American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Planning Road Trip To Hall Of Fames And New York State - Need Suggestions For Points Of Intrerest In New York

Edward

Hello

My buddy Larry and I are getting ready for our two for the road adventure 2011. This year we are heading to the northeast after seven years of trips out in the western united states. Our current plans are to leave Indianapolis in his restrorod 57 chevy (57 body on a c5 frame and drivetrain) and drive two lane roads includeing highway 3 in ohio to the Pro Football hall of fame in Akron, then on to the RocknRoll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, a stop by Ralphies house and museum from Christmas Story in Cleveland, then up to Niagara Falls, then down to Watkins Glen to walk the old race track the day after the Nascar race there, then spend more time in the fingerlakes area, then over to cooperstown to the baseball hall of fame, then into the adirondack mountains for a few days of hiking and staying in cabinsm then back to alexandria bay to visit the wooden ship museums, over into quebec to visit the site of one of my favorite TV shows "Dream Car Garage", then back down along lake erie to Detroit to participate in the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise then back to Indiancpolis.

My question.... does anybody have other points of interest, hotels, hikes, anything else that you wold clasify as a must see in this general area. All ideas are greatly appreciated. The motto of our trips is: "Make Plans..... But Hold Them Loosely!"

Thanks

Ed Koschka

Ed,

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary. I can only really make mention for Alexandria Bay. We loved Hills Motor Court, although I believe the owners when I was there about 4 years ago have sold the place. You can see some of my photos of the hotel and the rest of our Alexandria Bay visit at Flickr. I hope this helps your planning.

As Dave says, that's a wonderful itinerary. You must be leaving any minute in order to get it all in and still make the Dream Cruise. :D I know you'll have a blast on Woodward.

As I'm sure you know, the NFL HoF is actually in Canton which is also home to Canton Classic Car Museum and Motorcar Portfolio. They're within a block of each other and might interest a couple of car guys. I'm curious about where you'll be picking up OH-3 and why you chose it. It's more or less the old 3C Highway so has some history but doesn't quite go to either Canton or Akron.

As Dave says, that's a wonderful itinerary. You must be leaving any minute in order to get it all in and still make the Dream Cruise. :D I know you'll have a blast on Woodward.

As I'm sure you know, the NFL HoF is actually in Canton which is also home to Canton Classic Car Museum and Motorcar Portfolio. They're within a block of each other and might interest a couple of car guys. I'm curious about where you'll be picking up OH-3 and why you chose it. It's more or less the old 3C Highway so has some history but doesn't quite go to either Canton or Akron.

Denny

Thanks for the suggestions for canton Ohio. We will definitely check these out. Regarding oh-3, Larry read about this route in American road a few years back as the route from cincinatti to Columbus. We are choosing to pick it up north of Columbus rather than drive to cincinatti and drive up from there. I do not have this issue of American road to do any research. Please let us know if it is worthwhile to drive to cincinatti. We are leaving Indianapolis and taking us-36 to oh-3 then up to canton

Ed Koschka

Denny

Thanks for the suggestions for canton Ohio. We will definitely check these out. Regarding oh-3, Larry read about this route in American road a few years back as the route from cincinatti to Columbus. We are choosing to pick it up north of Columbus rather than drive to cincinatti and drive up from there. I do not have this issue of American road to do any research. Please let us know if it is worthwhile to drive to cincinatti. We are leaving Indianapolis and taking us-36 to oh-3 then up to canton

Ed Koschka

It's ALWAYS worthwhile to drive to Cincinnati :) ... but you guys are close enough to do it another day. Holler when you do and I'll share a pointer or two. For this trip, I think driving US 36 is a fine idea. I had a good time doing it in June. If timing works out, you might try Crabill's Hamburgers in Urbana. It's a Hamburger America Top 100 and right on Thirty-Six.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ed,

There are so many great places to visit where you are traveling! If you travel through London, Ontario on your way from Quebec to Detroit and happen to stay the night in the area you might want to pay a visit to the Mustang Drive-in theatre (in the Summer issue of American Road).

We'll look forward to hearing all about your travels!

Best,

Becky