American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Various Bridges From Our Fall Trip

black85vette

Here are a few of the bridges we encountered on our fall trip;

Bridges

The bridge at Catoosa was on RT 66 but the west bound side was recently removed. Molly's Landing, a nearby restaurant bought the main span and had it relocated to their entrance. Two smaller spans have been moved to a park on the opposite side of the Vertgris River, but have not been placed into their final positions yet.

Bowling Green, KY north 185 to Old Richardsville Rd / a single lane, wooden planked bridge built in 1889

Mud River covered bridge Milton, WV near James River Turnpike and Mud River Rd / nice covered bridge from 1875

Only, TN off I-40 at Hwy 50 / no idea as to the date. It was abandoned with no road bed and no ramps.

When we went through Cairo, IL we found that the Hwy 60 bridge from MO to IL was closed for repair, so we took 57 north across the Misissippi then south through Cairo and then crossed into KY over the Ohio River. Found a park at the point where the Ohio and Misissippi join and got shots of the two bridges there.

I obviously have to do more exploring next time I'm in the Bowling Green area. I knew nothing of the Richardson Road Bridge and it's a true classic. The BridgeHunter.com entry has a couple of comments from people who discovered it through a photo on a Jones Soda bottle. There is also a link to a nice article on the bridge and its savior.

I do recall seeing the air bridge in Tennessee but I don't think I ever got pictures.

Did you tour the factory as well as the museum while in Bowling Green?

I obviously have to do more exploring next time I'm in the Bowling Green area. I knew nothing of the Richardson Road Bridge and it's a true classic. The BridgeHunter.com entry has a couple of comments from people who discovered it through a photo on a Jones Soda bottle. There is also a link to a nice article on the bridge and its savior.

I do recall seeing the air bridge in Tennessee but I don't think I ever got pictures.

Did you tour the factory as well as the museum while in Bowling Green?

Thanks for the link. Interesting to know about who is keeping it up. We heard about it from the clerk at the motel who just gave us a general idea of where it was and then we had to search around a bit on the map to locate it.

Yes we did tour both the factory and museum. We had been wanting to do that for a number of years and this was a good opportunity.

I recently shot some pictures of another bridge. The RT 66 bridge at Lake Overholser just finished a 2 yr renovation and reopened to traffic. We were so pleased that they saved this historic bridge and did such a good job with it.

Here is the link to those shots: Lake Overholser

I ought to complile and post my RT 66 bridge photos. I have some that are well off the main road and one that dates to about 1914.

Thanks for the bridge shots, and I look forward to the compilation.

I followed Denny's link. Spending $175,000 of your own money to restore a bridge more than boggles my mind. The fellow says it brings him a lot of pleasure. I hope he is euphoric for that price!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road.