American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Defining Twenty-Eleven

knightfan26917

Hard to believe TwentyEleven is nearly over. What has characterized this year for you?

For me...

...Blizzard:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1856562576045.2113227.1300282613&type=1&l=80bcdc8ced

...Attending cruise nights on a regular basis for the 1st time in YEARS:

https://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/2011CruiseNights

...Coast-to-Coast road trip:

https://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/CoastToCoastRoadTripFri06242011Mon07112011

...Final meet'n'greets/gatherings posted/promoted:

https://picasaweb.google.com/knightfan26917/2011MeetNGreets02

...driving my MCs less than the previous 2 years:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2118627487504.2132734.1300282613&type=1&l=f7e0236632

...4th open heart surgery, 11/11/2011 (& 11/12/2011) ... POST-SURGERY PARTY TBD:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2636895683885.2152619.1300282613&type=1&l=7f835748ff

...nephew time (hard to believe he is 3 years old)

...deaths of a few relatives and several close friends

...witnessed 2 Chicago team "arch rivals" win respective championships (Green Bay Packers; St Louis Cardinals)

...favorable feedback received during/after my Christmas Eve radio show

...connected w/more friends/family on FB and switched up my "daily themes":

Sunday Bulletin

Monday Madness

Tuesday Twist

Wacky Wednesday

Thursday Query

Friday Philosophy

Saturday Twin Spin/Smorgasbord

...songs (available on YouTube), not all from 2011, but heard on my road trip &/or re-discovered &/or associated with an event:

One Republic ... Good Life

Adele ... Someone Like You

Dan Seals ... You Still Move Me (remembered b/c of Adele's "Someone Like You")

Jake Owen ... Barefoot Blue Jean Night

Sugarland ... Something More

Jim Glaser ... Man In The Mirror

Steve Wariner ... The Weekend

Sawyer Brown ... This Missing You Heart Of Mine

Ronnie Milsap ... Still Losing You

Don Williams ... Old Coyote Town

Bellamy Brothers ... Crazy From The Heart

TG Sheppard ... You're Going Out Of My Mind

Tom Wopat ... A Little Bit Closer

John Schneider ... Take The Long Way Home

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Another year comes to a close" __ Sylvia __ 'Reflections'

Cort,

Wow! Good to see that you weren't buzy this year! :lol:

Just reading the list exhausted me! By the time I had scanned all the photos, I was dizzy.

How do you pack it all in?

(As an aside, I tried to listen to your Christmas eve broadcast but my computer wouldn't accept a plug in required by the station. If my experience isn't isolated, that might be a problem someone should look into.)

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hard to believe TwentyEleven is nearly over. What has characterized this year for you?

In terms of 'roadie' experiences, it was definitely the drive on the historic Columbia River Highway in Oregon (original US30). That lived up to it's reputation!

As far a 2012, I'm hoping to finally do at least a portion of the Natchez Trace this coming summer. I'm planning to be in Memphis in late July, so why not. Probably combine the Trace with part of Dylan's famous "Highway 61". Visited, not "Revisited". B)

Edited by mga707

For me it was a 9,000 mile road trip that included all of Route 66, most of US 101 and all of US 20 coast-to-coast. I also did about a third of the eastern alignment of the Dixie Highway. In the meantime I acquired two more classic cars ( a 1937 Ford Tudor and a 1972 Monte Carlo) making the decision regarding which vehicle to drive on our various jaunts in 2012 a little bit more difficult.

Safe travels in 2012!

Mike

Unlike Denny, Cort, Dale, Mike, and some other regulars here, I was mostly grounded in 2011 caring for a family member. Sheila and I did get away for almost a week, but I haven't told that story here. Perhaps I will, because it spans almost 100 years of road trips. It is partly the story of the very first cross country auto race, and how, if you like, you can stand in the ruts, now filled with pine needles and a few trees. Maybe more of that later.

For now, have a great New Year, one and all.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I guess this was the Year of the Gap. Previous drives between San Diego and Los Angeles were mostly on the expressway so I started the year by driving US-101 from San Diego to Oceanside. In June, I drove the full length of US-36. I suppose that technically didn't fill a gap since the previously undriven part was all on the west end but it did close a gap on the list. On that same trip I filled a few true gaps by driving the Lincoln Highway/Pony Express route around Dugway, Utah, the original Lincoln Highway alignment through Livermore and US-101 from San Francisco to Los Angeles. In August, I covered the eastern Dixie Highway north of Dayton except for the bit through Bad Axe. On my last trip of the year, I closed a Dixie Highway gap between Russellville, KY, and Shelbyville, TN, and threw in a little new-to-me bit of Jackson Highway.

