American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Outer Banks, The Albuquerque, Nm.

Dave Reese

Although I am driving from Allentown PA to Rodanthe, NC, this is not really a road trip in the normal sense as we are planning one stop overnight on the way south, and have not decided the return route yet. I am heading using the Chesapeake Tunnel/Bridge route south with a hotel stay overnight. What I really hope to find from this group is a number of restaurants to try in OBX, as well as some interesting places to visit around Rodanthe besides the obvious Kitty Hawk and The Lost Colony, plus an overnight suggestion for the northern trip.

After 36 hours at home we will fly to Albuquerque hoping our son is still in training at Kirtland AFB. If he is, we will not be needing as many day trips, but if he has returned to Okinawa by the time we arrive, we will want a number of day trips as we are booked for a week in the Nativo Lodge. We have been to Sante Fe, Tinkertown, El Malpais, the Unser Museum, Old Town, Madrid, Sandia Tramway, and the petrogylph site in the past. I wonder if anyone has information on the Wild Wolf Sanctuary which is west of Albuquerque, or other reasonable suggestions in the area. We are also always on the lookout for new places to dine, but we are not adventurous eaters of spice food.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

The Outer Banks vacation is over. We found a number of wonderful places to eat including Big's Place in Exmore, VA and Oceana's Bistro and the Mad Crabber, both in Avon, NC. You can find photos from our trip at Flickr or the slide show below.

Edited by Dave Reese

Glad you found some things to see. I couldn't help at all with the Outer Banks and the only thing I wanted to recommend in Albuquerque is Tinkertown which you've already seen.

I especially enjoyed the then and now picture between at the earthworks. Looks like that path has seen some traffic over the years. There are three Futuro homes (space ship) near Cincinnati. Wikipedia estimates that there are about 50 left.

Sorry I couldn't help with your planning but that won't keep me from asking for help with mine. What days will your New Mexico trip keep you from AoW?

Dave,

I enjoyed the slide show and the then and now. The mounds on each side have shrunk, or so it seems.

I like the slide show. Is it practical to add sound or to easily insert captions? We were on the Oregon Coast this last weekend and I took a few photos. Maybe I'll get ambitious and follow your lead.

In any event, thanks for sharing!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

I am glad you liked the photos. When we get home the middle of next week I will try to write up a bit about the Outer Banks in my Blog, as well as do a photo show about our trip to New Mexico.

As to the slide show, it happened when I put the link to the photos in the body of the text. I then also added the clickable link so you could see the photos individually with captions.

And now I am learning how to post here on the iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

The New Mexico trip is sadly over although it is great to be home. We missed the earthquake which occurred as we waited in the Albuquerque Sunport (Airport), but we are back in time for Hurricane Irene to graze us this weekend. I have posted some photos of the trip on Flickr.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a writer like many of the members here, but I have started the write-up of our two summer trips at my Blog. The first part just gets us to Rodanthe, NC, and does not cover what we did and enjoyed in the Outer Banks before Hurricane Irene caused so much damage there. The house we rented was about 1/4 mile south of the area where the Atlantic now meets the Sound in the north end of the town. I have no idea if our rental survived as of yet, but I know that the island is still officially "evacuated" meaning that no renters are enjoying vacations until at least September 17. Here is a photo of the break in the island and Route 12 near our rental. This photo looks south with the Atlantic on the right hand side.

I am not a writer like many of the members here, but I have started the write-up of our two summer trips at my Blog. The first part just gets us to Rodanthe, NC, and does not cover what we did and enjoyed in the Outer Banks before Hurricane Irene caused so much damage there. The house we rented was about 1/4 mile south of the area where the Atlantic now meets the Sound in the north end of the town. I have no idea if our rental survived as of yet, but I know that the island is still officially "evacuated" meaning that no renters are enjoying vacations until at least September 17. Here is a photo of the break in the island and Route 12 near our rental. This photo looks south with the Atlantic on the right hand side.

Dave,

I enjoyed your write up, and it provided valuable information for anyone planning a trip to that area.

I did wish that the photos were bigger when I clicked on them. Your photography is great and deserves more than an inch and a half enlargement.

I was interested in your comments about Kitty Hawk. Of course 50 plus years is time enough for lots of changes. I feel the same way about places on the Oregon and Northern California Coast. Once charming fishing villages are now mini Disneyland's. But I tell myself, if I were trying to make a living, it wouldn't be at fishing. And who is to say that when my grandkids revisit the coast in 2061 they won't reminisce fondly about what I consider touristy!!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

I did wish that the photos were bigger when I clicked on them. Your photography is great and deserves more than an inch and a half enlargement.

I was interested in your comments about Kitty Hawk. Of course 50 plus years is time enough for lots of changes. I feel the same way about places on the Oregon and Northern California Coast. Once charming fishing villages are now mini Disneyland's. But I tell myself, if I were trying to make a living, it wouldn't be at fishing. And who is to say that when my grandkids revisit the coast in 2061 they won't reminisce fondly about what I consider touristy!!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Thanks Dave,

All of these photos are also in the full Flickr slide show, so I hope you can see them there again if you are interested in any of those. And I am sure that there are many who prefer the new Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills. It is easier to find a gas station and restaurant without a delay for seating than it is in the less developed parts of OBX. And I actually wished we had a decent Mini-Golf course between Rodanthe and Cape Hatteras as I love to lose to Peg at these places. But I am glad that much of Hatteras is preserved with less activity to allow beach time and fishing charters fill much of the slow paced time when traveling there. As always, thanks for the inputs and commentary. It is always great to hear from another wise Dave.

Hey Dave,

I liked your write-up ... and thoroughly enjoyed your pictures! Sorry I couldn't help with the planning either, but glad that you had a good time. :)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Can't help but think of yesterday" __ George Michael __ 'Faith'