American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Posting Problems

ypsi-slim

When I choose a font and size, bracketed entries are inserted in my post.

The size bracket entry shows up in the post preview and the post. Do you pick the font and size first and then type the post, or type the entire post, highlight the text and then pick font and size. I guess no one is using this function as the type and size appears the same in all posts except for Jennifer's signature.

No font changes or size changes are ever applied to the posts. This time I am highlighting the entire post and then selecting a font to see if it works. It does. I am trying this with a size. That works too only if I highlight the text, and have my curser after the font bracket when I select the size. I will attempt to post this in Times New Roman size 3.

What does size 1 through 7 refer to? I am used to using font point sizes such as in most Windows application and on the Internet. I normally post in Times New Roman 12 point. This default font is a sans serif one. Is it ariel?

What does "When making a post, you will most likely have the option to use IBF code when posting." mean?

If I compose an e-mail in HTML in an Office Application or another Windows based e-mail application and cut and paste it into a post on the Forum will my hyperlinks work? If not, will I have to recreate each one via the insert hyperlink function on the Forum. This would be extremely tedious.

I have prepared a Lincoln Highway e-newsletter with scores of hyperlinks that I do not want to recreate via the Forum, and it may be too long - are there any other options to share this info via an administrator interceding? <_<

When I choose a font and size, bracketed entries are inserted in my post.

The size bracket entry shows up in the post preview and the post. Do you pick the font and size first and then type the post, or type the entire post, highlight the text and then pick font and size. I guess no one is using this function as the type and size appears the same in all posts except for Jennifer's signature.

The way I do it, is to type the text first, then highlight it, and then change the attribute, such as bold, italic, size, etc.

No font changes or size changes are ever applied to the posts. This time I am highlighting the entire post and then selecting a font to see if it works. It does. I am trying this with a size. That works too only if I highlight the text, and have my curser after the font bracket when I select the size. I will attempt to post this in Times New Roman size 3.

What does size 1 through 7 refer to? I am used to using font point sizes such as in most Windows application and on the Internet. I normally post in Times New Roman 12 point. This default font is a sans serif one. Is it ariel?.

I think the default font is trebuchet. The font size, rather than point size, is represented as a fixed number and some browsers map them to various sizes.

What does "When making a post, you will most likely have the option to use IBF code when posting." mean?

If you look to the left of the screen, directly under the smilies, there is a link that says BB Code help. That will show you the code you would need to add to make your links clickable, in lieu of using the insert hyperlink function. However, I suggest, you try the option below...

If I compose an e-mail in HTML in an Office Application or another Windows based e-mail application and cut and paste it into a post on the Forum will my hyperlinks work? If not, will I have to recreate each one via the insert hyperlink function on the Forum. This would be extremely tedious.

If it's an e-mail with just a couple of links, you might insert them using the link feature, or the BB code. If it's the newsletter you mentioned with many links, that would be tedious. In that case, the easiest way to accomplish what you want to do is to type your newsletter in whatever Office product you use, and save it as an HTML file. Then, you can attach the HTML file to your post and direct the reader to click on the attachment. I have attached such a file as an example.

I have prepared a Lincoln Highway e-newsletter with scores of hyperlinks that I do not want to recreate via the Forum, and it may be too long - are there any other options to share this info via an administrator interceding?.

See reply above.

Let me know if that works!

Please click this "sample newsletter":

test.htm

Even though I couldn't answer all the questions, I started a reply then got picked up for dinner and fortunately found Jennifer had responded by the time I got back. The only other thing I had in my reply was the observation that the American Road Newsletter was emailed in HTML as well as being posted here in BBCode. I'm guessing that there is a newsletter feature included in Invision Board that allows a newsletter to be composed with BBCode then converted and mailed in HTML. But it also seems possible that (as Russell would like) it was originally composed offline (in MS-Word or similar) then mailed and posted. What's the truth, Jennifer?

I'll also mention that if you click an attribute with no text selected, an opening tag is inserted and you'll have to close it manually or by clicking the red X (it might be a crossed out T) at the far right of the font selection line. Selecting then clicking is probably more intuitive.

I was also going to suggest an attachment as a workaround. I thought that the "Global Space Left: 19.53mb" comment next to the attachment controls might be a concern. But it shows the same number after Jennifer's post with attachment so maybe it doesn't mean what I thought.

Even though I couldn't answer all the questions, I started a reply then got picked up for dinner and fortunately found Jennifer had responded by the time I got back. The only other thing I had in my reply was the observation that the American Road Newsletter was emailed in HTML as well as being posted here in BBCode. I'm guessing that there is a newsletter feature included in Invision Board that allows a newsletter to be composed with BBCode then converted and mailed in HTML. But it also seems possible that (as Russell would like) it was originally composed offline (in MS-Word or similar) then mailed and posted. What's the truth, Jennifer?