...it was definitely the drive on the historic Columbia River Highway in Oregon...

As far a 2012, I'm hoping to finally do at least a portion of the Natchez Trace... with part of Dylan's famous "Highway 61".

Ain't that HCRH something? I've only driven it once but thought it one of the best drivable attractions I've ever seen.

Although Memphis isn't all that close to the trace (about 100 miles at Tupelo) it can certainly be worked out. I'm guessing that your 61 thoughts include heading south toward Clarksdale for some blues and BBQ. Let us know of your plans as they develop and definitely fill us in on the trip itself.

...all of Route 66, most of US 101 and all of US 20 coast-to-coast. ...about a third of the eastern alignment of the Dixie Highway. ...I acquired two more classic cars ...making the decision regarding which vehicle to drive on our various jaunts in 2012 a little bit more difficult.

That 66-101-20 trip sounds delicious. That's the way to do it. Regarding your tough vehicular decisions, you might be able to talk some forum members into driving one along as backup. <_<

...the story of the very first cross country auto race... Maybe more of that later.

This is a most interesting story and I do hope you present some details as time permits. I'm definitely sorry that I couldn't follow up on your invite to join you.

Wow! Good to see that you weren't buzy this year! :lol:

LOL! Not busy at all, I tell ya.....

Just reading the list exhausted me! By the time I had scanned all the photos, I was dizzy.

How do you pack it all in?

I'm not sure, really. Just try to live as full as I can. Heh ... in some ways, I don't feel like I did much at all this year, if that makes sense.....

(As an aside, I tried to listen to your Christmas eve broadcast but my computer wouldn't accept a plug in required by the station. If my experience isn't isolated, that might be a problem someone should look into.)

I appreciate you noting this, Dave. I've let the station know, as you weren't the only one to experience this, but they tell me that it is not an issue on their end. So, I'm not sure. I do know that this is the first time that several people have told me about this. All other broadcasts (except one ... where NOBODY heard it because of a transmission issue at the station) have been heard by everyone with no issues reported. So, not sure. I do apologize. Hopefully the playlist I posted gave you an idea of what I played....

In terms of 'roadie' experiences, it was definitely the drive on the historic Columbia River Highway in Oregon (original US30). That lived up to it's reputation!

As far a 2012, I'm hoping to finally do at least a portion of the Natchez Trace this coming summer. I'm planning to be in Memphis in late July, so why not. Probably combine the Trace with part of Dylan's famous "Highway 61". Visited, not "Revisited". B)

The Natchez Trace is one that I need to do yet, too. Not sure I'll get to it in 2012, but ya never know, I suppose!

For me it was a 9,000 mile road trip that included all of Route 66, most of US 101 and all of US 20 coast-to-coast.

Since you were on US 20, you drove right through my home town ... Elgin IL. Wish I had known; it'd be great to meet you along your travels. I did a 9,000 mile trip, too, as you can see from the pics in my first post ... just went a few different places than you!

In the meantime I acquired two more classic cars ( a 1937 Ford Tudor and a 1972 Monte Carlo) making the decision regarding which vehicle to drive on our various jaunts in 2012 a little bit more difficult.

*grins*

Not a difficult decision for me ... the 1972 Monte Carlo, of course! :) Do you have any pics of your newly-acquired '72 MC, by chance?

Unlike Denny, Cort, Dale, Mike, and some other regulars here, I was mostly grounded in 2011 caring for a family member. Sheila and I did get away for almost a week, but I haven't told that story here. Perhaps I will, because it spans almost 100 years of road trips. It is partly the story of the very first cross country auto race, and how, if you like, you can stand in the ruts, now filled with pine needles and a few trees. Maybe more of that later.

Sounds like a great story, Dave, when you can. Thoughts/prayers for your family member....

I guess this was the Year of the Gap. Previous drives between San Diego and Los Angeles were mostly on the expressway so I started the year by driving US-101 from San Diego to Oceanside. In June, I drove the full length of US-36. I suppose that technically didn't fill a gap since the previously undriven part was all on the west end but it did close a gap on the list. On that same trip I filled a few true gaps by driving the Lincoln Highway/Pony Express route around Dugway, Utah, the original Lincoln Highway alignment through Livermore and US-101 from San Francisco to Los Angeles. In August, I covered the eastern Dixie Highway north of Dayton except for the bit through Bad Axe. On my last trip of the year, I closed a Dixie Highway gap between Russellville, KY, and Shelbyville, TN, and threw in a little new-to-me bit of Jackson Highway.

