American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Se Virginia/ne North Carolina Road Trips

OK folks, I am in Virginia Beach area of Virginia. Who can recommend some good day trips in the SE Virginia/NE North Carolina area? Also any recommendation for good Mom and Pop eateries and motels would be appreciated.

Like Dave says, it seems you've probably got an open field. I recall being in Virginia Beach just once and that was primarily to touch the eastern tip of US-60 which I did in the rain. I followed US-60 most of the way home on that trip which lead me to the Colonial Parkway and the Williamsburg-Jamestown-Yorktown triangle. That's about 50 miles from Virginia and about the only thing I can personally suggest in the area. Of course, there are an awful lot of ships and sailors between Virginia Beach and Williamsburg. On another trip to the area (both were while my son was stationed there) we spent an enjoyable day on the Norfolk waterfront. I know the USS Wisconsin is there and open as a museum but I haven't been on it myself.

Dave and Denny, It's funny you mention the Cape Henry Lighthouse and the Wisconsin. The wife and I have been to both of those spots twice in the last 3 months. Both times taking friends and family we had visiting us. The lighthouse is only about 5 miles down the road from us on the Chesapeak Bay and the Wisconsing a bit further (Maybe 8 miles) the other way in Norfolk on the Elizabeth river.

The Colonial Parkway is a great ride on the bikes. And that whole Williamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown area is very nice. We ride the Colonial Parkway from Yorktown, thru Williamsburg to Jamestown, then take a 15 minute ferry ride across to Surry and head back down south to VB.

Will try and get some pictures posted when I get home.

While poking around RoadsideAmerica.com for my own reasons, I plugged in Virginia Beach and came up with a gas station replica & museum about 40 crow miles away. It looks like something worth stopping at if you're riding by.

How long will you be in Virginia Beach? I think I'll probably be about 170 miles away in Raleigh, NC, on New Year's Eve.

Northeast North Carolina has both the Wright Brothers National Memorial near Kill Devil Hills and Fort Raleigh National Historic Site close by at Manteo. As I enjoy both aviation and early American History, both are of interest to me. The latter is the site of the "Lost Colony", and is particularly eerie as it is still unknown what exactly became of this pre-Jamestown attempt to establish an English colony in North America.

@ Denny, I'll be in the VA Beach area for probably the next 11 years till I retire and move to NM or AZ. But unfortunately this weekend I'll be up in the DC area with friends. Maybe next time you're in the area?

@mga707 We like the OBX area and get down there a few times a year (usually in the summer, on the bikes). Another great thing about OBX is the light houses. There are three you can get to without taking a ferry and another 2 if you don't mind the ferry.

@mga707 We like the OBX area and get down there a few times a year (usually in the summer, on the bikes). Another great thing about OBX is the light houses. There are three you can get to without taking a ferry and another 2 if you don't mind the ferry.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been to the eastern side of VA/NC in way too long. Have to get back there sometime. Just to clarify in case someone's wondering, OBX stands for Outer Banks, the long, thin barrier islands that are separated from the rest of North Carolina by Currituck/Albemarle/Pamlico sounds. Long known as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" due to the large number of shipwrecks, the Banks were also pirate/privateer (depending on which side of British maritime law he was operating under at the time) Blackbeard's favorite haunts. Arrrrr! ;)

Edited by mga707
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the Spring 2013 issue of American Road magazine for a North Carolina coast feature article. :happy2:

You might also want to check our back issue index (the info is compiled by none other than forum member Rick Etchells—thanks Rick!). You can search by state for articles.

We look forward to hearing about your discoveries!

• Like 1

Thanks Becky!