American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

April 2007 Dixie Highway Cruise?

roadmaven

We'll be cruising down to Nashville to visit relatives the week before and hopefully do some bourbon sipping Thursday and Friday.

Nashville & bourbon, eh? Great combination. Maybe you can talk those relatives into buying breakfast at the Loveless Cafe.

Have you targeted specific distilleries yet?

Nashville & bourbon, eh? Great combination. Maybe you can talk those relatives into buying breakfast at the Loveless Cafe.

Have you targeted specific distilleries yet?

On the subject of staggering, we will probably definitely get to the Jim Beam and Maker's Mark distilleries.

I got the address of the Loveless from Roadfood.com. They seem to like the place. Today, they also featured a place at an an exit by I-65 in Columbia, Tn. called Stan's. Looks like we'll have to check that out as well.

Speaking of eating, the Chicago Tribune ran a travel article on Louisville this past Sunday (they must know we're heading down that way). I think we'll have to try a Hot Brown sandwich, maybe at the Brown Hotel. Does anyone know of other good places for one? Sounds about as good for you as a horseshoe.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

The weather's looking good for Saturday: Partly cloudy, High of 72. Of course partly cloudy also means partly sunny. If there are any of you out there still on the fence as whether to go, GO! Even if the Wigwam is booked up, there are several motels within a mile of it.

See you all Friday!

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor... Sleet? Well, sleet maybe. That might stop us. Maybe. But definitely not this wimpy rain. We're here (8 roadies, 5 states) and we're ready for the 31W-62-31E triangle. Not much happened on the road yesterday and the developing lab ate my carefully posed group shot but there is a bit of a start at Wigwams 2007 and more will follow.

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor... Sleet? Well, sleet maybe. That might stop us. Maybe. But definitely not this wimpy rain. We're here (8 roadies, 5 states) and we're ready for the 31W-62-31E triangle. Not much happened on the road yesterday and the developing lab ate my carefully posed group shot but there is a bit of a start at Wigwams 2007 and more will follow.

OK, the dog ate your homework, huh? We are sitting at the edge of our easy chairs looking for the next report.

Let’s Keep the Show on the Road!

I surprised myself by getting Saturday's journal up before heading out. I guess I'll also surprise myself by wherever I go today because I've yet to pick a path home.

Anyway, the weather turned out great yesterday and there's no doubt everyone enjoyed themselves. Check the link in the previous post for the journal.

I must be off.

I surprised myself by getting Saturday's journal up before heading out. I guess I'll also surprise myself by wherever I go today because I've yet to pick a path home.

Anyway, the weather turned out great yesterday and there's no doubt everyone enjoyed themselves. Check the link in the previous post for the journal.

I must be off.

I understand…fun comes before reporting. And I had already enjoyed your earlier journal entry, thanks.

I don’t know if it’s a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but your itinerary sounded really interesting. It prompted me to pull out some early descriptions of the area, when the road was “gravel or rough and stony” on the Dixie along your route.

The image of the blue grass of Kentucky and the sipping of a fine bourbon by the wigwam has an appeal for an old westerner who used to fortify himself against rattlesnake bites with a little Jim Beam! When you do report again, maybe include a bit of a description of the country side. In 1920 it was sparsely settled hilly farm country, according to the 1920 Auto Blue Book.

I’ll look forward to the rest of the story!.

Gotta Keep the Show on the Road

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

I made it home last night about 9:00 after a pass through Indiana to make this a true Okyana outing. Bob & Susan were planning on further exploring the Phantom Highway then returning to the Wigwams for one more night. They were gone before I came out of my own tepee. So were Kent & Mary Sue and the Bremers Corvair was soon gone, too. When I left, RoadDog was contemplating a stop by Dinosaur World followed by further meandering. The report of my third and final day out has been added to http://www.dennygibson.com/wigwam042007/index.htm

I'm ready to go again. Curse this paycheck addiction.

I understand…fun comes before reporting. And I had already enjoyed your earlier journal entry, thanks.

