American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Little Shep' ... For The Road

eyerobic

Great video! But he better hurry because the K Marts are closing around here!!

I drove old US99 through Tacoma a couple of days ago just to photograph the roadside. The landmarks of the past are disappearing, but any old roadside has more to say that all the Interstates in the country combined.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

• 5 weeks later...

Talk about bringing back memories. Back in the late 40's, early 50's, long before interstates, we would drive from southern Maine out to the Dayton, OH, area to visit friends and relatives. Maine Turnpike to Kittery, U S 1 thru NH, down the Newburyport Turnpike (2-lanes and still is today - or at least it was) into Boston. Then it was U S 20 to Sturbridge, MA to Route 15 down to Hartford, CT and the Berlin Turnpike to the Merritt Parkway into New York. We took 22 west out of New York thru Easton and Allentown to Harrisburg where we picked up that wonder of the ages (at least to a 12 year old) the Pennsy - the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I waited most of the day to see this wonder and knowing Dad would "let the old girl romp" to see what that 12 year old 1937 Chrysler would do - he never got much over 75 then would drop back to 60 saying "that's fast enough". We spent the night in New Stanton - a far, far cry from todays New Stanton. Just a sleeply little cross-road. And you know - it took us 12 hours to New Stanton - I've driven it over the interstates in recent years - and it STILL takes 12 hours!!! And if you take a motel it's hard to get to sleep with all the big trucks rumbling thru. We went somehow or other over to U S 40 to Dayton.

I've driven the Interstate in PA that replaced 22 - but what I can see of it these days bears no resemblance nor can I find anything I remember from those far away days - same with 40 and I've driven that from Wheeling to Indianapolis in recent years.

Just a dim memory some 60 years later.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Loved your post!! Great word images of what it was like "on the road" back when!!

As you know, there is no sense in driving the interstate with the hope of seeing anything. I have a copy of the study/proposal for the interstate past spectacular Lake Coeur d' Alene in Idaho. It promises beautiful views of the lake. Only problem is that they built 8 foot walls along the road, probably to prevent anyone from being distracted on the curves doing 70 while trying to see the lake. :lol:

Anyway, your descriptions were great.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!