American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

North Burbank UP In Burbank, Ca To Close On May 20!

Caltrans is replacing the San Fernando Blvd bridges near I-5 in Burbank. The result will be a new interchange at Empire Ave and the removal of the old North Burbank UP and structures. The North Burbank UP, a series of structures built in 1941-42 is being closed permanently on May 20, 2014. San Fernando Blvd will be closed for a long period of time as well. While I knew about this for some time, I didn't know when it would be. I rode my motorcycle up there on Tuesday and shot video of the entire area. I posted those videos on my website at - http://socalregion.com/north-burbank-oh-videos/

Very interesting videos--thanks for sharing them here.

I'm curious--is the main reason for the closures of the old underpasses and the rerouting because of traffic congestion or due to the probability that the old structures do not meet today's earthquake-resistance codes?

• 1 month later...

Very interesting videos--thanks for sharing them here.

I'm curious--is the main reason for the closures of the old underpasses and the rerouting because of traffic congestion or due to the probability that the old structures do not meet today's earthquake-resistance codes?

The structures are being removed as a new interchange is being built with Empire Ave and I-5 to south. San Fernando Road/Blvd is going to go back to its pre-1941 route and the North Burbank UP will no longer be needed.

• Michael Ballard changed the title to North Burbank UP In Burbank, Ca To Close On May 20!