I'll also mention that if you click an attribute with no text selected, an opening tag is inserted and you'll have to close it manually or by clicking the red X (it might be a crossed out T) at the far right of the font selection line. Selecting then clicking is probably more intuitive.

I was also going to suggest an attachment as a workaround. I thought that the "Global Space Left: 19.53mb" comment next to the attachment controls might be a concern. But it shows the same number after Jennifer's post with attachment so maybe it doesn't mean what I thought.

I'm not actually sure how Becky does the newsletter. It would probably be preferable to keep the newsletter within a post, rather than as an attachment. I can check on how to compose a document offline, and then copy and paste it into a post. Until then, the attachment option is viable, and it seems we have space available. I'm not sure how or where that number gets set, but a simple html file shouldn't be too much of a space hog for now.

Any other insights or solutions you might have on this issue (if any) are most welcome Denny!

Jennifer

I cut and pasted the E-newletter in the text area. The hyperlinks appeared as regular text. But when I went to the preview mode the links were underlined and all worked. The only problem is that they are in black - not another color. I don't know if there is a setting change for this - but it's not a big deal.

ypsi-slim

Very interesting. I had tried entering a link in html and the raw code showed up in the preview. So I was really surprised that your cut & paste worked. I experimented a bit and it seems that the forum software recognizes "HTTP://" and makes the hyperlink. Although I had never noticed it (or thought about it) before, Outlook behaves similarly. Note that by using the forum's "insert link" button, you enter a label for the link that is different from the link itself. You can also do that with BBCode but not with the cut & paste sort of thing.

Maybe this MS Word exercise will show what I'm trying to say:

Click on "Insert" then "Hyperlink".

Type something (ABC) in the "Text to Display" field.

Enter a URL (http://www.americanroadmagazine.com) in the "Web page name" field.

Click "OK"

Insert another hyperlink only leave the "Text to Display" field blank.

In the MS Word document, both hyperlinks are functional but if it is pasted into a forum post, only the one with the blank "Text to Display" remains a useable hyperlink. That is because what is actually being copied is not the link but the "Text to Display". If "Text to Display" is blank, the link is used for display.

I looked into this so I could satisfy my own curiosity. Probably no one else cares. Now, if I could just figure out how the bold stuff work :unsure:

I looked into this so I could satisfy my own curiosity. Probably no one else cares. Now, if I could just figure out how the bold stuff work :unsure:

I care - thanks for posting that Denny!

What bold stuff won't work for you? Bold text?

Jennifer

Most everything works for me and I can even be bold when I want :D . Or at least my text can. The mystery is how does it work in Russell's pasted newsletter. When I cut & paste something from MS Outlook or MS Word, any bold attributes it contains are lost. But bold attributes have survived in the newsletter (e.g., "your Lincoln Highway E-Newsletter") and I don't know how.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not actually sure how Becky does the newsletter. It would probably be preferable to keep the newsletter within a post, rather than as an attachment. I can check on how to compose a document offline, and then copy and paste it into a post. Until then, the attachment option is viable, and it seems we have space available. I'm not sure how or where that number gets set, but a simple html file shouldn't be too much of a space hog for now.

Any other insights or solutions you might have on this issue (if any) are most welcome Denny!

Jennifer

Just replying to the note about how I do the newsletter. First, I compose in MS Word for Mac. Then, I copy and paste. The e-mail version is actually copied and pasted into a special "e-newsletter" feature built into our website (and the technical aspects of it are WAY beyond me).

Not sure if that helps or not. I'm working on a new e-newsletter today -- so, you'll see another version soon.

It looks like there were no "fancy" characters (e.g., bold, italics) in your last newsletter so we don't know how they'd behave. It does have a number of Internet links that work just fine because they start with "http://" and we sort of understand that. The mystery remains how did Ypsi-Slim get those bold characters in his newsletter. I'll be watching next month to see if he can pull it off again.

• 2 months later...
I thought that the "Global Space Left: 19.53mb" comment next to the attachment controls might be a concern. But it shows the same number after Jennifer's post with attachment so maybe it doesn't mean what I thought.

"Global Space Left" refers to the amount of space left for you to upload and post attachments. I have never seen it as a global setting for all members in a particular member group though, so in my opinion, IPS misused the word "global" in this particular case.

The board Administrator decides how much space members of each member group get, and sets it accordingly in the member group settings in the ACP. Once that is done and you start uploading files, your "personal" (as opposed to "global") amount goes down with each file you upload. You can delete old attachments by opening My Controls, then scrolling down to the Options section in the menu on the left and clicking on Manage Your Attachments.

As a general rule, I use Photobucket for misc. images, etc., and I only attach files that are very important. But if you run low on space for attachments, you can recover some space by deleting old attachments. I usually start with attachments that were used in PM's first, as they are the least likely to still be needed.