American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Yachats And Newport On Us 101, Oregon Coast

ARAdobeShoreW.jpg

Sheila and I visited the Oregon Coast last weekend. Halfway down US 101, the little seaside village of Yachats is a favorite of ours. I didn't plan to post the trip, but I decided there may be some interest, so I prepared a PDF file using InDesign, which I may use in the future because it is a simple way to tell a story in text and pictures.

A double click on the link should bring up the story and pictures, in Acrobat Reader.

US 101 Oregon Coast

I well remember my one night at the Adobe three years ago. That was also in August and, besides a great room and meal, I got to watch a couple of whales swimming by before I left in the morning. The recommendation was appreciated then and the reminder is appreciated now.

I well remember my one night at the Adobe three years ago. That was also in August and, besides a great room and meal, I got to watch a couple of whales swimming by before I left in the morning. The recommendation was appreciated then and the reminder is appreciated now.

Denny,

Thanks for the come back and the recollection. I wish we had seen some whales. Maybe next time.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I love the Oregon coast! Thanks for sharing.

:)

Did you have a chance to eat at the original Mo's in Newport? They have awesome chowder. Nothing beats their chowder on a cool Autumn day... I can almost taste it now...

Becky,

Mo's was full up (as it often is) and the waiting line exceeded my limit. It was a very busy weekend. We have eaten there several times before. We like the annex (see photo) because it has a water view.

Thanks for the comment, and best wishes!

Dave

Wow. I've never seen the Oregon coast before. Very nice, and what a nice writeup, Dave. -Jim

Thanks Jim, especially for the comment on the write up. I'm getting a little "jaded" after four years of posting snippets here. I have to modify my approach because I am getting "been there, done that" syndrome.

Posting in story form provides a bit of variety, and a minor challenge learning a small amount about page layout software (InDesign). Gotta keep adding to the skill set in case I have to go back to work at 75! ;)

BTW, I'm curious. Did the photo in the post add to your interest to choose to follow the link? My guess is that it would, but I'm curious for future posts.

Dave

Yes, the photo absolutely caused me to click the link. I might or might not have if the photo hadn't drawn me in.

As you might have noticed, my writeups here have fallen off, too, simply because the forum software is so unfriendly for the longer-form stuff. I've taken to writing up my road trips on my blog, jimgrey.wordpress.com. It's not page layout software, but it is optimized for writing and sharing photos online.

-Jim

ARAdobeShoreW.jpg

Sheila and I visited the Oregon Coast last weekend. Halfway down US 101, the little seaside village of Yachats is a favorite of ours. I didn't plan to post the trip, but I decided there may be some interest, so I prepared a PDF file using InDesign, which I may use in the future because it is a simple way to tell a story in text and pictures.

A double click on the link should bring up the story and pictures, in Acrobat Reader.

US 101 Oregon Coast

Dave, I always thought the Oregon coast was prettier tha California's. Long time since I have been there.

You kind of unlucky with the weather. I was at Bodega Bay (50 miles north of San Francisco) ocean fishing Aug 14-20 and the weather was fine. That

storm must have just hit where you were.

Dale

Dave,

Love the write-up and the pics!!!

Did you, by chance, see or eat at the Bliss Diner? I saw it exactly 2 months ago TODAY (5th of September) on July 5, 2011. One of the pics I took:

11RT341_0705_OR_Florence_US101_BlissDiner.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm in no hurry" __ Citizen King __ 'Better Days'

Dave,

Love the write-up and the pics!!!

Did you, by chance, see or eat at the Bliss Diner? I saw it exactly 2 months ago TODAY (5th of September) on July 5, 2011. One of the pics I took:

11RT341_0705_OR_Florence_US101_BlissDiner.jpg

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm in no hurry" __ Citizen King __ 'Better Days'

Cort,

No, I missed what looks like a great stop. Happily we get down there every so often. Do you recall the location?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

It IS an awesome place. I took a few more pics of it that evening. It is in Florence OR on US 101 just north of the intersection with SR 126. Hope that helps! :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

"A melody can bring back a memory take you to another place in time" __ Clint Black __ 'State Of Mind'

Dave,

It IS an awesome place. I took a few more pics of it that evening. It is in Florence OR on US 101 just north of the intersection with SR 126. Hope that helps! :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

"A melody can bring back a memory take you to another place in time" __ Clint Black __ 'State Of Mind'

Cort,

Yap, that helps. Florence is the next town south of Yachats. Coming from the north to get to Yachats, we didn't pass through Florence. Next time we are down that way, we will add a drive south.

Dave

PS. Good luck tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Pig'N'Pancake! They have at least four locations between (I think) Newport and Astoria. Unfortunately, on this summer's Oregon trip we did not get to eat there, as the day we hit the coast was also (unknown to us) the day of the annual Mt. Hood to Seaside relay race. The coastal towns--and the P'N'Ps in both Astoria and Seaside--were absolutely mobbed with runners who had just finished the race. We did finally find another local restaurant in Seaside that was not as crowded, and our breakfast/lunch WAS tssty, but I was SO jonesin' for a Pig'N'Pancake experience!

Yap, that helps. Florence is the next town south of Yachats. Coming from the north to get to Yachats, we didn't pass through Florence. Next time we are down that way, we will add a drive south.

Cool ... glad that helps, Dave. I didn't make it up to Yachats, as I headed east out of Florence back to I-5 to get to Lebanon OR that evening to spend time with a cousin and her best friend.

And, thanks ... appointment didn't happen; it is now scheduled for THIS Thursday. :(

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You really think you're in control?" __ Gnarls Barkley __ 'Crazy'