American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lodging Near Dixie Highway / Lincoln Highway In Illinois

BlueRidgeMike

We are in the early planning stages of our next Route 66 trip which will also involve returning on some variant of US80 / Bankhead Highway / Lee Highway / Dixie Overland Highway. I'll figure that out later, but my more immediate concern is the early part of the trip. I think Sharon and I are going to spend a Wednesday night in the Wigwam #2 again in Cave City, KY. Then we will follow the western alignment of the Dixie Highway from there to somewhere close to Chicago on Thursday. My goal is to get to the Adams/Michigan Avenue starting point of Route 66 in Chicago very early - 6am or earlier on Friday so we can be clear of city traffic before it gets intense.

I noticed that the Dixie Highway and Lincoln Highway intersect in Chicago Heights. Does anyone know of a good motel near there? It doesn't have to be exactly there; I just don't want a long drive to Chicago in the morning. The other thing is that we will very likely be in my 1937 Ford, so my preference is to avoid spending the night in a "sketchy" neighborhood.

Any thoughts? I'll stay in a nice hotel with valet parking if I have to, but give me a nice, clean, historic motel on an historic road any day.

Thanks.

Mike

This won't be exactly the answer you are hoping for but I'll tell you what I've done. Over the years I've developed the habit of stopping in Merrillville, IN, when going to Chicago. This started with business travel and continued with pleasure trips including Route 66. It's really just a standard cluster of chain stuff but it's far enough from Chicago to not BE Chicago and close enough to get downtown in an hour or so. (It should be 15 minutes but isn't ;-) It's also the right distance from Cincinnati to get to without a strain. I see that the last time I did something along these lines (2009 - Lincoln Highway) I stayed at the Super 8 there. In the past I've stayed at other bargain class chain motels in the area. I'm not aware of any mom & pops but with the LH & DH crossing near there (Merrillville is on the LH about 15 miles east of the DH) it seems like there should be some.

Now I'll tell you what I've thought of doing. I've never stayed there but I've heard good reports about the Ohio House Motel in Chicago from Route 66 travelers. There are some things I'd like to do in Chicago (blues, Dave Clark tour) and spending a night or two there would make that easier than staying somewhere like Merrillville and cheaper than staying somewhere like the Waldorf. I have yet to drive the DH from Louisville to Chicago so I've thought of doing that with a little Chicago on the end. I'm half planning on doing all of 66 and attending the festival in Victorville in August and I could do a little Chicago on the front. And, of course, I've thought of doing what you're doing and doing a little Chicago in the middle.

Thanks for the info Denny. I looked at your link for the Ohio House Motel and that looks particularly interesting to me, and looks to be only a mile or so away from our Route 66 starting point. When we figure out our timing, if it's available I think we may stay there.

There is also a Best Western just around the corner from the Ohio House. I'm guessing it is a step up from the Ohio House and it does have parking. The Ohio House and this Best Western are the only two lodging facilities I know of in the downtown area that have parking. I'm guessing you're not to excited about giving you '37 to a valet.

There is also a Best Western just around the corner from the Ohio House. I'm guessing it is a step up from the Ohio House and it does have parking. The Ohio House and this Best Western are the only two lodging facilities I know of in the downtown area that have parking. I'm guessing you're not to excited about giving you '37 to a valet.

Thanks for the information; and the comment about Chicago Heights too. Good to know. My preference would definitely be to NOT give the car to a valet. :drive1:

I've never stayed there but I've heard good reports about the Ohio House Motel in Chicago from Route 66 travelers.

I, too, have heard nothing but good reports in the last few years about the OHM. I've never stayed there, but we drive past it on the way to Northwestern for all of my heart-related appointments/checkups. They seem to have spruced it up a bit over the last few years.

A word of caution, however ... the last time we were in Chicago (early January for another follow-up for my 11/11/2011 open heart surgery), they were just starting what appeared to be "major" road construction, particularly around the OHM. I don't know what they were doing or how long that is going to be the case. You might want to check into it before making plans....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"We were shinin' like lighters in the dark in the middle of a rock show" __ Jake Owen __ 'Barefoot Blue Jean Night'

Here is what a Route 66 traveler had to say about the Ohio House on the Historic Route 66 Forum:

The Ohio House was OK. But just barely. The rooms were clean but they are definitely showing their age. Our bedspread had a a couple of tears in it that had been stitched back together. Not a sign of a place that cares about the impression given to their guests. The woman that checked us in wasn't very friendly. She seemed to be bothered by the fact that we were interrupting whatever she was doing on her laptop computer.

We also found the place a bit too noisy. Chicago drivers are IN LOVE with their car horns. I've never heard so much honking. I think a toot on the car horn is their way of saying F-you and they were saying it a LOT! Day and night.

But, for $99 a night with free parking, we knew we weren't going to get the Hilton. Nobody in our group really complained about the Ohio House, except for the rude woman that checked us in.