American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Collecting

eyerobic

"THE road map today is mostly virtual — an electronic image on a screen, at home or in the car, provided by Mapquest or a built-in satellite navigation system. Setting out on a long journey, I half expect to see the marker pins of a Google map rearing above the highway like giant hat pins, shadowing the pavement ahead."

By PHIL PATTON

Published: November 12, 2006 The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/12/automobi...les/12MAPS.html

(don't miss the brief slide show)

• 3 weeks later...
"THE road map today is mostly virtual — an electronic image on a screen, at home or in the car, provided by Mapquest or a built-in satellite navigation system. Setting out on a long journey, I half expect to see the marker pins of a Google map rearing above the highway like giant hat pins, shadowing the pavement ahead."

By PHIL PATTON

Published: November 12, 2006 The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/12/automobi...les/12MAPS.html

(don't miss the brief slide show)

Great article - I have a small collection of road maps from the 1930's, '40's and '50's. I also have about a dozen AAA and ALA tour guide books - the ALA books are from 1921, 1927-1928 (New England States and Truck Lines West and South), and 1932 and 1933 (All States East of the Mississippi), I also have a 1923 Automobile Blue Book, Vol 2 Southeastern States, 1930 Motor Trips Eastern US, and the following AAA guide books - 1937 Northeastern Tour Book, 1938 Northeastern Tour Book, 1938 Southeastern Tour Book, and 1941 Vol 1 Northeast and Vol II Western.

I also have a 1918 New England Tours folder put out by the New England Hotel Association, an Official Touring Guide of Ohio-Indiana-Michigan, put out by the Toledo AAA Club and a 1918 New England North booklet put out by Goodrich (Goodrich Tour Book).

The hardest ones to find seem to be the Southeast tour books - it took me about 8 or 9 years to find the 1938 Southeastern Tour Book (I like the 1937-1938 books as I was born in 1937). Sad to say many of these books are not in pristine condition - which does make it easy to thumb thru them without worry.

Happy Traveling!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr