American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gas Prices

roadmaven

Hopefully I don't jinx things, but how about the tumbling gas prices?? I saw a Speedway station on the way home with a price of $2.39/gallon for regular unleaded. First time I've seen it that low since last winter. As someone who's heading on a roadtrip this weekend, I can't be more happy. Fall is not only may favorite season to drive because of the weather, but also for cheaper petrol prices.

So, this brings up the question: What are gas prices in your neck-of-the-woods??

Hopefully I don't jinx things, but how about the tumbling gas prices?? I saw a Speedway station on the way home with a price of $2.39/gallon for regular unleaded. First time I've seen it that low since last winter. As someone who's heading on a roadtrip this weekend, I can't be more happy. Fall is not only may favorite season to drive because of the weather, but also for cheaper petrol prices.

So, this brings up the question: What are gas prices in your neck-of-the-woods??

In Kennebunk, ME, at the moment it runs about (rounded off) $2.90/$2.99/$3.06 - move north about 5 miles to the next town up the line and take off about 5 to 7 cents a gallon. Kennebunk is considered a "rich" town to most people (not ALL of us), including the oil companies, so we generally pay 7 to 10 cents a gallon higher here than surrounding towns. At one point, for about 3 days a couple weeks back, we were paying as much a 13 cents a gallon higher here in town - was worth driving 10 miles, up and back, to the next town.

I just hope it gets down to the $2.25 area by the time I get ready to go to Memphis in Dec.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Edited by hester_nec

Regular is around $2.40-$2.50 in the Cincinnati area. Over Labor Day, I saw two stations (Portsmouth, Chillicothe?) at $2.33. It's kind of scary that we now have fond memories of the days of two dollar gas but promising that some predict we'll be back to that price by Thanksgiving.

The Lehigh Valley has made it down to just under $2.50 as the best prices, but most are still between $2.50 and $2.60. But that is almost a 10 cent drop this week. So road trips should be good right now...

I live in London Ohio which almost always has the cheapest gas around, usually even lower than Columbus. People drive 20 miles to come to London to fill up their tanks. Yesterday it was $2.23 and is probably lower today.

The last I saw here in Indy was $2.35 yesterday, not too much less than Pat reported Tuesday. But according to IndyGasPrices.com, it's $2.28 in some places as of this morning.

Jennifer

• 8 months later...
The last I saw here in Indy was $2.35 yesterday, not too much less than Pat reported Tuesday. But according to IndyGasPrices.com, it's $2.28 in some places as of this morning.

Jennifer

Gees, here we are 8 months later and the price is $3.58. That is over a 50% increase!! This is as a result of "increased demand" as some would like us to believe? I wish you other guys would stop driving so much!

How can I Keep the Show on the Road?

Hey - wait a minute . . . in one of your previous posts you explained how gas prices are actually not so bad compared to gas prices in 1913 along the Lincoln Highway. (Just needed to tease you a bit).

I know prices are definitely higher than we'd like. Unfortunately, it's beyond me on how to solve that issue, but, you might want to take a look at the suggestions on our Road News page on ways to save money. And, now, I ask everyone on the AMERICAN ROAD® FORUM - what money saving travel tips do YOU use?

Look forward to hearing from everyone so that we can all Keep the Show on the Road!

:D

Becky

Gees, here we are 8 months later and the price is $3.58. That is over a 50% increase!! This is as a result of "increased demand" as some would like us to believe? I wish you other guys would stop driving so much!

How can I Keep the Show on the Road?

Hey - wait a minute . . . in one of your previous posts you explained how gas prices are actually not so bad compared to gas prices in 1913 along the Lincoln Highway. (Just needed to tease you a bit).

I know prices are definitely higher than we'd like. Unfortunately, it's beyond me on how to solve that issue, but, you might want to take a look at the suggestions on our Road News page on ways to save money. And, now, I ask everyone on the AMERICAN ROAD® FORUM - what money saving travel tips do YOU use?

Look forward to hearing from everyone so that we can all Keep the Show on the Road!

