American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lhw In Basin And Range

Dear Members,

I just completed a 1500 mile roundtrip exploring and photographing the remains of the 1913 LHW in Nevada and western Utah.

You'd find the first two chapters here: LHW in Basin and Range

It was a great adventure, taking my two-wheel-drive van in places it was never meant to go. Please subscribe to the blog and I hope you enjoy it.

Grover

img_0016.jpg?w=225&h=300

Dear Members,

I just completed a 1500 mile roundtrip exploring and photographing the remains of the 1913 LHW in Nevada and western Utah.

You'd find the first two chapters here: LHW in Basin and Range

It was a great adventure, taking my two-wheel-drive van in places it was never meant to go. Please subscribe to the blog and I hope you enjoy it.

Grover

img_0016.jpg?w=225&h=300

Cleveland G -

Just took a look at your blog and this already is shaping up to be very entertaining and informative. It is my intent to do something similar next spring following, as accurately as possible, the actual, on the ground route of New York-Paris through Wyoming, my home state of Utah, and Nevada. Will be waiting for the next installment.

Bob.

1319914229[/url]' post='16499']

Cleveland G -

Just took a look at your blog and this already is shaping up to be very entertaining and informative. It is my intent to do something similar next spring following, as accurately as possible, the actual, on the ground route of New York-Paris through Wyoming, my home state of Utah, and Nevada. Will be waiting for the next installment.

Bob.

This was a most interesting adventure. I'll be going back in the spring to build on photographic portfolio. I'm glad you are liking it thus far

Next chapter: Reno's 4th Street.

Grover

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow Lincoln Highway fans,

The latest post bring the Lincoln Highway blog up to Frenchman Station in the Dixie Valley:

http://sierratravele...frenchman-flat/

After that it's on to Middlegate and the recently deceased Shoe Tree.

Grover

Edited by Cleveland G

Fellow Lincoln Highway enthusiasts,

Chapter Seven - Middlegate Station is now up on the blog sierratraveler.wordpress.com with information about all the "gates" in the area.

post-25011-0-10302700-1321466747_thumb.jpg

Grover

People have asked about how I managed to get the aerial photos. I carry with me a remote control airplane and/or helicopter with a Canon A480 camera mounted on it.

Using a piece of software called CHDK I set the camera to take a photo every few seconds and then I pick the "keepers" from the hundreds of shots obtained.

Edited by Cleveland G

Fellow Lincoln Highway enthusiasts,

Chapter Seven - Middlegate Station is now up on the blog sierratraveler.wordpress.com with information about all the "gates" in the area.

Middlegate Aerial 3 reduced.jpg

Grover

People have asked about how I managed to get the aerial photos. I carry with me a remote control airplane and/or helicopter with a Canon A480 camera mounted on it.

Using a piece of software called CHDK I set the camera to take a photo every few seconds and then I pick the "keepers" from the hundreds of shots obtained.

Grover

I am in awe! How much skill and practice does it take to fly a remote control helicopter?

What a kick!! Just when I thought I had seen it all.

And by the way the image is great!! What a tool!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

1321494265[/url]' post='16563']

Grover

I am in awe! How much skill and practice does it take to fly a remote control helicopter?

What a kick!! Just when I thought I had seen it all.

And by the way the image is great!! What a tool!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave,

It is great way to get a fresh perspective.

I normally use the plane as seen here:

http://www.electricflights.com/hawkeyemainpage.html

Sometimes I use a quadcopter - Google "quadcopter" or "Gaui" which takes a bit of learning.

Grover

Edited by Cleveland G

Dave,

It is great way to get a fresh perspective.

I normally use the plane as seen here:

http://www.electricflights.com/hawkeyemainpage.html

Sometimes I use a quadcopter - Google "quadcopter" or "Gaui" which takes a bit of learning.

Grover

I bet climbing out of your Model T to fly a remote control airplane gives you a fresh perspective, too.

Could there be some aerial shots in KtSotR's future posts?

Could there be some aerial shots in KtSotR's future posts?

I looked at the sites Grover suggested. They just keep creating neat stuff for big kids, like me. However, I concluded that the cost benefit for me isn't there yet. My practice site is over a lake surrounded by big fur trees and homes. Unless I move to the desert, I can almost be certain that my camera and copter/plane will end up, sooner or later, under water, hung up in a tree, or through someone's picture window.

And I concluded that it takes skill and patience, plus a willingness to spend some heavy change. The photos are great, and definitely a different view, but my gut tells me that the desert is the best place to use it, and the northwest is no desert.

For now, I will just enjoy Grover's photos....you know, why keep the bees when you get the honey free ;) ?

Dave

I looked at the sites Grover suggested. They just keep creating neat stuff for big kids, like me. However, I concluded that the cost benefit for me isn't there yet. My practice site is over a lake surrounded by big fur trees and homes. Unless I move to the desert, I can almost be certain that my camera and copter/plane will end up, sooner or later, under water, hung up in a tree, or through someone's picture window.

And I concluded that it takes skill and patience, plus a willingness to spend some heavy change. The photos are great, and definitely a different view, but my gut tells me that the desert is the best place to use it, and the northwest is no desert.

For now, I will just enjoy Grover's photos....you know, why keep the bees when you get the honey free ;) ?

Dave

Trees, rocks - I've done it all. Once I lost the copter and then when I sent the plane out to find it (live video feed from the plane) I lost the plane too! I had a friend fly over in his full size helicopter and it was found quickly.

and
will scare you.

Nonetheless these little goodies are a great way to get the shots you need.

Grover

Trees, rocks - I've done it all. Once I lost the copter and then when I sent the plane out to find it (live video feed from the plane) I lost the plane too! I had a friend fly over in his full size helicopter and it was found quickly.

and
will scare you.

Nonetheless these little goodies are a great way to get the shots you need.

Grover

Great! Great! The Hawkeye and the rock left me laughing till tears came to my eyes! Not at the bad luck, but at the notion of one rock and one crash. I suppose it would have been worse if it hit the RV or the guy in red (was that you?)

I confess that those aerial shots are nothing short of terrific, but Nevada isn't the land of tall trees and lakes. I wouldn't enjoy seeing my $300+ plane and $300 + camera go for a swim or "land" 100 ft in the air.

The second video, which I just viewed, where the tree ate the copter, looks more like what my experience would probably be, except the 20' irrigation pipe would have to be applied at the top rung of a 100' ladder! The best shot there was when the copter got a brief shot of you on the ground holding the pipe!

I'll just have to settle for viewing your footage. Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Folks,

I just completed a revision of

The Lincoln Highway in Basin and Range – Chapter Eight – Austin

now with new photographs and information.

Grover

Model T - half the speed, twice the fun.

Folks,

I just completed a revision of

The Lincoln Highway in Basin and Range – Chapter Eight – Austin

now with new photographs and information.

Grover

Grover,

The whole write up is downright great.....and almost a little depressing....what's left to describe? B) A splendid job!! It is the quality I always wish I would do, but never manage.

I think the aerial shot of the Sand Springs PE station is one of a kind. I sure have never seen it from that view.

Dave

Model T - half the speed, twice the fun.