American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

66 The Hard Way

DennyG

On Thursday I started driving west on US-44. When it ends, I'm jumping to the east end of US-22 and following it home to Cincinnati. The reason? The world of US route numbers has room for precisely four twin-digit even numbered routes. One, US-88, never happened and another, US-66, became the most famous of US highways, but has been decommissioned. That leaves just US-22 and US-44 as the only "living" members of this exclusive group. Thursday's journal is here and journals for subsequent days will be posted as the trip progresses. The cover page for the whole trip, which necessarily includes getting to that eastern terminus, is here.

Love that "numbers game", Denny! Heh ... I love how things work out like that. Love reading about your trips...wish i could do that as much, too!

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Live right now" __ Jimmy Eat World __ 'The Middle'

It was so much fun to spend several hours with Denny on Sunday, and to see me appearing in his "travellog" this morning. I hope more of this group can get to America On Wheels in the near future, and allow me to share a few of my passions with others.

Denny was a great audience for my constant jabber as well. Thanks for including me Denny!

That's a darned nice museum and you (Dave) made it all that much better. It's always good to get your questions answered and to get some not-in-the-brochure info.

I definitely recommend a visit to America On Wheels to folks who get anywhere close. I really wanted to see the 100 years of Chevy display but ended up enjoying the Cars That Were Stars display a whole bunch and I'm sure whatever comes after that will be cool, too. And the temporary display area is just a fraction of the museum.

I've been following Denny's latest road trip with interest. Way back, further than I care to remember, between 1949 and 1952 I made several trips with my family from southern Maine out to the Dayton area to visit friends and relatives. We took 22 from New York to Harrisburg where we picked up the Mother of all Roads (at least to this at the time 12 year old!!) the Pennsy (Turnpike) which we followed to New Stanton for overnight. 12 hours - about the same as today, actually. In more recent years I've traveled U S 209 between Milford, PA and I-87 and have taken 44 thru New York a few times so paved the way for Denny's trip - so to speak..

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec