American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Another Piece Of Old Lincoln Hwy

One last post in this area.

About 2.5 miles east of Schellbourne Bar & Cafe (Closed) on US 93 up Schellbourne Road to the east is a sign for the first transcontinental telegraph.

39 47.398 N 114 41.745 W

Telegraph1-1.jpg

There is also a piece of an original post. The sign said there are more stumps, but I didn't see any.

Telegraph2.jpg

Taking off from behind the sign are the tracks for the Overland Stage, then Pony Express, the first telegraph and finally the first Lincoln Hwy going west. The first .6 of a mile is driveable with high clearance. After that the road get pretty washed out through erosion in the many years. This section to old Lincoln Hwy is 2.1 miles and ends at old US 93, which is about a 1/2 mile east of modern US 93.

Overland11.jpg

The road here is kind of a sandy ditch, glad I was on my dirt bike.

Overland22.jpg

You can see where the old road washed out on the left and the newer one went to the right. In the background is Schellbourne Bar & Cafe and a couple trucks on the right

on the new highway.

Overland33.jpg

My last post in this area this year, thanks for coming along.

Dale

Edited by DaleS

Egads! The tracks show that I drove right by this without seeing it. I think that by that point, I was looking at the gas gauge as much as the roadside.

Wonderful photos and reporting. I've enjoyed it all and have a nice "to see" list for my next pass. Thanks.

One more thing, the west end of the Old Lincoln Hwy where it turns south on Old US 93 is at

39 48.160 N 114 43.909 W

Thank you all for the kind words.

I changed the alone to along.

Also changed Scellbourne Station to Schellbourne Bat & Cafe (Closed).

I may look for the Simpson Park Station near Austin next, moving that way.

Dale

Edited by DaleS

• 4 weeks later...

This has been an excellent trip! I'm glad you shared it with us. -Jim

INDEED!!!!

I've viewed the pictures and read through all of your posts on this trip. Holy cow ... so ... simply ... awesome! Very glad you shared it with us here.

:)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * CruiseNites_2011_Chi.IL *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It goes so fast" __ Jodee Messina __ 'Was That My Life?'