:D

Becky

Ouch, hung on my own gas pump! Or 2YsUR,2YsUB,ICUR2Ys4Me!

Gasoline isn’t the primary cost of owning a vehicle, and it isn’t even the primary cost of traveling. If you travel 300 miles a day in an automobile that gets 20 miles to the gallon, the difference in daily cost when gasoline is $2.50 a gallon or $3.50 a gallon is $15. Not trivial, but probably not a budget buster in and of itself. None the less, how can I cut the cost of my auto trips, using my current vehicle?

I love to drive, and to travel. I confess I’m not checking the air in my tires more frequently, coasting on long down grades, or rolling down the windows to save on air conditioning. But we can cut our cost of travel and add to the fun. I argue you have to look at the full picture, not just at the cost of gasoline.

We picnic more and eat lunch less frequently in a restaurant. I figure that’s at least a net $4.00 saved (and a lot more for a family), and better yet, we have more fun. We stop where and when we like, pretend we are 18 again, and eat better.

Instead of spending a buck or more apiece for a cold drink or bottled water when we gas up, we carry a little cooler with some ice and soft drinks. It is there when we want it, and we don’t have to wait in line to buy it. Assuming two stops and 4 soft drinks, that’s at least $2.00 saved.

We enjoy eating dinner out, but we look for places that are special, not expensive. We scout the recommendations from American Road, and forum members. We save money, and I’m sure we have more fun. The cost savings here is so variable I won’t try to add it up, but my guess it is at least $5 to 10 bucks a dinner. Oh, BTY, don’t hesitate to read the menus often posted outside restaurants in tourist areas, or ask for one before you are seated. It’s your money.

With refrigerators and microwaves in many motel rooms, we should have fruit on granola with yogurt and some juice instead of a restaurant breakfast. It would cost half what we spend on breakfast in a restaurant, and be twice as good for us. You could save at least $5 plus tip!

We often use the little coupon books you see that give special motel rates. We carry our AAA tour book, and pick up a free coupon book on the road. We select the places we would consider staying in the AAA book, and then we cross reference to the coupon book. While we are still miles away, we call the places in the coupon book that met our standard based on the AAA book, and ask for their best rate. If it isn’t the coupon rate, we simply cite the coupon rate. Most of the time the clerk or owner will then offer the coupon rate, or very near it, especially off season. And there is a little forbidden pleasure when the fat cat next to you pays $20 or $30 more than you did for the same room. Also wherever possible, check out the places in American Road or recommended by forum members. They are usually less expensive, just as nice, and a lot more fun than most cookie cutter motels. Figure at least $10 saved.

Add it up and the savings exceed the increase in gasoline costs, and you are traveling healthier and happier

Now for those of you lucky enough to be driving a Behemoth 8, I can tell you how to get gasoline, not just cheaper, but free. Get rid of the Behemoth.

Do the arithmetic. Look at the AAA cost estimates. You will be shocked. I don’t care if you really want to drive a new $35,000 two ton Behemoth 8, but don’t whine about gas prices.

Just to cite the AAA study, it will cost you 37 cents a mile to operate a small sedan, 57 cents for a large sedan, and 60 cents for an SUV. This was when gasoline was $2.26 a gallon!! Add another 6 or so cents to each category to adjust to today’s gas prices.

So by driving a small sedan, not a big car or an SUV, the money you save is 20 cents or more a mile, or more than the cost of your gasoline! Your gasoline is free! In fact the price of gasoline can go to $5.00 or more a gallon and you are still getting it for nothing compared to what you would have paid with the Behemoth 8. Drive as far and as often as you like, and the gasoline is free.

Maybe that is a tiny bit fast and loose with the details and doesn’t deal with all the reasons you really need that big luxury vehicle, but the bottom line is, if you want to save money on gas and travel, drive a more fuel efficient vehicle.

Driving more and spending less, I try to Keep the Show on the Road

Edited by Keep the Show on the Road!

Seems as if we address this problem every summer, doesn't it? I'll toss in some random thoughts regarding saving money on the road in an attempt to compensate for higher gas prices.

We love our Chevy supercharged V6 Monte Carlo so all of my car thoughts are centered upon this. I supposed we could trade it or the old Vette for some type of ugly hybrid that gets 50 mpg but what the heck; you gotta have some pleasure in life. Besides, the Monte averaged 27.4 mpg on a 2004 trip to CA that included 66 going and interstate at high speeds on the return trip. Yeah, it requires premium fuel to keep from pinging but it runs like a mad dog with its tail on fire whenever I feel the need for speed or sails in auto-overdrive at less than two grand on the tach otherwise.

We carry 2 coolers at all times on the floor behind each seat. One contains cold happy hour fluid at an average cost of $.40 per container versus $2.00 to $2.75 in a saloon. This alone saves us a minimum of $10 per day. The second cooler is used for soda, water, tea, OJ, snacks, etc. that was purchased at Wally World at a fraction of what convenience stores or vending machines would cost. Estimated daily savings are $5.

We like mom 'n pop motels as much as anyone else but refuse to stay in any kind of dump just to save money. A room inspection is a must before actually checking in. Otherwise, we'll spend another thirty bucks or so for self comfort at a trendier place. Never, ever use the costly in-room phone for anything other than a local call. Besides, doesn't everyone have a cell? Or an On Star system?

We usually skip breakfast unless the motel provides it and then have a light lunch to save money and avoid sleapiness while cruisin'. The main meal of the day is dinner with or after happy hour and even then, we avoid buffets for health reasons. Don't know how much cash this saves us but we feel good about it.

All lodging, fuel, and "major" purchases are paid for with credit cards. This provides positive cash flow (enjoy the purchase now; pay later) and allows us to carry less actual cash. The key to this system is to be certain to pay the credit card bills in full each month to avoid an 18% or more interest charge.

Avoid impulse purchases for some gadget or cutsie thing that will just gather dust in the closet when you get back home.

Take lots of photos - digitally.

I don't know whether or not any of the above is actually a big deal but the system works for us. Happy Motoring.....Bliss

Seems as if we address this problem every summer, doesn't it? I'll toss in some random thoughts regarding saving money on the road in an attempt to compensate for higher gas prices.

We love our Chevy supercharged V6 Monte Carlo so all of my car thoughts are centered upon this. I supposed we could trade it or the old Vette for some type of ugly hybrid that gets 50 mpg but what the heck; you gotta have some pleasure in life. Besides, the Monte averaged 27.4 mpg on a 2004 trip to CA that included 66 going and interstate at high speeds on the return trip. Yeah, it requires premium fuel to keep from pinging but it runs like a mad dog with its tail on fire whenever I feel the need for speed or sails in auto-overdrive at less than two grand on the tach otherwise.

We carry 2 coolers at all times on the floor behind each seat. One contains cold happy hour fluid at an average cost of $.40 per container versus $2.00 to $2.75 in a saloon. This alone saves us a minimum of $10 per day. The second cooler is used for soda, water, tea, OJ, snacks, etc. that was purchased at Wally World at a fraction of what convenience stores or vending machines would cost. Estimated daily savings are $5.

We like mom 'n pop motels as much as anyone else but refuse to stay in any kind of dump just to save money. A room inspection is a must before actually checking in. Otherwise, we'll spend another thirty bucks or so for self comfort at a trendier place. Never, ever use the costly in-room phone for anything other than a local call. Besides, doesn't everyone have a cell? Or an On Star system?

We usually skip breakfast unless the motel provides it and then have a light lunch to save money and avoid sleapiness while cruisin'. The main meal of the day is dinner with or after happy hour and even then, we avoid buffets for health reasons. Don't know how much cash this saves us but we feel good about it.

All lodging, fuel, and "major" purchases are paid for with credit cards. This provides positive cash flow (enjoy the purchase now; pay later) and allows us to carry less actual cash. The key to this system is to be certain to pay the credit card bills in full each month to avoid an 18% or more interest charge.