I don’t know if it’s a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but your itinerary sounded really interesting. It prompted me to pull out some early descriptions of the area, when the road was “gravel or rough and stony” on the Dixie along your route.

The image of the blue grass of Kentucky and the sipping of a fine bourbon by the wigwam has an appeal for an old westerner who used to fortify himself against rattlesnake bites with a little Jim Beam! When you do report again, maybe include a bit of a description of the country side. In 1920 it was sparsely settled hilly farm country, according to the 1920 Auto Blue Book.

I’ll look forward to the rest of the story!.

Gotta Keep the Show on the Road

I'm guessing that the "grass is always greener..." line is equivalent to a local saying that "the grass is always bluer on the other side of the river" :D

Does that Blue Book go into any detail about the DH route between Horse Cave and Rowletts? The road scholars in our group (primarily Pat & Bob) theorized that the Dixie may have originally arched west rather than east between these two towns. Anything in there to support or dispute that?

While little of the area would be considered "sparsely settled" by 1920 standards it is still largely farm country. And some of those farms are, of course, horse farms. Neither Elizabethtown (20,000) or Bardstown (10,000) are large cities and both feel comfortably small when you're strolling around their town squares. The standard description is: "the land of good whiskey, fast horses, and beautiful women".

Did you know that your Jim Beam came from a spot just about a dozen miles from Bardstown?

I made it home last night about 9:00 after a pass through Indiana to make this a true Okyana outing. Bob & Susan were planning on further exploring the Phantom Highway then returning to the Wigwams for one more night. They were gone before I came out of my own tepee. So were Kent & Mary Sue and the Bremers Corvair was soon gone, too. When I left, RoadDog was contemplating a stop by Dinosaur World followed by further meandering. The report of my third and final day out has been added to http://www.dennygibson.com/wigwam042007/index.htm

The Dixie Highway event inspired me to plan an inspection spin along the Yellowstone in eastern Washington. I thought I might do it this week but we are “enjoying” a forecast of clouds and sprinkles, so I’ll wait for at some promised sun breaks. B)

No problem, I can go any time because I don’t suffer DennyG’s paycheck addiction any longer. I tried it for 35 years and didn’t like it! Actually, I had a wonderful career, but retirement is even better. :D

I know the Yellowstone fairly well from both reading and traveling, but there are always new “discoveries.” For example, the last time I was in the village of Rosalia, south of Spokane on the older southern loop, I “discovered” a beautiful restoration of an old Texaco station. And I may have spotted an original painted YT arrow (I would attach photos but apparently I’ve exceeded my 500K allocation of “global” attachment space. Either that or I’ve been banned without knowing it! :( The moderators are looking into it.).

I am pondering the possibility of suggesting a group trip on the Yellowstone in Eastern Washington like the one you folks did on the Dixie. Do you have any helpful hints? What works, what doesn’t? I would probably shoot for a long weekend in late September or early October.

I have some ideas in mind, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself until I check out some places.

Anyway, would anyone on the Dixie trip (or similar) like to offer some advice? I’ll also start putting out some feelers on the Yellowstone Trail section. Maybe John or Alice will have some ideas.

I want to Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

I am pondering the possibility of suggesting a group trip on the Yellowstone in Eastern Washington...

...would anyone on the Dixie trip (or similar) like to offer some advice?

I think a group Yellowstone cruise sounds like a great idea and I'd be happy to recount the "planning" of the DH/JH cruise. Since this is clearly moving beyond the Dixie Highway and doesn't quite yet fit the Yellowstone Trail forum, I've started a "Group Cruise Planning" thread over in Trip Planning. Besides, I moderate the Trip Planning forum and this is the first chance I've had to pad my stats. :D The thread is here

I just posted a few photos of this year's Dixie Highway Cruise that you can acess from this site....Bliss

WHAT A BUNCH OF AMERICAN ROAD FOLKS DO ON A CRUISE

I arrived at the Wigwam Village on Friday and went into the office/gift shop to get my room, er, teepee. I was a bit taken aback when the clerk said it would be one hundred eighty for the two nights. Hey, that's a bit too classy for me. I said, "What?" and we eventually determined that she meant $100.80. That was better.

