American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dropping By...

knightfan26917

"I'm not afraid things won't get better, but it feels like this has gone on forever" __ Toad The Wet Sprocket __ 'Good Intentions'

Cars & music = time machines that just keep playing!

Life is like cars & music; it runs, grooves & stays alive in surprising ways.

Stopping in to say "hello" & share some highlights (pics below); perhaps I can't say "goodbye" completely....

* For the last week or so, I haven't slept or eaten much. It may just be stress, but I have an appointment w/my PCP this Thursday to make sure. I'd hate to think the pneumonia has returned or an issue has developed w/my pig or cow valves....

* I probably will start writing again, particularly my Route 66 story. Should also carve out some time to update the website Ray B created for me....

* Paid $10 for a hood ornament for my 1979 Caprice Classic at the Fall 2012 Jefferson WI Swap Meet. Last time I was at Fall Jefferson was 1998; I bought the 4 wire hubcaps for my '79 MC for $5 total. [The original '79 caps were moved to my (then parents') '81 MC, which had plain Malibu caps on it, per my parents' request at time of original purchase.] This year, I also found a HotWheels 2nd gen MC, which I bought for my nephew to complete his collection of all 4 generations; yes, he already knows which generation is which!

* Went to Freeport IL & Winnebago IL to visit friends; a friend from Pittsburgh PA visited while in the area.

* Went to a drive-in theater to watch a movie for the 1st time (been to several drive-ins along Route 66). Saw "Back To The Future" & "Jaws" at the McHenry IL Drive-In.

* At the Morris IL Car Show/Swap Meet, 10/21/2012, I bought 2 dealer posters ... 1979 Caprice Classic sedan & 1979 Blazer (red/white, just like Uncle Glen's, the 1st vehicle I drove before I got my license). I also saw some cool cars, including several MCs that "found" me. Guess I'll never get away from them...?

* My '79 & '81 MCs surpassed the 1,000-mile for the year in LESS THAN 2 MONTHS, a bittersweet milestone, & weather-permitting, will have ~1,200 for the year before snow flies. It's been a heck of a spring/summer/fall...!

* My 1979 Caprice Classic reminds me of the 70s-orange 1978 CC that, in mid-1984, was considered as a possible replacement for "my" '76 MC. I remember that fateful Labor Day Friday when I rounded the last corner between school & home & did NOT see "my" car in the driveway. I was told that, come Tuesday, a 1982 Chevette (at least it is RWD &, like the CC, has NEVER been front-wheel-drive!) would be ours; that was the only time I've seen the FRONT of a '76 MC frown (seen the rear frown many times). Though it's been ~3 months, each time I drive my remaining 2 MCs, I fully expect to see 5 MCs when that garage door opens.... I know, they're "just cars", but I miss my former MCs (1972, 1976, 1987) a LOT & only a few people will understand/know that.... Even so, later this week, I will ADD a 1989 Caprice Classic to the family...!

* Lots of "Nephew Time"! I've taught him well, it seems. He's asked when he can hear me on the radio again & knows cars well. I've played cars w/him, of course, & he has sat on my lap to listen to music, watch CARS-clip videos & a junkyard/car video ... multiple times. I wonder if my soon-to-be-niece will love her "Uncle Cort" as much as her brother does.... He'll be 4 in less than a month!

* Walked along a path in some wetlands in town around which had been farmland until new homes were built. That's farmland lost to homes that cost more than I'll ever afford, w/new Honda Ridgelines, Toyota Priuses, Cadillac Escalades, etc., in the driveways while the 3-car garages are storage containers. Yes, "progress is progress", but sometimes I wonder. Thinking of the past is "nostalgic" & "taboo", but I sometimes wish I could see life, towns, people, etc., back when the cars I enjoy ruled the roadways, driveways & garages of the United States....

* I've wanted to move away from cold, ice & snow, but I'd miss a lot of nephew (& niece) time. Yet, depending on who is hiring, maybe a move is a chance to start over. I just hate it that family & friends are "so far away", no matter where I am.... We work too hard for too little (when employed, that is), but don't have time, energy or money for all we want to do in life.

* What a life, full of twists & turns (good & bad) that we never expect. I'm not where I'd thought I'd be at this age, but that isn't necessarily bad...just frustrating, especially if I'm still unemployed come the end of December (most-likely no Christmas Eve radio show this year).... Recently, I've caught myself thinking, 'If I could just get around this corner, I can start my life.' Except, physically I'm 39 & have turned many corners. Medically, I'm probably twice Betty White's age. Mentally, I'm still a kid-teenager-young adult trying to find...me or something. The restless unsettledness (job hunt, decreasing $$ & stuff on my mind) is increasingly frustrating.

