American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

LH\US 30S between Lyman and Granger Wyoming

Last May, between a day of ceremonies at Promentory, Utah, celebrating the Transcontinental Railroads 150th anniversary and a historic steam engine double-header featuring Union Pacific's Big Boy 4014 and 844 passing through Echo Canyon in Utah I found myself with a day free to do some road explorations in Western Wyoming. Before leaving for the trip I contacted "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" author Brian Butko for recommendations on what was interesting and worth seeing in the area. One of the many excellent recommendations he made was a section of the Lincoln in Wyoming between Lyman and Granger. Always a sucker for a remote stretch of historic roadway I did my research and put it on my trip itinerary.

map.jpg

I left the Interstate prior to Fort Bridger and drove Business 80 through town and on into Lyman. On the east side of Lyman I found the section of dirt road marked by the familiar red, white, and blue sign with the blue "L" on it. From here on it was all dirt road but relatively well maintained and still used regularly.

Roadbed leading away from Business 80 east of Lyman

SC121522-5D10392.jpg

After passing through a causeway under the interstate I crossed the first of two pony trusses that pass over Blacks Fork River. The wide open land in this area looked to be used primarily by ranchers and at one point had to make my way through a herd of sheep. I didn’t find a date on the bridges but my suspicion is that they date to sometime during the period when the roadbed was US 30S.

Pony Truss bridge across the Blacks Fork River
 5D10398.jpg

Looking back south and west at the road that was just driven.

SC121527-5D10410.jpg

The second pony truss sits about 4.5 miles further down the road from the first.

Pony Truss #2 looking back over the road just driven

SC121524-5D10406.jpg

The next noticeable landmark is the eroded sandstone cliffs of the Church Buttes. It is alleged that the formation was given its name by Mormon pioneers for their steeple-like needles, however, the formation was a significant landmark along the Oregon and California trails as well as the Lincoln and US 30S later on. One report I read stated that there was a service station located across the road from the buttes, which is fitting as the area is now dominated by oil production. 

Church Buttes
SC121528-5D10416.jpg

Continuing east, the signs of oil production dominate the landscape as you go past an ugly and loud compressor station. At about the 10 mile mark east of the Church Buttes you reach  Granger junction, or as it is listed on my 1941 road map, Little America. The junction sat at the intersection of the Oregon Trail and Overland Stage Trail and later was the split between US 30N and US 30S. The town of Granger itself sits a couple of miles to the northwest. Today Little America is a travel center located near the junction of I-80 and the current US 30.

The junction at Granger as it is today. The road to the left was the route of the Lincoln and US 30S towards Ogden and the road on the right was US 30N and followed the Oregon Trail to Portland.    

5D10420-2.jpg

And the junction as it was in 1927 (Scanned from Brian Butko’s “Greetings from the Lincoln Highway”)

7D002.jpg

A mile and a quarter further east the road intersects with US 30 which can be followed back to the Interstate, past the present day location of the Little America, Green River, and points east.

Roadhound

http://rick-pisio.pixels.com

http://www.rwphotos.com

• Like 1

Great photos! The last time I was in that area (August 2005), we had a limited amount of time but at least went to the first pony truss bridge at the west end. My guess on the bridges is late 1910's to mid 1920's. The pipe railing, instead of lattice railing, seems to point to that era. At least, that is what I'd go by in California. Each state is a bit different.

P8130291.JPG

• Like 1

There are many. They are rare on State highways. Used to be two from the mid-1920's on State 150 near Rincon, but replaced about 15 or more years ago. Los Angeles County has plenty of wooden pony truss bridges on the county roads (East Fork Road, Little Tujunga Canyon Road, and a few others). There is a 1922, widened 1928? pony truss span over the Rio Hondo on State 72 (former US 101) near Pico Rivera. Not as many in northern California. Mostly concrete and steel up there.