American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Route 66 In North Lawndale: A Journey Through History

Hi folks:

I just wanted to let everyone know about an upcoming exhibition and related events which have a Route 66 connection.

As part of this event, I will be presenting a Lunchtime Program on September 27th from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the Chicago Architecture Foundation, at Jackson Blvd. and Michigan Avenue in Chicago. My talk will be titled "Route 66 in North Lawndale: A Journey through History."

North Lawndale is the Chicago community that 66 traverses on the west side of the city, from Western Avenue to the suburb of Cicero. The exhibition that is the center of all the programs is titled "Learning from North Lawndale." In my talk, I'll trace the history of this stretch of highway, which was a Native American trail, Cook County's first public highway, a toll plank road, and park boulevard before being utilized as part of our beloved Mother Road.

More information about the North Lawndale exhibition is available at:

http://www.architecture.org/exhibitions.html#lawndale

Most of the events and programs, including my September 27th talk, are free and open to the public.

North Lawndale has a fascinating history, and was home at one time or another to Golda Meir, Benny Goodman, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Regards,

Dave Clark

Windy City Road Warrior

http://www.windycityroadwarrior.com

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you here! I added your listing to the American Road events calendar too...but it's not visible right now, so I need to ask Becky about the functionality. If you have any other events that you are doing, I encourage you to add them to the calendar, for a wider audience than just forum members.

American Road Calendar

Jennifer