American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Tippets Ranch

Five years ago when my son, father, and I followed the Lincoln Highway through the Utah Desert into Nevada we made a very brief stop at Tippets Ranch. The weather was cruddy, wind was blowing, and it was getting late in the day. I knew then that I would need to go back and explore it a bit more. Last July the three of us once again crossed the desert on our way home from a camping trip in Utah but this time we spent a bit more time at Tippets.

The Lincoln Highway years are but a small part of the history of Tippets Ranch. It was founded in the latter part of the 1800's and the store was open until the early 1970's. Since it is located in Nevada just across the border from Utah and the Goshute Indian reservation it was a popular place to socialize and procure the fire water. On some maps the road is even listed as Whiskey Rd.

I00006rlv6NYCB44.jpg

Store at Tippets Ranch

I0000dNjH4desqYw.jpg

Store at Tippets Ranch

I0000KGWb1GJqarE.jpg

I0000XFAuHswm1Cs.jpg

I0000YKauX1Vbq1E.jpg

The stone grainhouse at Tippet's Ranch dates back to the 1890's and was constructed without the use of mortar.

I0000jD3j1LZbYOc.jpg

Roadhound

Rick,

It is good to see Tippets hasn't been ruined. It has been several years since I was that way, but your great photos brought it all back.

Did you happen to get a shot of the Reservoir (across the road)? I think Eisenhower's troops camped near it....if memory serves.

Thanks for the memories.....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

We must have just missed him. Nobody else was there when we go there. Nobody for miles and miles.

I'm not sure when either of you were there; Just that your postings were close together. I'm glad there was no aggravating two car congestion.

Rick,

It is good to see Tippets hasn't been ruined. It has been several years since I was that way, but your great photos brought it all back.

Did you happen to get a shot of the Reservoir (across the road)? I think Eisenhower's troops camped near it....if memory serves.

Thanks for the memories.....

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave,

Unfortunately I neglected to take any shots of the reservoir across the road.

You are correct about Eisenhower's stop at Tippets back in 1917. I find it very interesting how the impression that cross country journey made on him then as a young 2nd Lt, combined with the experience of moving men and material on the autobahn in Germany during World War II, led to our Interstate Highways. He definetely knew that to win a war you had to be able to move effectively and the Lincoln back in 1917 was not the most effective way to move an army.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that even today the roads and bridges on the interstates have to be able to support the weight of an M1 Abrams.

Roadhound