American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Covered Bridges Of Ashtabula County Ohio

etchr66

Please see the latest entry in the "For Namesake" Blog. This is about Geneva and Geneva on the Lake, Ohio. Both are located in Ashtabula County which has some eighteen covered bridges including both the shortest and the longest covered bridges in the United States.

The web site for the bridges is: http://www.experience-ohio-amish-country.com/covered-bridges.html

• Like 1

That is definitely a fine collection of covered bridges! I wonder why a specific county had so many? I suppose given a normal bell curve distribution of covered bridges, some county would have 18, but are there other reasons that make Ashtabula County, Ohio a prime place for covered bridges?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

I am certainly not an expert on the subject, but I suspect that it has to do with the location of the county as being near lake Erie and the amount of Snow that it receives. Also the county appears to have the insight to protect, promote and preserve the bridges that it has. There are a nearly 200 covered bridges in Pennsylvania as well and some of its counties have nearly as many as Ashtabula County, Ohio. There is a very nice website for the Pennsylvania Covered Bridges which shows them all by county. The link is:

http://pacoveredbridges.com

I love covered bridges and search them out whenever I travel.

etchr66