American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Love Isn’T Just For Subaru, A Dying Breed & Trains

knightfan26917

Subaru seems to have the “love” market cornered these days, but that wasn’t always the case, as evident in these 4 “love-related” vintage ads….
(The 4 old ads featured Tuesday had friends, help & service in mind; to see ‘em, visit the home page & choose “Automotive Daily” from the drop down menu on the right-hand side!)
Speaking of love, I’m not alone in enjoying evenings by fires … or am I part of a dying breed!?
Finally, I’ve never taken a train cross country, but maybe someday. Anyone else love old train cars, like this one, as well?
Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I miss the still of the silence" __ Matt Nathanson __ 'Come On Get Higher'

Took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks, with a two-night stopover in Denali National Park, in the summer of 2010, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Still more of a car/plane guy than a train guy, but an overnight train trip is something I would like to experience when I have the time (come on, retirement!). I think cross-country might be a big too long, but I'd love to do the Canadian rail trip between Vancouver and Calgary, or v.v., across the Rockies.

Edited by mga707

That Alaska Railroad sounds great.... I'm definitely a car guy ... not all that fond of flying. The rails ... have a certain appeal ... partly b/c you can still see things as you are going along. Sometimes I wish I could just retire & start enjoying some of the things I'd love to be enjoying right now....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"That's the price that we all pay" __ New Order __ 'True Faith'

• 2 weeks later...

No, you're not alone! I love sitting by the fire in the evening, either indoors or out. I haven't camped in 20 years and I miss a good campfire. But I had a very nice beach fire on Cape Cod a few years back with family. Throughout the winter, I put a nice fire in the fireplace and sit to read or watch TV. My wife roasts marshmallows and I roast hotdogs!