American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Alex Is Old Enough To Vote...and Them Some!

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to popular rumor I was not around to vote for Teddy Roosevelt. However, consider the following:

I was born when the DC-3 was just becoming THE passenger airplane and I saw man walk on the moon;

I listened to Jack Armstrong, Terry and the Pirates, etc on radio and got to see moving images on a screen called TV;

I grew up in the era BIS (before Interstates) and I've seen the great mess called the interstate highway system grow to what it is today:

I have seen 13 presidents - 1 died in office, 1 was assassinated, 1 was forced to resign - and the current is black, something that was unthinkable in the era I grew up in:

Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford. Jimmy Carter,

Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama;

I got to see Halley's comet - as did my dad (tho he didn't remember it being only a year old);

I have seen small towns wither and die - many due to the interstate highway system;

I have seen the mom & pop stores buried under the conglomerate stores;

I have seen the corner grocer adding up the bill for groceries on the bag to computers running (or is that ruining) our lives;

I have seen this country slowly dying as all great nations must - my kids don't have life as good as I did and my grandkids won't have the life style I had growing up:

I have seen a time when it was safe for the kids to play outside all day (after school) and into the early evening when we caught fireflys;

I've married and divorced twice - and my first ex-wife has left this earth.

I have seen much in the 75 years I've been running around agitating people, most of it good (maybe), but much not so good. The way things are today I'm not really sure I'd like to stick around for the next 75 years, thank you.

But to all that wished me a HAPPY BIRTHDAY I thank you and wish all of you well and safe travels.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN