American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Looking To Borrow A Vintage Camper

Dave Reese

Hey gang...

Does anyone have a lead on someone who might be willing to loan a camper from somewhere between 1930 and 1965 to America On Wheels Museum? Our galleries are filled with items that are loaned to us so that the displays are constantly changing. We currently have a 1935 Chevy Suburban, Chassis #1, in our vacation display. It should not be the Long, Long Trailer, but more of a small unit that could be displayed with an open door so people could see inside from behind the barriers. If we find the right unit, we would hope to borrow it for a minimum of 6 months, but that would be negotiated between the museum and the owner. The display in the "Are We There Yet" includes a 1940's vintage Columbia bicycle, a 1950's vintage tricycle, a portable cook stove, and two mannequins loading Samsonite luggage into their 1957 Chevrolet Station Wagon.

Any and all leads will be greatly appreciated. I know that Pat Bremer has been trying to find a fitting unit for me, but I felt there were others here who also may be able to help me with this quest. And if we can't find a small trailer, we are looking for a 1960's VW Camper.

Thanks for your help.