Avoid impulse purchases for some gadget or cutsie thing that will just gather dust in the closet when you get back home.

Take lots of photos - digitally.

I don't know whether or not any of the above is actually a big deal but the system works for us. Happy Motoring.....Bliss

All very good tips! However, one thing I've done that saves time and reduces aerodynamic drag on my car is when I started getting a hair shave instead of a hair cut about 5 years ago. I save valuable road time by not having to dry it (since it's 1/4" thick) and reduce aerodynamic drag while traveling, thus decreasing fuel consumption. Your mileage may vary.

:cheers2:

All very good tips! However, one thing I've done that saves time and reduces aerodynamic drag on my car is when I started getting a hair shave instead of a hair cut about 5 years ago. I save valuable road time by not having to dry it (since it's 1/4" thick) and reduce aerodynamic drag while traveling, thus decreasing fuel consumption. Your mileage may vary.

:cheers2:

Great tip, Pat, and one that I had not thought of.....Bliss

• 3 weeks later...

There's an interesting article in today's Indy Star regarding the high gas prices, and why the midwest has the highest prices in the nation right now. Also, it breaks down the myth that stations are doing the gouging, when in reality, they're barely making anything on gasoline. Good read here: got gas?

There's an interesting article in today's Indy Star regarding the high gas prices, and why the midwest has the highest prices in the nation right now. Also, it breaks down the myth that stations are doing the gouging, when in reality, they're barely making anything on gasoline. Good read here: got gas?

Pat, A good bit of information.

In summary, the gas stations aren’t making the money, the price of crude is not that much higher, and the oil producers who are suffering from all the “regulations” and “production problems” are making the biggest profits in all of corporate history.

If you were president of an oil company and your profits skyrocketed when demand was high and production was restricted, would you build new capacity with your profits? Not if you wanted to keep your multimillion dollar salary!

I’m just a dummy. but even I know what makes the world go round. This is a closed market. New companies don’t enter the market and compete with the existing companies to drive prices down. There has not been a new oil refinery built in 30 years (says the article). The big boys don’t have to sit around a table and fix prices, they all know what is in their best interest.

Here is the simple truth. We will pay whatever the price at the pump, and forego something else so we can drive (including me). We have even said in surveys that we won’t change our demand until prices approach $5.00 a gallon. The oil companies know that.

In the long run we will acquire more fuel efficient vehicles and high prices at the pump will make alternative sources of energy to move our vehicles more viable. We could be enjoying some interesting changes in vehicles over the next decade. I’m already noticing those little scooter cars on our streets. (Does anyone remember the Crosley?) But for now, count on more of the same.

Would someone please tell me I’m wrong and explain why.

Keep the Show on the Road

If you were president of an oil company and your profits skyrocketed when demand was high and production was restricted, would you build new capacity with your profits? Not if you wanted to keep your multimillion dollar salary!

I’m just a dummy. but even I know what makes the world go round. This is a closed market. New companies don’t enter the market and compete with the existing companies to drive prices down. There has not been a new oil refinery built in 30 years (says the article). The big boys don’t have to sit around a table and fix prices, they all know what is in their best interest.

In the long run we will acquire more fuel efficient vehicles and high prices at the pump will make alternative sources of energy to move our vehicles more viable. We could be enjoying some interesting changes in vehicles over the next decade. I’m already noticing those little scooter cars on our streets. (Does anyone remember the Crosley?) But for now, count on more of the same.

Would someone please tell me I’m wrong and explain why.

Keep the Show on the Road

I can't find any flaws in your logic. I have no idea how long it takes to recover the cost on a refinery but I would imagine that it is spread out over many years. Why invest in a new refinery when things are working out just fine the way they are? The talk of alternative fuels would decrease the incentive to build a refinery even more.

The true downside of higher gas prices is the affect it will have on the entire economy. Paying more at the pump will mean maybe a few less movies a year, shorter road trips that will have an impact on the lodging and resturaunt industry, more weekends at home, holding off on purchasing that new camera, etc.etc.

Rick