American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Bridge Replacement Project In The Mojave Desert, Ca

It would appear that San Bernardino County is planning to replace a few of the bridges in the Mojave Desert crossing. Three bridges in particular were heavily damaged in storms a few years ago (2014 I think) and the roadway remains closed in places today. Check out this site for information about this plan.

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/dpw/PublicNotices.aspx#29397

Mike has a very interesting and well done web site at socalregion.com. His interests focus on Southern California, and range from rocks to roads and lots in between, including bicycle touring. I highly recommend a visit to his site.

Returning to the topic in this post, Mike, can you give us a bit about the importance of the bridges to which you are drawing our attention? The full web citation is a bit much to appreciate in one gulp! :) I did note that they propose to replace 32 !!! bridges along old Route 66. That should tweek a few noses here about! :)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

None of the bridges in question are of any particular significance but are still a part of the history of the roadway. Most of the bridges were built between 1931 and 1933, replacing earlier level creek crossings. These bridges were subsequently modified and upgraded between 1951 and 1953 to their current condition. While it is sad to see them go, I understand the reasoning behind it. Timber bridges have a limited life span, even in the desert. There are also erosion issues which need to be addressed. Had this roadway continued to be a State Highway past 1972, these bridges would have most likely been upgraded/modified/replaced in the 1980's. With the new bridge rail designs Caltrans has been doing on current State highways, I can only hope that San Bernardino County does the same.

Thank you for the compliment on my site, btw. I've been working on an addition to the site, covering US 466. It is still a work in progress, but the initial framework is at least online.

Mike has a very interesting and well done web site at socalregion.com. His interests focus on Southern California, and range from rocks to roads and lots in between, including bicycle touring. I highly recommend a visit to his site.

I second this! I wish I would've known about & seen it prior to my 2009 Route 66 road trip ... would've given me a few more ideas for places to explore! If I'm able to include California during my travels this year, I will be referencing it quite a bit.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Take a ride, look around" | Jason Aldean | 'Tattoos On This Town'