Denny ... don't forget your stop in Amarillo TX ... the SAME night I was there on my road trip. "So close, yet so far away" ... dangit! Someday I hope we meet!

2011 IN PICTURES

February Blizzard:

MISCshadows4.jpg

April Meet'n'Greet, including my 1979 Caprice Classic:

115_SpringFlingMnG_04162011_CarBacks.jpg

June-July Road Trip, Oklahoma City OK, rental 2011 Dodge Charger w/3rd gen MC:

11RT198_0701_OK_OKcity_TravisToyotaMichaelMagnumMC11dc.jpg

June-July Road Trip, Medford OR, rental 2011 Dodge Charger w/4th gen MC:

11RT320_0705_OR_DadsSS11dc.jpg

June-July Road Trip, Portland OR, rental 2011 Dodge Charger w/2nd gen MC:

11RT399_0706_OR_Portland_TheVehicles.jpg

June-July Road Trip, Seattle WA, rental 2011 Dodge Charger w/1st gen MC:

11RT435_0706_WA_AdrianFGMC.jpg

June-July Road Trip, Sycamore IL:

11RT687_0711_IL_PlankRdSunset.jpg

July Cruise Nights:

2011cruisNites_0729_09vlgSq.jpg

November Nephew Time:

NephewTime_12062011_1.jpg

December Decorations, w/my 2011 Dodge Charger HW model:

2011_4Dw11DC.jpg

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Can you believe what a year it's been?" __ Savage Garden __ 'I Don't Know You Anymore'

Denny ... don't forget your stop in Amarillo TX ... the SAME night I was there on my road trip. "So close, yet so far away" ... dangit! Someday I hope we meet!

Definitely not forgotten. That's a gap of a different sort that remains unfilled. We'll get it.

*grins*

Not a difficult decision for me ... the 1972 Monte Carlo, of course! :) Do you have any pics of your newly-acquired '72 MC, by chance?

Hi Cort,

I definitely want to meet you on one of my trips, whether in Elgin, along Route 66 or wherever.

I will try to attach a picture of the '72 below. I haven't attached a picture in any posts yet, so if you see it I must have done it right. If not, there must be something wrong with the process! rolleyes.gif

Mike

post-32909-0-63245300-1325624502_thumb.jpg

Definitely not forgotten. That's a gap of a different sort that remains unfilled. We'll get it.

Certainly hope so! I still chuckle when I think of that. For me, one of the best stories of the opposite of that situation ... is meeting Bob Waldmire at Laurel's Afton Station during my Route 66 trip, September 2009. I wanted to meet Bob, but figured I wouldn't, since several people had told me was on his way to IL. So, when Laurel's face suddenly lit up when she looked out the window and announced that Bob had arrived, I was thrilled!

I definitely want to meet you on one of my trips, whether in Elgin, along Route 66 or wherever.

Sounds like a plan, Mike! I'll probably post my TENTATIVE/proposed 2012 road trip in the next couple weeks.

I will try to attach a picture of the '72 below. I haven't attached a picture in any posts yet, so if you see it I must have done it right. If not, there must be something wrong with the process!

Nothing wrong ... saw it perfectly! That is a GORGEOUS '72 MC ... wow. Congratulations!!!!

"All the places I have yet to go" __ Luce __ 'Good Day'

Nothing wrong ... saw it perfectly! That is a GORGEOUS '72 MC ... wow. Congratulations!!!!

"All the places I have yet to go" __ Luce __ 'Good Day'

Thanks Cort! I look forward to seeing your collection too. I loved seeing the pictures of your rental car parked next to the various Monte Carlos you came across. biggrin.gif

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cort! I look forward to seeing your collection too. I loved seeing the pictures of your rental car parked next to the various Monte Carlos you came across. biggrin.gif

You are welcome, Mike!

Anytime in the spring/summer/fall months, once I get 'em out, you are more than welcome to come by for a look!

As for the pics of the Charger with the various MCs, in each one that I posted here, those MCs are owned by friends of mine. :)

"Never knowing where these roads are going" __ Zero Ground __ 'Twenty and Something'