American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Like A Shooting Star; The Meteor Crater Observatory

Yet another blog entry with photos from my Arizona Route 66 exploration last April. It had been a long, productive day of exploration for me and my son. We started the day in Kingman with stops at Hyde Park, Seligman, Ash Fork, Parks, Flagstaff, Winona, Twin Arrows, Padre Canyon, Two Guns, Canyon Diablo, and even a drive through the Navajo Reservation in search of a waterfall we never did find. Our last stop of the day was at the ruins of the Meteor Crater Observatory.

Photos & my report are HERE

Roadhound

Rick,

I recall the observatory. Nice photos, as usual. I especially like the one with the sun very low in the sky.

Which raises a question. Some of those shots are in daylight but at least one is not. Did you hang around, stay overnight nearby, or use a photo trick I need to learn?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Rick,

I recall the observatory. Nice photos, as usual. I especially like the one with the sun very low in the sky.

Which raises a question. Some of those shots are in daylight but at least one is not. Did you hang around, stay overnight nearby, or use a photo trick I need to learn?

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hi Dave,

The observatory was our last stop of the day. We rushed from Two Guns to the Meteor Crater observatory as the sun was falling fast in the western sky. If you look closely at the photos you will see that the shadows are quite long. We had about 30 minutes of exploration time before the sun set and then we hung around for the "blue hour." If your're wondering what the blue hour is it is that time after sunset and before get its dark when you are still able to see but the part of the light spectrum that makes photos look warm is no longer present. The sensors on the digital cameras pick this up better than your eyes do and thus things look blue.

We were going to hang around a while after the sunset and catch the moonrise but there were to many clouds in the eastern sky (plus we were both hungry & cold), so we instead went back to Flagstaff for some food and a bed for the night. If it had been later in the year I might have slept in the back of my truck but the temps were forecasted to be in the high 20's that night. Plus, I had to be in Phoenix by 9:30 the next morning which was probably more of a deciding factor.

Meteor Crater Observatory during the blue hour

Rick