American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Tell Us About Your Camping Habits

beckyrepp

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many times did you go camping this Summer?

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7+
  2. 2. Selecct your method of camping

• Tent
    • Pop-up Camper
    • Truck Camper/Van
    • RV

Greetings. AMERICAN ROAD MAGAZINE staff would like to hear about some of your camping habits. We would also like to hear any topics of specific interest that we might cover in our Road News Page on our website. If you have any suggestions, thoughts, ideas pertaining to topics we might cover related to camping- please post a message in this section.

We appreciate you taking a few moments of your time to respond to this poll!

Best,

Becky Repp

• 6 months later...

We own a 2001 Pontiac Aztek. Now, some of you may think it's ugly, but I'll tell you- it's the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned (even tho it's my wife's). It's a regular Swiss Army Knife on wheels (but without the corkscrew). Our favorite feature, and the one relevant to our discussion, is the add-on tent. You open the tailgate, pop the hatch, and drape the tent right over the back half of the car. Room for two adults plus a small child if you pull the rear seats out (usually you would simoply fold them forward to sleep 2). A tiny "gear tent" holds those rear seats plus our other stuff outside during our stay.

Setup and teardown is a bit of a drawback, taking about 20-30 minutes, depending on whether or not our daughter is sitting quietly or being chased around by one of us. :rolleyes: You can't drive with it on, so for your daily activities it's gotta come down. But sleeping off the ground in a relatively well-sheltered space is a big big plus for us.

Last year we went on 3 camping trips, one of them a long 3-night stay. We usually like to grill simple camping food (dogs, burgers, etc.) when we camp, if there are facilites. I submit that one has not lived until one has eaten Beenie Weenie heated in the can over the fire on the end of a stick! I have a picture! :lol:

Happy camping!

Besides sleeping in a tent in the backyard when I was a kid the last time I went camping was over 7 years ago. It was a motorcycle trip through France. The scenery was wonderful. The camping was not. Crowded fields and tents right next to each other, it was depressing. On one site we were woke each day by a gaggle of ducks that came quacking by promptly at 7. The only redeeming quality was fresh croissants delivered every morning. I'll take a hotel and a breakfast buffet any day!!!