American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Our Recent Road Trip, But Not In The Usa

Dave Reese

Peg and I recently returned from a three week trip, and 12 days of it were road trip. We flew to London and took a bus to Bath for four nights. We then picked up a Vauxhall Integra from Enterprise and drove to Cardiff, Torquay, Salisbury, Oxford, Coventry, Rugby, and Bury St. Edmunds where Enterprise dropped me off at our son's house for several days. We spent Thanksgiving in Bury, and attended several Christmas Fairs as well as town Christmas Light festivals. We visited museums, castles, a great car museum, ruins, and much more. I survived the roundabouts, and right hand drive, but sometimes had trouble with the narrow streets. But we survived, and I have put together a large number of photos (but not most of the ones I took) at http://www.flickr.co...57638324748716/.

If you have time to browse through the 750+ photos, please do. It is a pleasure to be able to share our experiences, even if they were not on the American Road.

Good to hear from you Dave,

We are already planning our next trip, although our son Mike will be back stateside in April, meaning another trip this year to Albuquerque...

Dave,

I dug deeper into your photo trove this morning, and I have to say, you are not helping my US road trip planning! :) Sheila and I have enjoyed the UK and Ireland a few times, but that was many years ago. You are definitely making me think we need another visit.

I dread the awful air trip and the jet lag (and I almost had a head on driving on the right) , but that pales in comparison to spending a few weeks exploring. Years ago I took 6 weeks and toured on a bike....but I fear those days are past. None the less, I think we might do the isles again, and you are helping that along!

Oh, I must add again that the photos are excellent!!

Dave

Dave,

Glad to "help". Actually, rather than drive upon landing, we took a National Express bus from Heathrow to Bath and spent four days there before getting the rental car. And we took two tours in small tour buses while in Bath. I sat in the front behind the driver's left shoulder on those trips to orient myself to driving on the left while seated on the right, and I think it really helped. I had more trouble coming back to the US and driving that night to pick up dinner. I had to follow taillights for a couple of blocks before I really got re-oriented. But the traffic in the isles is much worse than I remembered from 1976, when I picked up the rental in downtown London, and dropped it off at Heathrow. This time I dropped the car in Bury St. Edmunds, and got a ride with our son to a hotel just outside of Heathrow, and rode the bus to the terminal in the morning. It all worked well.

Let me know when you are planning the trip...and Merry Christmas to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent photos of what was obviously a wonderful trip. Somewhere you commented that "touring ruins allow you to imagine". Viewing good photos of ruins allows you to do that, too, although it's certainly toned down a bunch. There was one disappointment, though. How could you possibly get that close to "dragon roasted coffee" without trying it or at least touring the factory/den?