American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!
Alex Burr - hester_nec

The Long Ride - 23 States In 22 Days In A '51 Hudson

I have been a member of the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane (car) Club for a bit over 40 years. During that time I have made many friends and each year, if I can afford it, I make our club's national meets.

Among my many friends is Charles B. Woodruff. Charley is retired Army and currently works as a librarian in Seoul, Korea - he married a Korean girl years ago. He has made just about every national meet in the past 25 years or so - and has driven to nearly all of them in a 1951 Hudson Super Six from Binghamton, NY.

In 2010 our club's national meet was held in Spokane, WA. Charley, of course, drove his '51 on a road trip that makes most of the trips chronicled on American Road forums look like a trip to the local grocery store. The title itself tells the story - "The Long Ride - 23 States in 22 Days in a 1951 Hudson". As Charley says on the front cover "...to be young once again, running free on the open road in the West just one more time!"

I highly recommend this 191 page soft cover book for any roadies book shelf. His ad in our club magazine says it all ---- "The Long Ride: 23 States in 22 Days in a 1951 Hudson" chronicles adventures on the road to and from the Spokane National Meet in 2010 as I complete my goal of driving the Hudson in every one of the lower 48 States. Includes thoughts on growing older, changing times, and much more.

The book is $24 (well worth the price) postpaid - order from:

Charles B. Woodruff

DoDDS-K, Unit 14459

Box 141

APO AP 96205

For more info, if needed, contact Charley at cbwoodruff@hotmail.com

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

An up date on Charley's book - he's dropped the price to $19.

He says a couple of people have expressed interest - thank's everybody.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

An up date on Charley's book - he's dropped the price to $19.

He says a couple of people have expressed interest - thank's everybody.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

The check's in the mail.

I had emailed Charlie to see if he had a PayPal account (he doesn't) and he responded with the $19 price. I don't think I realized it was a price drop but, luckily, I wrote the check while looking at his email rather than this post.

I just got a note from Charley pointing out an error in the address posted in my review. I got that as a copy & paste so the same correction is required here. The correct Unit number is 15549 not 14459. Corrected address:

Charles B. Woodruff

DoDDS-K, Unit 15549

Box 141

APO AP 96205