American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Historic Us 80 Signs Going Up!

Great news. The County of San Diego was so enthusiastic about the new historic route status of US 80 that they decided to make and install 28 historic route signs along the route.

You can see a photo of one sent to me on my news page:

http://www.americanroads.us/news.html

(click for a larger view)

The signs we designed have a sponsor section at the bottom, but since the county paid for the signs, they are the more standard brown signs. I hope all the cities on the route are this cool.

For those using Internet Explorer for Windows, I've added some more hacks to my web site that correct for bugs in IE (silly Microsoft, that makes 5 or 6 now). Everything should scroll properly now.

Here's my US 80 California page:

http://www.americanroads.us/ushighways/ushighway80CA.html

Note the provisional drive maps. I'm working on the last one now. :)

Steve

Incredible. The signs are up. I hope they are well anchored -- instant collectibles.

Along these lines, Louisiana Office of Tourism, with a consortium of towns and parishes on US 90 SH 182, recently revived the OST byway between New Orleans and Lafayette.

The new tag line is "Cajun Country -- Backroads & Bayous: Exploring the Heart of Louisiana's Old Spanish Trail."

Unfortunately, there is no web site describing the byway or containing the brochure the consortium put together for the road. Too bad, as this is one of the most culturally and scenically rich drives on the OST.

If anyone is interested, I made digitals and PDFs of the logos and the brochure, which could be pasted on your web sites.

JWM

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in touring or reading more about old U.S. 80 in California, I've done almost the entire length for my column in the San Diego Union-Tribune. Check out the page at: http://www.weekenddriver.com/roadtrip/find...ndus80home.html where I have a drive through the section from the Desert View Tower to Sunrise Highway. I also have links to the to the other stories I've done for the newspaper and information on my book, which includes drive on old U.S. 80.

I've included a photo of the old concrete road near Jacumba.

See you on the road!

Jack

post-1092-1161966650_thumb.jpg

For those interested in touring or reading more about old U.S. 80 in California, I've done almost the entire length for my column in the San Diego Union-Tribune. Check out the page at: http://www.weekenddriver.com/roadtrip/find...ndus80home.html where I have a drive through the section from the Desert View Tower to Sunrise Highway. I also have links to the to the other stories I've done for the newspaper and information on my book, which includes drive on old U.S. 80.

I've included a photo of the old concrete road near Jacumba.

See you on the road!

Jack

Jack-

Great to see all this attention -- and good writing -- directed to old U.S. 80. One point of clarification: the Broadway of America did not follow U.S. 80 all the way to Savannah. The BOA traced U.S. 80 to Dallas, after which it headed off in a northeast direction, using 10 separate U.S. highways to end up on Broadway in NYC. Keep up the good work!

JWM