* This December will be 25 years since my original best friend died of an asthma attack, 12/27/87, 9 months after my 2nd open heart surgery. I was reminded one day when I drove my 1979 Caprice Classic to Fox River Grove-Cary IL. For as many times as I've driven that route the last month, as I headed north on IL RT 31, just north of I-90 & the Holiday Inn, a late 1970s Cadillac parked in the cemetery (east side of the road) caught my eye; I was instantly reminded that Josh is buried there.

* In a few weeks, I'll celebrate the 1st anniversary of my 4th OHS.

* I hope, after the election, we remember we are friends/family. Otherwise, we are in a heap of trouble, no matter who is elected.

PICS!

Nephew James w/his 4 MC generations, L-R = green 1970 (1st), yellow 1973-5 (2nd), yellow 1980 (3rd) & black 1986 SS (4th)

10042012_1_NephewJames_4MCgenerations.jpg

Old 1979 MC emblem (similar to old 1979 Caprice Classic hood ornament emblem) w/new hood ornament, purchased in mid-1990s from GM

10022012_Emblem_79mc_2_OldNewBack.jpg

Original 1981 MC hood ornament emblem, NO replacement needed

10022012_Emblem_81mc_1_OriginalFront.jpg

New 1979 Caprice Classic hood ornament installed

10042012_Emblem_79CC_2_NewEmblemFirstPic.jpg

1979 MC, 10/10/2012, during the drive that reached the 1,000-mile mark for the year. This is heading north on IL RT 47, which connects the Lincoln Highway, Route 66, US 20 & I-90.

10102012_04_79mc_1000miles_ILRT47n.jpg

1979 MC, 10/10/2012, after reaching 1,000 miles for 2012. Overall, the '79 MC now has over 147K miles.

10102012_09_79mc_1000miles_RearCorner.jpg

1981 MC, 10/10/2012, during the drive that reached the 1,000-mile mark for the year. This is along Crawford Rd.

10102012_15_81mc_1000miles_CrawfordRd.jpg

1981 MC, 10/10/2012, after reaching 1,000 miles for 2012. Overall, the '81 MC now has over 195K miles.

10102012_17_81mc_1000miles_RearCorner.jpg

1979 Blazer & 1979 Caprice Classic dealer posters purchased from Rodney at the Morris IL Car Show/Swap Meet

10212012_DealerPosters_79CC79blazer_MorrisIL.jpg

I miss my former MCs more than some know, but this is my soon-to-be 1989 Caprice Classic w/me looking at it

89CC_2me.jpg

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics

CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* roadsNwheels + CapriceClassicForum = http://rdwhl-capriceclassic.proboards.com/ *

"Can we stop this time or must we go again?" __ TG Sheppard __ 'Finally'

Cort,

Thanks for the update, and Happy Anniversary!" Best wishes for many more!

Seeing those hood ornaments was a rush! I have forgotten them with our modern cars. I recall my old Pontiac had an amber Indian head that I want to recall was lit from the inside.....but maybe that was just an old man's "reconstructed" memory.

It does lead me to another story. I had a blue 1951 Chev with spinners, so being a bit of an electrician I put lights up under the wheel wells, painted the bulbs with blue dope (not what is smoked), and for a few weeks was the talk of the 1st Street "drag strip." Even the cops weren't sure whether side lights were a good or bad idea. Those were the days when cops and kids with cars enjoyed a mutual interest......cars. The bulbs eventually got too hot, burned the blue paint, and then I had brown lights.

And speaking of cops, we all had loud dual exhaust pipes. It was assumed to be granny's car if you didn't have "pipes.". You would wind her up, then let her roar for blocks when you took your foot off the gas. You never passed a girl without a salute.

Anyway the loud "pipes" were illegal, so the Santa Clara police and we car guys (this was the day when most teenagers walked) had a private agreement. We would not rap and roar in quiet residential areas, and if we had a set of exhaust silencers in the trunk with a receipt, and we promised we were "just about to put them on," we wouldn't get a ticket if we were stopped.

Be well.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I

Knightfan - only 4 things in this world worth spit; Older whiskey, younger wimmen, faster cars (Monte Carlo???), and more money. You got those and you wake up breathing in the morning you got it all.

I had a Monte - 1986 model. Had a 305 that turned out to have a few goodies done to it somewhere along the line. Fellow I sold it to told me with the modifications done to the engine he had it tested out to around 200 hp. But what do I know.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Thanks for the update, and Happy Anniversary!" Best wishes for many more!

