American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Paul Bunyan's Woodpile

roadhound

I0000D2mKn0dVXm8.jpg

The final blog posting from my 2012 summer adventure and my first ever posting in the U.S. 6 forum. I think that it may have also been the first time I had ever driven on US 6. As I mention in the blog posting this "attraction" is not very well known or is it well marked. I needed geo coordinates just to find where I needed to turn off of US 6. I tried to capture the mood of what we were all feeling by that time based on what I wrote in my travel journal that night.

http://www.rwphotos.com/blog/?p=1142

Roadhound

Rick,

Old Paul really got around!

The woodpile is quite interesting to me. And I was completely unaware of its existence. That is unusual for an old western roadie like me.

Several things were unique about that formation. It took a lot of geologic churning to get the “logs” in that position. Definitely worth seeing if I even get to that area again.

I pursued your photo catalog a little, following the link in your blog. As always the photos are great and more, and it has grown a lot in the past few years. And many of the photos, I would say most, are off the beaten path.

Folks here should take a visit because Rick has not only produced a terrific set of images, he has also added descriptions and the history of each location. For me, and I hope for others, it is a great collection of places I want to visit.

(Rick, I want to make a suggestion. If it is convenient, why not include one of the photos in your posts, to whet the appetite and draw interest.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Thanks for the endorsement Dave! I sincerely appreciate it.

***WARNING, SMAMELESS SELF PROMOTION TO FOLLOW****

You can visit my website at http://www.rwphotos.com or for those of you that are on Facebook you can "Like" me here. All the photos are available as prints so if you see something that would look good hanging on your wall please don't hesitate to add it to the cart.

</ end shameless self promotion>

Many of the places I have visited over the last few years I would not have known about if not for the regular contributors to this board. Every time someone posts photos and descriptions from their road trips it starts me looking online and at maps, which often leads to new destinations and reasons to hit the road. Somewhere deep down in the Lincoln Highway forum is a post by a newbie asking where the Lincoln Highway was in Utah. This board was so responsive that the "newbie" has since driven it from Salt Lake to California twice and he is still discovering new spots that he needs to explore along the way. I only hope that I can share half as much with this board as I have gotten out of it and if in the process there happens to be few photos that you enjoy then that is good too.

Roadhound

"I only hope that I can share half as much with this board as I have gotten out of it and if in the process there happens to be few photos that you enjoy then that is good too."

You have certainly accomplished that! And you have inspired me to learn more about photography. I have been doing it for 50 years, and it has been a factor in every trip I have ever taken, but I still have not achieved your quality of work. I told Sheila this morning that after 50 years of practice,, I am still not half as good as Rick. But I still enjoy it and I keep learning, so keep giving us examples to aspire to!!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!