American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Favorite Rt 66 Pic & Vintage Hotel-Motels

During my September 2009 Route 66 road trip, I took ~900 photographs, but this, from Day 7, 09/11/2009, is 1 of my favorites:
The only road trip I took during which I stayed in many hotel-motels was my Route 66 journey; the rest of my road trips 2002-2011 were done staying with family & friends. Thus, I did not spend much time in these vintage places during my travels: Holiday Inn, Howard Johnsons, Sheraton & Travelodge
BTW, the featured vintage ads last week:
Train Tuesday (auto-train, GM, Hiawatha & Southern Pacific)
Flying Thursday (Delta, Mexicana, Northwest, Pan American)
Boating Saturday (Chris-Craft, Evinrude, Johnson, Ranger)
Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Come pick me up" __ Ben Folds __ 'Landed'

Cort,

I'm with you! Abandoned buildings tell many stories, and most of the time, they are ours to hear. I mean by that, we get to imagine some of the events and people who grew up in them, played in the yard, went off to school, maybe worked the fields or mowed the lawn, married, moved away, and came back to visit grandma and grandpa with the grand kids. They tell the stories of lives spent and past.

But to enjoy those stories you must learn and understand local history, and the tales of ordinary people. You need to know about life's triumphs and sorrows. We are at once actors on the stage of life and members of the audience watching it unfold. It doesn't always unfold as we expected, planned, or wished, but the play's the thing.

Thanks for the Route 66 memory! Cheers!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave,

You are welcome!

And, I agree whole-heartily ... have to be able to learn & understand the history. If I had had ample time, I could've spent DAYS listening to the various Route 66 people along the way. That would be extreme fun, I think. Once they're gone, so are their stories (well, for the most part, anyway).

Prior to that trip, it was only cars that really made me wonder when I saw them abandoned or in junk yards. But, the more I drove down Route 66, the more I saw abandoned buildings, & the more THEY made me wonder, too! Talk about a goldmine of exploration.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Can money pay for all the days I lived awake but half asleep?" __ Primitive Radio Gods __ 'Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand'