American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gathering? + Vintage Stroller & 2 Impalas!

In late July 2008, I hosted what I called the MidSummer Chitown Gathering: 65 people drove to Elgin IL from as far away as Iowa & the Cleveland OH area! I have been thinking of putting something similar together for this year. Anyone interested?
Who enjoys scavenger hunts!? Cool to find something like this vintage stroller I spotted with a pair of vintage Impalas at a cruise night:
Cort ;) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic
"Baseball season is underway" __ Steve Goodman __ 'Go Cubs Go'

Cort,

I think maybe I have a photo of “yours truly” in a stroller much like that one, which places it during WWII. Maybe I could call yours “like my first vehicle!' :)

If you gathered 65 people to anything other than a riot, without a promotional budget, or an organizational sponsor, congratulations! Job well done.

You don't say what the MidSummer Chitown Gathering was about....but I assume cars. If you can get 10 car buffs together mid summer in 2016 without strong media support, good going. The competition is rough.....but I am as inexperienced in “gatherings” as I can be.

To just play with ideas for a minute.....with the ability to crowd share live video, could you turn the idea on its head and bring the “show” to the audience? A virtual gathering. It might even be interactive.....with call or text ins.

I haven't given much personal attention to the how to's because I figured no one would tune into my “Travels with Dave” channel, because I don't have any tornadoes to share. But maybe a guy who loves cars and visits car shows might get a following if he shared one every Saturday at a set time. I look at tornado chasers, maybe some folks would look at a live car show.......just musing.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hey Dave!

LOL! I'd LOVE to see that photo..... ;)

Thank you. It was an AWESOME day ... everyone there told me so. While several people took pics of that 1st event, 07/26/2008, this perhaps is the best grouping, which should give you an idea of what it was about:

http://pics.projectmonte.com/album/12498

I wish that participation could'v been sustained; contrast that to the smaller gathering we had 2 years later, 07/24/2010:
It's funny you mentioned the live video aspect. I recently discovered the "Live Video" option on Facebook for my OC,SH page; yet, when I attempted to do it, I got an "unavailable" message. So, I recorded a pair of videos instead. So ... that IS a possibility for a gathering, but ... not sure how that would work, exactly.
Anyway, IF I schedule an event, I might do 2 different meals (Saturday evening & Sunday afternoon) to accommodate those who can do either day & those who would want to make a weekend of it. Just thought it might be cool to attempt another gathering, given all I have endured the last 4+ years.
Cort ;) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic
"We all do the best we can" __ Blaine Larson __ 'How Do You Get That Lonely?'
Edited by knightfan26917