American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Us 60 - Jackrabbit Trail

A while back I put together a post on my website on the Jackrabbit Trail alignment of US 60 through the Badlands west of Beaumont, California. I thought this would be a good place to put a link for other interested parties.

http://socalregion.com/jackrabbit-trail-november-14-2013/

The post covers a bit of the history, routing, and has photos of the roadway. I took a small portion of this again a couple weeks ago and it hasn't changed much, despite the heavy rains we have been having. It is still marked as "Road Closed" and isn't signed from Gilman Springs Road anymore, but it is indeed a through road.

• Like 1

I have a ton of old auto road maps of my native state, some as far back as 1906 , which is pretty early for California auto maps, if not wheelmen maps. For some reason now lost in the haze of my aging brain, I studied the Jackrabbit Trail, which I doubt was so named in my maps. But I recall the name from my web research….it might have even come from your site.

No matter, but if it serves any purpose I could probably dig out at least some strip maps (Automobile Club of Southern California)(ACSC) and might even get lucky with an early Grey. And I know I have a 1911 ACSC California tour book with many strip maps. Ask and I will see what I can do (and post the results.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

• Like 1

I would be curious to see what those old maps show for that area. Prior to the "Jackrabbit Trail" alignment, traffic most likely went via San Timoteo Canyon, Lamb Canyon (following current State 79), or via Massacre? Canyon to the east of current State 79.

Mike,

The Jack Rabbit Trail was the old Moreno Grade. I have attached a 1936 Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC) Riverside County map showing the old grade and what was modern US60 before it was completed through the Moreno Valley.

I also have the #4 ACSC strip map showing it in a bit more detail if you like. It is in the binder I use for xerox copies of my maps, but the original is not in the right place in the originals file, which prevents me from looking for a date on the reverse. Probably 1924-27.

Depending on your (or anyone’s) interest level, I can probably do a bit more digging to locate my original strip map, and I can check my 1915 and later California Automobile Blue books for more detailed road descriptions.

The 1911 ACSC Tour Book shows Moreno and Eden Hot Springs, but not the Moreno Grade. The 1900 and 1905 USGS Topos (on line) show the road as one of three that cross that range, none more important than others, and all of course, wagon roads.

(Click on the image for a larger view)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

JackrabbitBW.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple ACSC strip maps from my collection showing the road. The lower one is 1924, and the upper one is not dated. As the ACSC often did, they erased the copyright date on the upper map to reissue it. Since they also erased the address it suggests it may have been shortly after their move to their current address, which then suggests an issue date earlier than the lower map (speculation!).

In any event in the mid 1920’s (and perhaps earlier) the Moreno Grade (Jack Rabbit Trail) was the main route, based on the sizes of the lines representing the alternates.

Since the road existed on USGS topos in 1900 and 1905, but is not shown on 1911 ACSC strip road maps and the 1914 Firemans Fund strip maps, it may be that it was little used by autos in the teens (speculation!)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Moreno.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The alignment in Beaumont is curious. It looks like it follows Railroad St from the present 10/60 junction to near current State 79. It also shows what would become US 70/99 on the west side of the tracks to San Timoteo Canyon. I'll have to take a trip up that way and do more research. Glad I got my KLR... hehe.