American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 99 News?

Does anyone have any updates on US 99 through California, Oregon, or Washington?

Plenty is going on here in California. A section of the highway near Fresno is being realigned to accommodate the new high speed rail. A portion of old alignment is also being removed as well, bypassed about 1960. In Southern California, there has been much work on the section of US 99 in the San Fernando Valley. A pipeline replacement project has partially torn up San Fernando Road in the north end of Glendale, a section which also had old curbing. Burbank is also doing a lot of resurfacing along their stretch, with Caltrans replacing the former North Burbank Underpass with a re-realigned (going back to the original alignment actually) San Fernando Blvd.

What's new in other areas along US 99?

Mike,

I live close to the old Pacific Highway, or as you know it, US99. This will deal with just the section between Olympia and Tenino, Washington, near my home.

The old road house and bordello of the 1930’s at the Waldrick Road intersection is looking good, but long closed of course. The red light on the porch has been removed lately. Someone who knew the history of the place was enjoying a joke, I assume.

Someone has logged off the trees along the old narrow gauge rail bed that connected Olympia with the main line in Tenino south of the Waldrick Road intersection, so it is now more visible. The “real” action is taking place on Chain Hill.

As you know, the Pacific Highway here generally followed the old Cowlitz Trail, blazed by the Hudson Bay Company. Going north from Tenino, where old man Meeker placed one of his sandstone Oregon Trail Markers, the old trail, and the Pacific Highway climbed over Chain Hill.

The old road bed is still pretty evident if you know where to look. Just over the crest, the old road split in two and then reconnected, perhaps to control the grade, or because of winter vs summer road conditions. You can almost imagine driving a Model T probably chained up, and perhaps even backing up to keep fuel flowing to the carburetor, climbing the Chain Hill grade.

When you drive that section today, there is a modern cut and fill that would not have been typical in the teens. That cut is slipping so the road is down to one lane.

In Tenino itself, the fellow who peddled hot dogs and bar b que beside the road for many years is gone. But Scotty B’s is going strong, with good burgers, a 1950’s auto ambiance, and the old timers at the counter swapping stories,

I cross the totem pole bridge almost daily into Olympia. For many years this was the south entrance to the city, and beside it sat the Olympic Brewery….its the water! Sadly the famous old Brewery is still up for sale. Here is a post I did ten years ago.

Us 99 Totem Pole Bridge & The Old Brewery - Pacific Highway / U.S

We don’t have all the road construction you describe. That kind of stuff is happening in Seattle, including a tunnel….thank goodness!! :) I'm looking out my window to our lake, ducks flying by, swallows looking for a place to build their nests, and a bald eagle perched in a tree across the lake. A world away from my days in SoCal and the exciting scenes you describe!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Mike,

Thanks for the info!!

The newspaper uses aggressive push advertising so it was a little hard to stay with the story on my laptop, but it is worth the effort.

That section of old 99 is enormously evocative of the 1950s when I used to ride or drive it on occasion….two lanes through rural countryside, across small bridges, and under the overarching branches of roadside trees.

Thanks

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

• 4 months later...

Hello

In Clark County, Washington a new bridge over Whipple Creek is being built that will reconnect a portion of the old 1915 highway that is today's NE 10th Ave. just north of Vancouver, WA. The old bridge was removed in 1922 when the road was rerouted and this section was abandoned for almost 100 years. When most places are tearing up history here we have progress reconnecting a historic route.

I added maps and photos on my website.

http://www.pacific-hwy.net/whipple.htm

As it gets warmer I plan to retrace the route again and report updates. I am now retired and can pursue my hobby.

• 1 month later...

Very cool article! I am glad to see when all the research we have done gets recognized.

• 4 months later...

There is a new fire in Shasta County along US 99. It looks to have started near the Harlan D Miller Dog Creek Bridge in Delta. I am not sure how much of any remaining US 99 artifacts were damaged or will be damaged. I-5 has been shut down during this fire as well. If anyone in the area is able to do an inspection afterward and post photos, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Fires are "in season" again. US 99 in Southern California has been getting hit as well. So far, one has more directly impacted the road near Gorman along Gorman Post Road. The current one, known as the Lake Fire, could go west directly toward the Ridge Route if the winds shift. Onshore winds have blown it more toward the desert, almost to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. I had hoped to head up to the Ridge Route on August 22, but that will likely be delayed. Hopefully it doesn't burn to the road as there are some flammable items up there that date to the era when the Ridge Route was the main highway.