You are welcome ... and thank you, Dave!!!

Seeing those hood ornaments was a rush! I have forgotten them with our modern cars. I recall my old Pontiac had an amber Indian head that I want to recall was lit from the inside.....but maybe that was just an old man's "reconstructed" memory.

Nope ... that lit Indian head is real; I've seen one in person! And, I wish modern cars HAD emblems, let alone hood ornaments. *sighs* Anyway, glad you enjoyed the pics. ;)

Knightfan - only 4 things in this world worth spit; Older whiskey, younger wimmen, faster cars (Monte Carlo???), and more money. You got those and you wake up breathing in the morning you got it all.

I had a Monte - 1986 model. Had a 305 that turned out to have a few goodies done to it somewhere along the line. Fellow I sold it to told me with the modifications done to the engine he had it tested out to around 200 hp. But what do I know.

True, Alex.....!

Which 1986 MC model did you have? SC, LS or SS?

"I thought that time would cure" __ Tom Wopat __ 'A Little Bit Closer'

Tests (CT scan, chest Xray, bloodwork) showed NO appendicitis or pneumonia. So, it most-likely is stress. Solution? Spend more time w/people (road trip or something else...!) to have fun & relax. Problem? Distance & availability. Ugh!

Purchased the 1989 Caprice Classic the evening of 10/26/2012, so the '89 is now mine ... officially! Good or bad, it's a new chapter of my car family. Heh, 10 years ago (March 2002), I added a 1st gen to complete my MC collection w/all 4 generations: '72 (1970-72), '76 (1973-77), '79 (1978-1980) & '81 (1981-88); the '87 arrived mid-2003. Now, I have 2 MC generations, 3rd (1979) & 4th (1981), & 2 Caprice Classics, 1979 (LP="WINTR 79") & 1989 (LP="SUMMR 89"), which though virtually are the same car, look & drive vastly different....

This October, I celebrated 20 years owning my '79 MC. Earlier this year, my '81 MC surpassed 30 years in our family. I've owned the 1979 Caprice Classic for 3 years now. I've met many people through my cars (past & present) & road trips, & have experienced many good things because of them. I look forward to many more years of car ownership & awesome experiences....

AND ... since you can't hit at what you don't swing, anyone want to help me attempt to land a job (& be able to do my Christmas Eve radio show for the 4th straight year)? If you own a business, know someone who does, or can put me in contact w/your employer's "decision maker", Email me:

faithcubsmc2691

@

aol.com

Businesses for this can be located ANYWHERE in the United States, but must have a product or service that the public uses, like hotels, restaurants, gas stations, car repair shops, attractions, museums, stores, events, etc. Thank you!

MORE PICS!

My new "Car Family", 1989 Caprice Classic, '79 MC, '81 MC, 1979 Caprice Classic...

10282012_NewFamily_01_89CC81mc79mc79CC.jpg

10282012_NewFamily_02.jpg

10282012_NewFamily_06.jpg

10282012_NewFamily_07.jpg

Comparing my 2 Caprice Classics, 1979 & 1989...

10282012_CapriceClassics_01_1979and1989.jpg

10282012_CapriceClassics_08.jpg

10282012_CapriceClassics_09.jpg

10282012_CapriceClassics_10.jpg

10282012_CapriceClassics_11.jpg

10282012_CapriceClassics_12.jpg

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics

* roadsNwheels + CapriceClassicForum = http://rdwhl-capriceclassic.proboards.com/ *

"I may lose the battle, but I love the fight" __ John Schneider __ 'Love, You Ain't Seen The Last Of Me'

Which 1986 MC model did you have? SC, LS or SS?

I can't remember which model I had - but I'm thinking the LS. Had the removeable glass roof - I had the panels out once. Would never buy one of those again - to much worry about the glass panels getting broken and then what do you do if your in a hurricane 500 miles from a garage!!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

I can't remember which model I had - but I'm thinking the LS. Had the removeable glass roof - I had the panels out once. Would never buy one of those again - to much worry about the glass panels getting broken and then what do you do if your in a hurricane 500 miles from a garage!!!!

LOL! Yeah, that'd be a bit of a predicament, Alex. ;)

The T-tops were available in all 3 models. The "SC" model had a "boxy" front end; the "LS" model had composite (euro) headlights; and the "SS" model was the one raced in NASCAR, if that helps at all.

"I'm on a wheel of fortune with a twist of fate" __ Bee Gees __ 'Alone'