American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Thanksgiving Weekend Trip - Nc & Tn

DennyG

A Thanksgiving weekend trip through bits of North Carolina and Tennessee has just been completed. It includes the Cherohala Skyway (Now, that's cool!), the "Road to Nowhere", a Great Smoky Mountains Railroad outing, and some exploring with forum member Baby Boomer Bob. All four days are now posted at

http://www.dennygibson.com/tg2006

A Thanksgiving weekend trip through bits of North Carolina and Tennessee has just been completed. It includes the Cherohala Skyway (Now, that's cool!), the "Road to Nowhere", a Great Smoky Mountains Railroad outing, and some exploring with forum member Baby Boomer Bob. All four days are now posted at

Thanks for an enjoyable trip, Denny. Mary Sue sez trips like yours are what she would really enjoy. Guess we just need to fire up the Monte and go somewhere - - after a December family wedding and Christmas are memories....Bliss

Thanks for the trip, Denny - you getting down into "my" country there. KC wants to move to that area - and from the pictures I can agree with her. I'll be rumbling thru that area in about a month on my way to Memphis.

Everybody have a great holiday season - and Merry Christmas to all.

Hudsonly,

Alex B

Nice trip! That I-75 photo looked very familiar to what I witnessed on my super slab trip last month. Ironically, I almost jumped off at the Jellico exit, so I'm glad to see what I missed had I done that, as well as the US 25 scenes. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Perhaps we should get a little American Road motor tour together someday, eh? :D

Perhaps we should get a little American Road motor tour together someday, eh? :D

Varooming idea, Pat! Wouldn't want it to conflict with the annual MO 66 motor tour in September, though. I suggest you and Denny be 2007 cochair tour gettertogetherers. Would we have a great time cruisin' and hangin' out or what?....Bliss :D

I know Pat has proposed one or two but there were scheduling problems. Maybe if we started now to think about something in the spring we could have better luck. One possibility for Indy/Cincy/St Louie/Etcetery is Wigwam Village #2 with a bit of Dixie Highway. Maybe something in April or May?

I know Pat has proposed one or two but there were scheduling problems. Maybe if we started now to think about something in the spring we could have better luck. One possibility for Indy/Cincy/St Louie/Etcetery is Wigwam Village #2 with a bit of Dixie Highway. Maybe something in April or May?

I like the idea of the WV2. Question: Would it be just a place where anyone interested would converge on, or would we gather in "City X", and depart from there and head to WV2? My guess is that Louisville would be the logical gathering point for those of us currently in this thread, then head down 31W from there. Of course if BB Bob enters in the discussion, that will throw everything off! :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will surprise no one to read that my idea wasn't completely baked when I posted it. The Louisville meet & drive would certainly work or we could use WV2 as home base for a one day loop and there's plenty of other options, too.

Pat, if we want to pursue this, maybe you could put together some sort of announcement/invitation to break it out of this thread. Bliss may have been half joking when he suggested it but it seems Pat & I are taking it somewhat seriously. If anyone else reading this is the slightest bit interested in a spring time road trip some where in the weekend range of Indianapolis & Cincinnati, speak up and let's see if we can get something sorted out over the winter.

I'm sure it will surprise no one to read that my idea wasn't completely baked when I posted it. The Louisville meet & drive would certainly work or we could use WV2 as home base for a one day loop and there's plenty of other options, too.

Pat, if we want to pursue this, maybe you could put together some sort of announcement/invitation to break it out of this thread. Bliss may have been half joking when he suggested it but it seems Pat & I are taking it somewhat seriously. If anyone else reading this is the slightest bit interested in a spring time road trip some where in the weekend range of Indianapolis & Cincinnati, speak up and let's see if we can get something sorted out over the winter.

I was quite serious about this road trip and really hope you guys come up with something for next spring. Whatever it is, count us in. We would, of course, prefer to spend an entire weekend doing this rather than a one-day loop but will look forward to whatever is planned. Please keep us posted. Thanks....Bliss :D

• 4 weeks later...

I went through that area around Thanksgiving, but on the superslab. That was something seeing that huge Confederate Battle Flag flying on the hill above 40 between Knoxville and Nashville.

I did try to follow US-70 from NC through the mountains once, but got lost. There are no directions through there.

Keep on Down that two Lane Highway. --RoadDog