American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Hot Creek Hotel

DaleS

Went to the Hot Creek Ranch and took pictures of the Hotel that is listed in thee Midland Trail Tour Book. I didn't see any one around and didn't get a tour of

the hotel as a web page on ghost towns said a person got to do 10 years ago.

HotCreek1.jpg

A view of the back of the hotel:

HotCreek2.jpg

An old building close by:

HotCreek4.jpg

About a mile before the Hot Creek Hotel I saw this Golden Eagle, it was a long ways from the road using a 400 mm lens:

Eagle1.jpg

Then it flew away:

Eagle2.jpg

That is all for now, Dale

Went to the Hot Creek Ranch and took pictures of the Hotel that is listed in thee Midland Trail Tour Book. I didn't see any one around and didn't get a tour of

the hotel as a web page on ghost towns said a person got to do 10 years ago.

HotCreek1.jpg

A view of the back of the hotel:

HotCreek2.jpg

An old building close by:

HotCreek4.jpg

About a mile before the Hot Creek Hotel I saw this Golden Eagle, it was a long ways from the road using a 400 mm lens:

Eagle1.jpg

Then it flew away:

Eagle2.jpg

That is all for now, Dale

Dale,

The photos of the Hot Creek Hotel are much appreciated! You no doubt know the history, but not everyone here does. The Hot Creek Hotel is actually the second by that name there. It was built in 1878 and replaced one built in 1875. It included a dance hall and bath house.

The hotel served the mining town of the same name. It was a landmark along the old Midland Trail, but by that time (ca 1916) the town was largely a ghost. Founded in 1866-67, it started to decline shortly after. It is obvious from Dale's photo that the owners give the old hotel a lot of loving care.

There are charcoal kilns nearby, which Dale may have seen.

Dave

keep the Show on the Road!

No Dave, we didn't see charcoal kilns or much else of an old town. I drove up to Upper Hot Creek Ranch before turning around and

going back around the ranch to the east and to Hwy 6 that way. I came into Hot Creek Ranch from the Tybo road.

This was written ten years ago:

http://www.robertwynn.com/HotCreek.htm

BTW, Tybo is an active mine now and there are Keep Out signs now.

Dale

Dale,

EXCELLENT pics! Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The years go by and time just seems to fly, but the memories remain" __ Daughtry __ 'September'

I'd never even heard of Hot Creek Ranch but I sure liked the pictures. Guess I'll have to look deeper into the Midland Trail someday.

Hey Denny,

The Hot Creek Ranch Hotel is where the fellow who wrote the Midland Trail Tour Guide stayed between Currant (or Ely) and Tonopah, NV.

The Hot Creek Ranch is about 10 to 15 miles north of Hwy 6.

Not much in the Midland Tour Guide on Nevada, 4 pages going west and 2 pages going east.

Dale

I've sorted out where you are. DeLorme actually has Hot Creek Ranch listed as a "man made landmark". By coincidence, the latest issue of the Lincoln Highway Association magazine, the Forum, arrived today with and article about the Tioga Pass on the Midland Trail which looks to be a hundred miles or so west of where you are currently. You mention that the guide writer stayed at the hotel. I see the hotel described in the guide but didn't see mention of a stay. Is this documented elsewhere or did I just overlook it?

Hey Denny, I just saw the bold letters for Hot Creek Hotel and thought he stayed there. Places he may have drove by were not bold. I don't know

how many miles a day you could drive back then. My dad told me in 1922 they would have at least four flat tires a day.

There at least were four routes after you entered California on the Midland Trail. Tioga Pass doesn't open until June NOW! only a summer only route.

Now I am in Southeast Nevada near Pioche, heading south for the winter. It was getting cold (for us) along Hwy 6 as we moved east. Saw frost from sprinklers going to Ely. Nice country to visit some day.

Dale