. See the info below:

Help Us Send Care Packages to Our Service Men and Women

Many of you may recall that two years ago we sent gift packages filled with personal

care items, gifts, and copies of American Road magazine to three platoons serving

overseas in harms way. The donation made by American Road combined with donations

made by our readers and advertisers resulted in gifts for almost 50 people serving

in our armed forces. We still continue to receive letters of thanks indicating

that the gifts, letters, and cards sent did much to boost the moral of the recipients.

Regardless of where you stand politically on war, we encourage you to help us send

packages demonstrating our appreciation for the great sacrifices made by our military

men and women.

You may donate in one of three ways:

Call 1-877-285-5434 x1

Send a donation via PayPal to becky@americanroadmagazine.com (specify that the donation is for Military Holiday Care Packages).

Send check or money order to American Road; c/o Military Holiday Care Packages; PO Box 46519, Mount Clemens, MI 48046

Donations must be received by December 7 to allow time to purchase the care package

items, package, and ship them by December 11 for arrival by December 25.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and generosity.

Becky,

Count me in!!

And thanks for presenting the opportunity again...and thanks to Alex again for getting the ball rolling initially!

Dave

Here's an update on the 2009 Holiday Military Care package project:

We are really excited as it looks like we will be able to send care packages to at least 30 soldiers. We are still hoping for enough donations to send to 50. I also received notification

that two grade school classes are working on cards and notes to include with the packages!

Thank you to the people that have already donated to this project. Their generosity is helping make this 2009 Holiday Military Care Package project a success.

I'll continue to keep everyone posted via the Forum and e-newsletter, etc.

Happy holidays,

Becky Repp

Greetings everyone.

I'm excited to say that we received enough monetary and product donations to send care packages to 40 of our men and women serving overseas.

We found a platoon with 20 men and 20 women (deployed from Washington state) serving in Afghanistan. We sent individual gift bags with holiday treats and personal hygiene items requested by the platoon. They asked for simple items such as lip balm. We included other treats (gum, candy canes, hot cocoa mix, etc.) and other hygiene items (sanitary/antibacterial wipes, travel pack of kleenex, and tooth brushes). The platoon also asked for reading material - so we sent two boxes filled with books and copies of American Road magazine to help take their mind off of the war when they do get a few minutes of down time). Packages were mailed yesterday and today. We have some items remaining from what we purchased and what was donated. We plan to give these to an area shelter or the local VA hospital. I will make some calls on Monday to find these items a home.

I'm thrilled to say that two area elementary school classes participated in this effort. The children drew pictures and wrote letters. We included one in each gift bag. The children did a wonderful job. I think the letters and drawings will mean a great deal to the soldiers.

Many thanks to everyone who donated money, products, and time to this effort.

We included a letter with each box. The text of the letter is included below.

---------------------------

Greetings.

Enclosed, you will find gift bags – small tokens from us to indicate that we appreciate what you are doing. We wish each of you a safe holiday season. We are sending a total of twelve priority mail boxes to your platoon. There are forty gift bags (one for each person). Two of the boxes are filled with magazines and books to share.

I'm also thrilled to say that you will also find a letter in each gift bag from a child. Two elementary school classes participated in writing letters to include with these packages.

Entities and individuals that participated in this effort include:

American Road advertisers

An anonymous donation from one of our active American Road magazine on-line forum members

Pat & Jennifer Bremer

Bruce Clark

Mary Ellen Filbey

Rick Filbey

Brenna Filbey

Kaelyn Filbey

Denny Gibson

Bryan McGinnis

Joe & Cheri Miller

Steven Rastigue, DDS

David Reese

Tom and Pat Repp

Mrs. Amy Quick's second & third grade class - Joseph M. Carkenord Elementary in Chesterfield, MI

Mrs. Zaiglin’s first grade class - Joseph M. Carkenord Elementary in Chesterfield, MI

Staff at American Road magazine

No reply is necessary, as we know that you are otherwise occupied.

All our best to you. We wish you all health, safety, and a speedy return home.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Repp

General Manager – American Road magazine

becky@americanroadmagazine.com

• 5 years later...

Just a quick update - we are upholding the tradition that the members of this forum started - sending our service men and women care packages during the holidays. I'm happy to report that we sent care packages to 50 members of the Navy this holiday.

We wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year!