American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Times Square To Lincoln Park - Done

I'm confident that all forum members know that this is the Lincoln Highway's centennial year and most are probably aware of the Lincoln Highway Association car tours that drove from each coast and met in the middle. Quite a few members are also aware of my participation even though I failed to announce it here myself. It was implied in a thread or two and Keep the Show on the Road Dave recently mentioned it in this sub-forum. After forgetting to announce it at the beginning, I've been waiting for an appropriate point and some available time to correct that. I'm not home yet but I have completed the Lincoln Highway portion which was the point of the whole trip so here 'tis:

http://www.dennygibson.com/lhcc2013/

Congrats to you (and your car) on making it all the way across the country on the LH. Definitely a once in a lifetime adventure. But, if you do decide to do it again, I'll make sure to stay in town so we can get together for a cup of java.

BTW, glad you were able to take the advice to travel over Tioga Pass on your way out of the Golden State. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your journey east.

Rick

It was a great trip, and I enjoyed following your always interesting exploits!

I too am pleased you "did the Tioga," but a bit sad to see the traffic. Sometimes I wonder why folks drive to magnificent places just to rush past them.

Yesterday marked 73 years on this globe, and more road trips than I can count....99.9% of them terrific. Tioga was early on my list, when I was still in high school, I drove it in my 51 Chev, and I recall the road as it was then.

Safe driving and looking to more from you!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Well, Denny, you are a regular Steinbeck, what with that description of the laundry experience at Barstow. It is a must read! A little bit of real life on the two lane....or just real life, period. I loved it! I have provided a link here for the uninitiated.

http://www.dennygibson.com/lhcc2013/day27/

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Denny,

I keep looking at your red Valiant and wishing I had one! As I noted before, I had a standard run of the mill green coupe in the early 1960's. It was a nice car, but seeing that red convertible makes it much better in my memory! Funny thing, I don't think of a 60's Valiant as “old” but 50 some years sure ain't new.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!

Dave

Denny -- I'm a little jealous of your trip! Sounds like you had a great time.

A little jealous? A LITTLE jealous? Apparently what I believed was the ultimate envy generator wasn't as perfect as I thought.

Oh, you read the part about no A/C and the fuel leaks? Never mind.

I keep looking at your red Valiant and wishing I had one!

I'm pretty sure that I've previously pointed out that I was not the first forum member to buy a slightly used red MoPar convertible. Did you let yours slip away?

Incidentally, the fifty year old car was no accident. I wanted something exactly half the age of the highway it was targeted for.

Denny.

First, thanks for the grand trip!! And done in the grand style.

I admit I did ponder the wisdom of driving with a known fuel leak, but since there was no explosion, my concern was misplaced! That you found a replacement so readily amazed me, but perhaps the prior replacement was a standard electric pump. Anyway, I'm glad we didn't read about you in the papers.

You have firmly established yourself as the grand poobah of road tripping!!

Next I'm hoping to see you employ live streaming TV like the storm chasers site offers. Then we could tune in in real time! I am half serious, because it can be done fairly inexpensively....I think.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Denny,

I've peeked at your blog a few times over the course of the trip, and I have to admit, you're one of the masters of travel blogging. The way you write and the supporting photographs are a delight to read. Wish I could have come along with you.

Chris