American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Frenchman Station, Nevada

According to Gregory Franzwa, the Navy demolished the building there in 1984. As he often does, Franzwa gives directions as incremental odometer readings and I'm not entirely sure I've deciphered this set completely. But his last instructions are to "drive back east for exactly 2.6 miles" from an unnamed "paved highway" that I think is probably NV-31. The coordinates I get by driving my mouse along a DeLorme version of US-50 are N39° 16.7953' W118° 15.7286'. DeLorme labels a spot approximately 2500 feet west of there as Frenchman.

When Dale S shows up, he can probably give you the real truth without all this book stuff but Franzwa and DeLorme are the best I can do.

Are there any remains of Frenchman Station?

Can someone provide lat/lon for the location?

Thanks

Grover

Grover,

Frenchman's has a few remaining relics, but not many. When I was last there I found a few auto parts and this standpipe and frame. There were also some standing twisted pipes.

I'll see if I can get coordinates for you. As I recall there is a wide place on the right (going east) where the station was, and on the left (north side) of the road there is a pony express marker.

FrenchmanRelic.jpg

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

PS Try N39.278875, W118.271252 which I assume is what Denny provided.

Dave

Those numbers looks like where it is me.

It used to be a good drinking place, my friends would talk to the navy pilots there.

Dale

PS Try N39.278875, W118.271252 which I assume is what Denny provided.

Dave

Those coordinates are actually a bit west of the ones I posted and quite close to the DeLorme label although the DeLorme label is clearly on the wrong side of the road. There's about 2200 feet between mine and DeLorme's (I rounded earlier) and another 300 between DeLorme's and Dave's. I recommend Dave's.

Grover, about the only place to stop between Fallon & Austin is Middlegate. They have gas, bar, camping and all that stuff.

The shoe tree is between there and to turn off for old hwy 50, SR 722.

Dale