Kent and Mary Sue Sandersen were there already and had occupied the local pavillion in the name and honor of the American Road. They had a fire going in the bbq and the table laid out with the fixins for a mini feast. It was at this time I found out that the county was dry and I had not a drop with me. I had to see for myself, and a drive around convinced me it was true. I did get some snacks and some, sorry Baby Boomer Bob, some double banana Moon Pies!! He is of the opinion that to eat anything other than the chocolate Moon Pie ranks on the verge of sacrilege. At this time, I was hoping that someone would be there a little more prepared than I.

When I returned, Denny Gibson, Bob and Susan Reynolds, and some folks in a wonderful old Corvair were there. Of course, they would be Jennifer and Pat Bremer.

I was glad to see that the Wigwam Village had a full house on both nights. People must really want to spend a night in those teepees. Last fall, on our end-to-end Route 66 trip, my wife and I had arrived too early to stop at the other two. I was looking forward to this.

Good ol' Denny had brought along his personal preference in the bourbon category and I was able to avail myself of some of its contents. We feasted on an ample supply of Ballpark franks and burgers with some great chow-chow sauce. Denny had also brought along some of that great American elixir called Moxie from Cincinnati. He had the original, cream soda, orange cream, and blue cream. I'd heard of this before, but never had any. Denny warned that some of us might not care for it, but it tasted mighty good to me. He also had some Christian Moerlein minibrew beers with him. Good stuff as well.

Day 2, the cruise, will be coming up.

Keep on Down that two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

WHAT A BUNCH OF AMERICAN ROAD FOLKS DO ON A CRUISE

I arrived at the Wigwam Village on Friday and went into the office/gift shop to get my room, er, teepee. I was a bit taken aback when the clerk said it would be one hundred eighty for the two nights. Hey, that's a bit too classy for me. I said, "What?" and we eventually determined that she meant $100.80. That was better.

Kent and Mary Sue Sandersen were there already and had occupied the local pavillion in the name and honor of the American Road. They had a fire going in the bbq and the table laid out with the fixins for a mini feast. It was at this time I found out that the county was dry and I had not a drop with me. I had to see for myself, and a drive around convinced me it was true. I did get some snacks and some, sorry Baby Boomer Bob, some double banana Moon Pies!! He is of the opinion that to eat anything other than the chocolate Moon Pie ranks on the verge of sacrilege. At this time, I was hoping that someone would be there a little more prepared than I.

When I returned, Denny Gibson, Bob and Susan Reynolds, and some folks in a wonderful old Corvair were there. Of course, they would be Jennifer and Pat Bremer.

I was glad to see that the Wigwam Village had a full house on both nights. People must really want to spend a night in those teepees. Last fall, on our end-to-end Route 66 trip, my wife and I had arrived too early to stop at the other two. I was looking forward to this.

Good ol' Denny had brought along his personal preference in the bourbon category and I was able to avail myself of some of its contents. We feasted on an ample supply of Ballpark franks and burgers with some great chow-chow sauce. Denny had also brought along some of that great American elixir called Moxie from Cincinnati. He had the original, cream soda, orange cream, and blue cream. I'd heard of this before, but never had any. Denny warned that some of us might not care for it, but it tasted mighty good to me. He also had some Christian Moerlein minibrew beers with him. Good stuff as well.

Day 2, the cruise, will be coming up.

Keep on Down that two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Great stuff!!! Keep it coming!!

This is what it takes to Keep the Show on the Road!!

• 1 month later...
I just realized we have some pics from the Dixie weekend that I didn't inform anyone of. So, here goes ya!Has it been 2 months already??

Roadmavern,

Thanks for the additional photos! Nice work! My connection is slow this evening so I will come back to finish viewing them later.

Keep the Show on the Road!